Aberdeen v Heart of Midlothian

All about the money, what a shallow and misguided definition of caring you have.

Oh and better side in the second half? :lol:

Whether we were better is arguable but we did have the better chances in the second half.

So for you caring only goes as far as the point at which you have to put your hand in your pocket?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whether we were better is arguable but we did have the better chances in the second half.

So for you caring only goes as far as the point at which you have to put your hand in your pocket?

No, clearly I mean money is neither a substitute for genuine sentiment nor a measure of it.

You did play better in the second than you did in the first half but it would have been quite a different game if you'd been punished correctly for the fouling or if Leveinson's tactics weren't long ball + punt Jonny Hayes into the stand.

Every time we play someone this " YOUZ ARE A SHITE BOTTOM HALF TEAM " gets trotted out. We will comfortably get a European place this leagues shite deal with it.

In the pre season prediction thread there were a load of fantasists suggesting that Hearts would be primarily concerned with surviving in the top flight.

I said we'd be 4th behind Celtic (obviously), Aberdeen (who appeared to be the finished article) and whichever of the lightweight clubs happened to have a wonderful season.

If anything I'm more optimistic now.

From my biased point of view, over the piece yesterday, we deserved that win. The game was handled atrociously by Craig Thomson, but I'll come back to that later on.

First half, bar the first 10 minutes, we were in total control of the match. Hayes and Paterson had a good duel down the one side with Hayes starting to get the better of him as the half went on. Flood and Shinnie controlled the play and we created a few chances. Considine could have placed his header better and Alexander made two or three impressive saves. I felt we got more out of Pawlett on the right wing in the first half, where him and McGhee had another good battle. Hearts were quite lop sided with very little on offer on their right wing, which I'd have targetted with Considine in there. I'm not quite sure how Pallardo survived without a red card, but fair play to Robbie Neilson for recognising it and changing. Hearts never really got going after a good start and got pinned back, it is to their credit that they stood firm.

After the break, I felt we lost both Pawlett and Hayes early in the second half when they switched wings, and we never got Pawlett back into the game at all. McLean grew in importance as the game rumbled on, offering plenty in between the lines and opening the game well. Jack and Flood had their usual performance when played together, good enough to get by most teams but ultimately getting on top of each other. Considine and Taylor looked relatively decent together, the Juanma chance aside. Ward's save was tremendous and was a real game changer. Rooney really should have buried McLean's cross, a wee glance would have done it. McInnes made the right sub by changing Pawlett for Goodwillie, and made it at the right time. Frequently, McInnes gets criticism for being too late with his subs, yesterday was a good exception.

The goal was a moment of madness by young McGhee, which we gladly took advantage of. In the end, it was a deserved victory.

Earler in the season, after the game at Tynecastle, I criticised Hearts's cynical approach. I have to do much the same after yesterday. But Hearts are entitled to play that way, should they wish to. It is up to the referee to deal with that, and it is fair to say Craig Thomson woefully failed. The game was littered with cynical play, and for there to be 38 fouls in a game and no red cards is quite astonishing. The game at Tynecastle was exactly the same, with 41 fouls, which were more evenly split, and that was also very surprising to see no red cards that day.

That Pallardo survived to be taken off was beyond belief, every person with half a brain in that ground yesterday could see he should have been dismissed for the challenge on Hayes on the touchline, and he had been lucky to escape without action for his challenge on Shinnie before his caution. Jordan McGhee was lucky to be on the park to handle the ball, as he should have been cautioned midway through the first half for wiping Hayes out in front of the Hearts dugout. And that Juanma escaped a caution in spite of the numerous niggly fouls he made was surprising. I am sure Hearts fans would say similarly that Thomson let us away with some foul play as well, which says a lot about the refereeing performance yesterday. It was atrocious, one of the worst for a long time, and I am not usually in the business of criticising referees.

On the topic of Hearts, I mentioned previously that I felt that you were quite lop-sided with little threat up the right wing. I know that Walker is injured, but is there another winger you could play out there, perhaps Billy King? Too much of your play missed Nicholson out yesterday. When you got Nicholson involved, things started to be created, but after the good 15 minute spell in the second, he was lost again from the game. Also, I feel Juanma and Osman Sow are too similar when played against the better teams in the division. For great spells of yesterday's game, Juanma offered very little, while Sow more effectively held the ball up. Sow is a quick player but if he is holding the play up, he cannot turn and run as easily. A smaller, nipper option next to Sow would offer a better combination when playing against the better teams in the division. If that is not available, perhaps you could push Djoum in behind Sow and have two wingers, with Pallardo and Buaben sitting. I feel the front men didn't offer enough for you yesterday.

Ultimately, it was pleasing to get three points out of a bruising encounter. Losing Reynolds will be a real blow from the game, but it was a good afternoon's work.

Here's a question:

See if a player has been yellow-carded?

Should their next foul merit an automatic red, no matter how innocuous the challenge?

If you commit two bookable offences you should be sent off.

You're correct - since Pallardo's challenge just after he'd been yellow carded wasn't a yellow card offence, he wasn't sent off.

There was no attempt to get the ball, just to break up a promising attack. About 2 minutes before his booking he got away with a dive as well.

There was no attempt to get the ball, just to break up a promising attack. About 2 minutes before his booking he got away with a dive as well.

This thing about Hearts being overtly physical yesterday has been massively over-played.

Dons fans were screaming for cards every time there was a challenge - we do it at Tynecastle too! :lol:

You're correct - since Pallardo's challenge just after he'd been yellow carded wasn't a yellow card offence, he wasn't sent off.

On this one, I partly agree with AberDon, Pallardo broke up a promising attacking move, which is a caution in every football game. The fact that Robbie Neilson reacted so quickly as to take him off suggests that he knew that he'd got away with it and wasn't willing to risk a red. It was a second caution all day long.

On the part I disagree with, I canna mind the dive.

Not usually in the business of criticising referees, often it's a lazy and convenient excuse for teams who perform terribly, but I'll make an exception on this one, I thought Craig Thomson was utterly rotten. He was similarly rotten in our win over Celtic, when he should have sent Andy Considine off for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

This thing about Hearts being overtly physical yesterday has been massively over-played.

Dons fans were screaming for cards every time there was a challenge - we do it at Tynecastle too! :lol:

Just the 25 fouls, right enough.

As you've been watching Hearts all season, you may not be aware that that is not normal.

Archived