St.Andrews Utd

BigFifer

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appreciate that, but he's getting the chance to prove himself at higher level. Some boys mite like his ideas and stay. Plus he mite have new contacts. Looks like St A like the idea of him having ammy contacts - that's the interesting bit!!!

Big step up from Fife Ammies too Superleague, Only time will tell if its the right decision but good luck too him.There are a few cracking amateur players he may try and get but would they step up too junior?. There will be reasons why they play amateur and im sure other junior clubs in the area have tried before too sign these guys too no avail.

Potentially, but with players asking to leave wont imagine it being a fantastic first opportunity for the new manager.

They were going down with the previous manager in charge, the change at least gives them a chance to stay up.

Ignore DRS as he appears to have a bee in his bunnet about McGuire.

What I would say on the subject is recently Saints have had some hugely knowledgeable coaches in McGuire and Hannah amongst others.

I prepare to be wholeheartedly wrong, but Amateur coaching in my experience, is on a different planet and not in a good way.

I agree. Phill obviously has a vast experience at the top level. The assistant Stevie has fantastic knowledge of both the club and junioir football and Daryn smith has played at a high level for a number of

Years himself.in my opinion if these guys can't propel a team from bottom of the league to safety then this new boy has not got a chance.

Ignore DRS as he appears to have a bee in his bunnet about McGuire.

You seem upset.

I've seen them and they were by far the worst team I've seen in the Superleague, managing in the top flight seemed beyond him and they looked certain to go down. Changing the manager allows the new guy to bring in new players and put in place new ideas that may, just may, keep them up.

I agree. Phill obviously has a vast experience at the top level. The assistant Stevie has fantastic knowledge of both the club and junioir football and Daryn smith has played at a high level for a number of

Years himself.in my opinion if these guys can't propel a team from bottom of the league to safety then this new boy has not got a chance.

Having experience of the top level or a higher level doesnt automatically make you a good manager, its such outdated thinking that holds back Scottish football.

What also holds back Scottish football is clubs with terrible conditions, where parks cannot survive a shower of rain.

What top level experience generally does give you is good coaching and respect of players. Yes it may not work out in terms of results.

The committee in their wisdom deem this group of players and financial spend should be returning a top 6 finish.

Are they correct ? only time will tell.

I fear for an amateur coach under these circumstances.

You just can't buy experience at this level and in my opinion McGuire and his backroom done a very professional job at St Andrews. With a massive squad of 4 signed players last summer and an ambitious vision of getting the Saints into the Superleague within two years he started his project. With his experience and contacts and a limited budget (I believe) due to past managers overspending, he was able to assemble a small squad and quickly had them believing in his style of football. It didn't take him 2 seasons to get them up, he done it in 1 season and made the place a more professional club on and off the park.

The summer signings I do see where limited for whatever reason? possibly money again so again he had the thankless task of having a similar squad. With 4 games played they were top of the league so can't be that bad DRS. Injuries and boys away hasn't helped and the table doesn't lie, but the last few performances were encouraging and the players looked like they were hurting with defeats.

So for a manager to overachieve and get sacked I think is shocking and the committee where very premature in making this decision. He also had an interest in the youth set up and had included lads in at the training which from a community side of things is great.

Maybe shows the way forward that they have appointed an amateur manager that nobody has heard of, barney blunkett or something? anyway I am looking forward to see what contacts he has in football and if he brings in amateurs then it will be the last I visit The Parkk.

You just can't buy experience at this level and in my opinion McGuire and his backroom done a very professional job at St Andrews. With a massive squad of 4 signed players last summer and an ambitious vision of getting the Saints into the Superleague within two years he started his project. With his experience and contacts and a limited budget (I believe) due to past managers overspending, he was able to assemble a small squad and quickly had them believing in his style of football. It didn't take him 2 seasons to get them up, he done it in 1 season and made the place a more professional club on and off the park.

The summer signings I do see where limited for whatever reason? possibly money again so again he had the thankless task of having a similar squad. With 4 games played they were top of the league so can't be that bad DRS. Injuries and boys away hasn't helped and the table doesn't lie, but the last few performances were encouraging and the players looked like they were hurting with defeats.

So for a manager to overachieve and get sacked I think is shocking and the committee where very premature in making this decision. He also had an interest in the youth set up and had included lads in at the training which from a community side of things is great.

Maybe shows the way forward that they have appointed an amateur manager that nobody has heard of, barney blunkett or something? anyway I am looking forward to see what contacts he has in football and if he brings in amateurs then it will be the last I visit The Parkk.

I get a lot of the points you have made but regarding budget slashed i would almost guarentee St Andrews budget for this season will be greater than a lot of Superleague teams. The problem they have always had is attracting players too that part of the world hence theyve had too pay over the odds in wages, They have had an up and down few years and needed a bit stability. This decision does seems bizarre but as Big P stated the new chairman and new manager go back a bit with a previous amateur club. Mcguire maybe wasnt getting results on the park at present but seemed to be building a Community club rather than a team, The new chairman obviously feels there needs to be a change in direction but id be amazed if they managed too stay up this year.

I do agree with two points there Journeyman, attracting players within that area is very hard, however, with contacts myself throughout the juniors, I do understand that they are one of the teams that have a set wage structure and will be one of the lower more sensible payers in the Superleague. The second point is that he brought stability and a belief in a bunch of lads put together that they could go on a journey and gain promotion (which they did).....

Now, if the chairman knows, billy blunkett, or whatever hes called, then surely on a professional level he should not be bringing in "pals" to the club as ypou should not mix business with pleasure. Personally I think it is the wrong move and the players backs will be up from the offset. I would not fancy the job if I was him and its going to be difficult for him, not only to get the players respect but also to pull out results. I do fear the worst for these bunch of honest guys as the level of professionalism that they are used to will spiral into oblivion.

An honest, hardworking young manager who turned down Stenhousmuir last season to help build a club has been done bigtime for having ambition.

Will be a busy few weeks for the new manager. A lot of lads are out if contract in the summer. Big questions in regards to his and the commuters characters let the boys leave for free in the summer or ask for sensible fees soon so there is no Pre contracts agreed.??

Archived