St.Andrews Utd

BigFifer

It was drs who has stated they were the worst team he has seen in the super league.

I just find it odd that there is or has been supposed interest for kelty for players in this team if drs is correct that they are a poor team.

They were under the previous manager the worst team I have seen this season in the Superleague but poor teams can have players in them who are better than their surroundings and who are coveted by other teams.

Its not bloomin rocket science.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange if true. I have heard it was the vast majority of the squad could just be rumours though.

I believe McGuire brought in the majority of the squad so maybe that's the reason. Either way the decision will all be down to the manager.

You do realise there are at least 8 Perth based players ?

Perth players are a fickle soft centred bunch (I hope Perthboy is reading). :thumsup2

Although I disagree with the management changes the players sign deals.

Spitting the dummy is poor fair.

Without naming names, some of them have already had more clubs than Tiger Woods.

Jeanfield also seem to be coping rather well in their absence.

Good Evening Super Big Lad

I have followed a lot of good sensible posts from yourself in the past, however, I am a little miffed in a few things?

Most of the Perth boys have been there for a season and a half now and I would raise the question to you...... Where did Jeanfield finish last season when they didn't need these players? THESE players that you talk of were too busy celebrating a promotion into the TOP super league. Jeanfield have done very well this season and credit to them in what I can only describe as the POOREST premier league I have seen for years so maybe luck is on their side.

Also, no one is 'spitting the dummy'. The facts stated are all true and am sure you will have read McGuire's piece today in The Sun. The unprofessional finding out through other channels that you are sacked is shambolic in any job. What chance has the Scottish game got when young managers are trying to succeed with successful footballing methods and get shot down for being too ambitious.

Any news on how training and meet the manager went last night?

I will add though Super Big Lad

The Tiger Woods comment did make me laugh. They have one player there in particular that has had more clubs than hot dinners, however, his dinners consist of a 24 course meal and the boy is a unit (bordering on Mark Yardley) to be fair. Still bangs in the goals now and again, tall at 6.4'' but jumps at 5.2".

All I can say is they have the experience with a few medals am sure they would be willing to show you as champions.....

I will add though Super Big Lad

The Tiger Woods comment did make me laugh. They have one player there in particular that has had more clubs than hot dinners, however, his dinners consist of a 24 course meal and the boy is a unit (bordering on Mark Yardley) to be fair. Still bangs in the goals now and again, tall at 6.4'' but jumps at 5.2".

All I can say is they have the experience with a few medals am sure they would be willing to show you as champions.....

Here's me thinking Tayport won the Premier League last season as well.

I would also plead guilty to recommending one of the soft centre boys who McGuire proceeded to sign.

There not all bad. 8)

You do realise there are at least 8 Perth based players ?

Perth players are a fickle soft centred bunch (I hope Perthboy is reading). :thumsup2

Although I disagree with the management changes the players sign deals.

Spitting the dummy is poor fair.

Without naming names, some of them have already had more clubs than Tiger Woods.

Jeanfield also seem to be coping rather well in their absence.

Bang out of order Al, may I remind you Perth teams do win things!!????????????????

They make them tougher in Perth these days, unlike in your day.????

Which 1 did you recommend, spill!! I'm thinking he's a defender??

Besides, what do goalies know about outfield players!!????????

Give credit where it's due lads, the Swifts can only beat the teams put in front of them. The lad Gunnion is doing great on a much reduced budget & his 1st managerial job!!

Hopefully he'll do a Phil McGuire!!????

Was hearing last night that a smallish number of boys turned up for training which included two of Phil's coaches?

The new manager also took training by himself and hadn't any help with him which is a hard enough task as it is with all that is going on. Am sure he maybe should have had someone to help him on the big night before a huge game on Saturday. Billy Burgerseed would have jumped at the chance am sure...

The words regarding "Big Boom Bassett" have been positive with nothing being the new managers fault. I do hope he gets his backroom staff in asap for the lads sake and also his own sake as he leaving himself open for criticism already. But Gold Dust does wish him the best of luck and success......

Last thing to note PerthBoy ya big Jessie.......... Credit was given to them as I said in my post....... I hope you're well.....

