Aberdeen v Heart of Midlothian

Aberdeen seem to be coming back into a bit of form whereas it feels like we've lost a bit of momentum with the international break, a couple of frustrating draws and the postponement yesterday. There is definitely a question mark over Neilson in these types of games, with the bizarre team selection in the Tynecastle game being an example. Hopefully he doesn't try to be overly tactical with his team selection this time and we simply play the strongest team available (or close enough). I'd be happy with a point.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we particularly blow hot and cold compared to the rest of the league. We won our first five games before a sticky three-game patch in September and we haven't lost in the eight games since rejigging the defence, conceding only 4 goals in that time. My OP probably comes across a bit negatively in that context but we've rarely looked all that impressive in games against Hibs, Rangers and Aberdeen under Neilson. He's undeniably done a great job so far but I think he's tended to overthink in these games (McHattie as part of a back three, Juanma and Reilly on the wings...) and I've always got the sense that the other team seems more fired up. Hopefully that changes next Saturday.

It's hard to know exactly what team we should pick. Juanma and Sow seem to be gelling as a partnership (I think Sow's game benefits more from this partnership than Juanma's) but I'm not a big fan of 4-4-2 with wingers, especially away at Pittodrie. I think Djoum might be moved out to the right with Buaben and Pallardo in midfield, although I don't really want to marginalise a guy who's been in great form in recent weeks. The obvious alternative would be to move Sow out wide and have Djoum as the most advanced midfielder of a three and, although this doesn't get the best out of Sow, I'm leaning towards this for now.

Alexander

Paterson Augustyn Rossi McGhee

Buaben Pallardo

Sow Djoum Nicholson

Juanma

I've stuck McGhee at left-back but I don't think he's been as good in that position as many are making out, nor that Oshaniwa has been as bad, so I'm not all that fussed.

McGhee is very much like Ruben Palazuelos and Eggert Jonsson were at full back: does a job, and that's it. He's marginally better defensively than Juwon atm, so I'd be inclined to start him as well.

I'd go with McGhee as well.

A concern about Oshaniwa, perhaps more than his ability, might be that, when the going gets tough, he just might not fancy it - we'll see, I suppose.

I think the main thing is that McGhee has earned the start with some decent performances.

In the absence of Walker and King, I'd maybe start with Djoum at right mid, where he played well a few weeks ago - Swanson still doesn't seem too sharp at the moment. So:

Alexander

Paterson - Augustyn - Rossi - McGhee

Djoum - Pallardo - Gomis - Nicholson

Sow - Juanma

Subs: Hamilton, Oshaniwa, Buaben, Swanson, Reilly, Liam Smith, Buchanan.

Although, apparently, Ozturk is due for a place on the bench.

Back in Scotland for this one! Looking forward to getting back to Pittodrie and really boosted by our good performance yesterday. If that sort of Aberdeen team turn up I would be confident of victory.

I am cautiously optimistic. Over the past 135 minutes of football, we appear to have rediscovered something resembling the form that culminated in the triumph at Tynecastle.

McGinn was bordering on unplayable in the first half yesterday, and I'm hoping that the substitution was a matter of precaution rather than necessity. Jack's return to fitness does pose a question about how we start in midfield: does McInnes retain Flood and Shinnie with Considine at left-back, or does he restore Jack alongside Flood and replace Considine with Shinnie? My instinct is the latter, but McInnes, despite being a fairly conservative manager, can be difficult to predict.

I think our line-up will look something like this: Ward; Logan, Taylor, Reynolds, Shinnie; Jack, Flood; McGinn, McLean, Hayes; Rooney.

I expect it to be tighter than the reverse fixture, but I'm hopeful that we have the slight edge. 1-0 Dons.

I am cautiously optimistic. Over the past 135 minutes of football, we appear to have rediscovered something resembling the form that culminated in the triumph at Tynecastle.

McGinn was bordering on unplayable in the first half yesterday, and I'm hoping that the substitution was a matter of precaution rather than necessity. Jack's return to fitness does pose a question about how we start in midfield: does McInnes retain Flood and Shinnie with Considine at left-back, or does he restore Jack alongside Flood and replace Considine with Shinnie? My instinct is the latter, but McInnes, despite being a fairly conservative manager, can be difficult to predict.

I think our line-up will look something like this: Ward; Logan, Taylor, Reynolds, Shinnie; Jack, Flood; McGinn, McLean, Hayes; Rooney.

I expect it to be tighter than the reverse fixture, but I'm hopeful that we have the slight edge. 1-0 Dons.

Pawlett looked like Zico when he came on yesterday and must surely be in with a shout of a start.

Be interesting to see which manager fucks their tactics more for this one. McInnes will go three at the back while Neilson will go with one up front but have five centre forwards on the pitch. Shud be gud

Will be a tough game for us, Aberdeen looked good yesterday and appear to finding a bit of form again. I'd be happy with a point tbh, especially seeing as how we could fall 7 behind if we get beat after the postponement yesterday.

We've looked a lot better defensively recently so hopefully we won't see a repeat of the shambles that was the game at Tynecastle. Hopefully Neilson has learned from the poor tactical decisions he made that day and we won't see Juanma bumbling about on the left wing again.

We've definitely got enough quality to take something from this, but I'm not overly confident at this stage.

Quick side note, my friend and I are heading up on the Friday. Where's good to go in Aberdeen on a Friday night?

McInnes could always drop Flood and play Shinnie and Jack in Centre Mid but I doubt he'll do that. I'd expect Jack for Considinho to be the only change from Dens.

As someone else said McGinn was just about unplayable in the opening 45 at Dens, he did that to someone else earlier in the season to fairly devastating effect. Answers on a postcard.

We're much improved defensively since the last time we played, and despite a couple disappointing draws in a row are unbeaten in 8. We have to be at our best but we can definitely get something from this game, but if we're slow out the traps, or try to play a slow containing game, Aberdeen look like they are back in a bit of form and could hurt us.

Narrow 2-1 for Hearts.

Neilson Levein with shit a brick and go 4-5-1 looking for a draw.

Yes Please.

We tried taking the game to them and restricting them to hitting on the break last time. That worked out badly.

But this is a distraction from the real issue.

What's the standard of plumbing at Pittodrie these days?

Archived