Phil McGuire and the Perth Mob...

Scary how much support Phil McGuire is getting on here. Has everyone got short memories? St. Andrews were promoted by the skin of their teeth last season and even after a last 2 month collapse where they only won 2/3 games out of 8?

As for this season, after a good start St. Andrews have completely lost their way!! 1 point from the last 8/9 games by anyone's stretch of the imagination is very very poor! Having read Phil's Manager Talk (this season) it seems none of the defeats were the players fault or the coaches etc.

I think the junior football scene needs a reality check about what he achieved here. He had at least the 2nd biggest budget in the PL last year and he finished 2nd!

This season he has maybe a bottom half budget and he is 2nd bottom! No matter what the fans / players say Football is about results!!

Please someone tell me anything i am saying is false here or unfair?

Very good post and all points valid but my understanding was St Andrews were building a community club for the future which he was doing.

If they preferred results on the pitch too building a club they should of told him that when he took the job then maybe he would of concentrated on that instead of building a community club which seemed to be there remit.

Phil McGuire and the Perth Mob...

Scary how much support Phil McGuire is getting on here. Has everyone got short memories? St. Andrews were promoted by the skin of their teeth last season and even after a last 2 month collapse where they only won 2/3 games out of 8?

As for this season, after a good start St. Andrews have completely lost their way!! 1 point from the last 8/9 games by anyone's stretch of the imagination is very very poor! Having read Phil's Manager Talk (this season) it seems none of the defeats were the players fault or the coaches etc.

I think the junior football scene needs a reality check about what he achieved here. He had at least the 2nd biggest budget in the PL last year and he finished 2nd!

This season he has maybe a bottom half budget and he is 2nd bottom! No matter what the fans / players say Football is about results!!

Please someone tell me anything i am saying is false here or unfair?

I do note some things you mention here Gaffer. Now the memories that you talk off are very simple, McGuire set out to set up a community club and bring through youth, that being local as well as other senior avenues that he and the coaching staff had and also to get a squad (4 boys at that point) into the superleague within 2 years, yes Gaffer, that's right 2 years. So the youth system got underway with young teams of St Monans and the Colts coming in for training and Phil and his coaching staff watching games, young lads with senior clubs were brought in also to try and develop and give them experience. He built a squad of boys who he believed would follow his philosophy and tried to treat them like senior players playing in a junior league. He gained the respect of the players hence how successful they were. Now these memories you talk off...... promotion on a first season???? sorry am struggling not to laugh here but the big goal was achieved one, that's right, 1 year Gaffer..... celebrating memories even though they finished the season poor and realistically didn't deserve the championship although if they hadn't of had to play about 8 games in 15 days they might have won it lol

Again youth have trained and played in preseason and have been in and out of training and spare time was given looking at youths. A similar squad hasn't helped to last year for whatever reasons and the league table doesn't lie, however, this is no where near a crisis, 2 wins puts them up to about 10th and the latest football they had played was good and improving. So for an overachieving manager to be released of his duties is a complete embarrassment. So what if he never got them promoted and they were sitting 1st 2nd or 3rd in the premier this season? would he be sacked? No I don't think so. I think also you will find it's not only the "Perth Mob" sticking by him, there's other players who have requested to move on. So, big coincidence that the boy McGuire gets the punt and more than half the squad want away? Come on batman... surely your not that daft?

if you read his columns correctly you would have seen players injured, suspended, away on holidays..... these things happen yes, however, still got promoted and overachieved and also turned down a senior club to commit to saints and a youth set up for the community.......

Gold dust do you know the names that have asked to go on the transfer list?

I have heard that the "Perth Mafia" all want to set sail elsewhere, the new boy elder, possibly Buchan, the loaned players are away back to their parent clubs also and talk of maybe another 2 or 3 still to talk to the manager/committee....... however, clubs need to come in with fee's for these lads before they can move and to be fair I'd be getting down the shop and offering chocolate buttons for them, or a kebab for someone in particular...... :P

Did not make it down, as forgot (honestly) I was out on the lash in Dundee this afternoon.

How many saints players were "unavailable" ?

I am christmas shopping myself in the Fair City tomorrow if the shops were busy today.

Archived