New Forth Road Bridge - Open/Closed still shit

D.A.F.C

A drivers license I'd guess.

I'm fairly sure the highway code wouldn't cover it (although it's a bloody long time since I sat my test)

It's just one of those driving etiquette things - like when you reward someone for letting you through a gap by squeezing past with one hand off the steering wheel and waving whilst looking at them rather than the road ahead.

I'm fairly sure the highway code wouldn't cover it (although it's a bloody long time since I sat my test)

It's just one of those driving etiquette things - like when you reward someone for letting you through a gap by squeezing past with one hand off the steering wheel and waving whilst looking at them rather than the road ahead.

It's not etiquette though, it's classic sheep behaviour.

If everyone moves over early, it simply pulls back the pinch point and increases the length of the queue. Whereas if both lanes are filled and merge-in-turn is adopted at the closure, you split the queue over two lanes and keep traffic moving further back.

It's not etiquette though, it's classic sheep behaviour.

If everyone moves over early, it simply pulls back the pinch point and increases the length of the queue. Whereas if both lanes are filled and merge-in-turn is adopted at the closure, you split the queue over two lanes and keep traffic moving further back.

Aye but folk don't let those that cruise to the end in and it starts to snarl up, or those nipping in late cause other drivers to brake and the effect 'concertinas' back through the line of traffic causing stoppages.

I seem to have spent half my life in roadworks and the ones that move the smoothest are the ones where folk move over early.

Ignore SSD, he's talking pish. Northbound has been an absolute doddle all week.

Your quickest route to Dundee would be over the Clacks Bridge to Gartarry Roundabout then take the A977 to Kinross and join the M90.

Bollocks. Northbound has been a doddle all week. The police have been doing a good job keeping the traffic flowing and it's only taken me maybe two minutes longer than usual on the bridge approach road.

Shite. I picked the wee one up from nursery in Larbert at half three this afternoon. Traffic around the bridge was a fucking nightmare. Took me an hour to get home to Polmont.

Sounds like you want a weird way to get back to Polmont? Larbert Day Nursery your weans in?? My wife used to be a Nursery Teacher in there before transferring.

Joined the motorway at Torwood, thinking the traffic wouldn't be so bad Eastbound. Was a nightmare.

Avoid.. !!

The Clacks and Kincardine Bridges have been rammed all week all the time.

I have to go over one of them every day and its choca whatever the time so continue on the M9 past the prudential cut off at Stirling then join the A90 dual carriageway at the Keir roundabout near Dunblane

I'm afraid that's pish, The Clacks has been fine each of the last three mornings heading south about 8.20 or so. Northbound it's obviously busy heading home in the evening but it's not a nightmare. I had a half day today and scooted across with no delay whatsoever.

Edit: actually, it's maybe just been the last two mornings it's been fine. In any event, it's definitely getting better. Obviously traffic is heavier than usual but it's not the nightmare that some are making out. At least not all the time.

Edited by Pull My Strings

Three hours twenty minutes to Palmerston earlier, two hours dead coming home.

I'm not going to complain about the bridge closure but the fucking mess in the middle with all the road works (average speed 50 section) what a f**k up.

Three hours twenty minutes to Palmerston earlier, two hours dead coming home.

I'm not going to complain about the bridge closure but the fucking mess in the middle with all the road works (average speed 50 section) what a f**k up.

M8/M73/M74? Absolute disaster area, Raith interchange at Bothwell is a nightmare.

Why did they never build a tunnel under the Forth?

A 1 mile undersea section, surely that could have been built when, for example, the Channel Tunnel has a 23.5 mile undersea section.

Edit to add: According to the link an immersed tube tunnel (ITT) could have been built for £450m. New Queensferry Crossing budget is about £1.4 billion.

http://www.howeweb.talktalk.net/tag/tunnels.htm

Edited by FlyerTon

Why did they never build a tunnel under the Forth?

A 1 mile undersea section, surely that could have been built when, for example, the Channel Tunnel has a 23.5 mile undersea section.

Edit to add: According to the link an immersed tube tunnel (ITT) could have been built for £450m. New Queensferry Crossing budget is about £1.4 billion.

http://www.howeweb.talktalk.net/tag/tunnels.htm

A very cursory reading of that link suggests the argument for a tunnel may have been overstated. For example the £450M is for the tunnel only, i.e. it doesn't include the roads or other infrastructure. It also suggests that a new bridge will take 12 years to build.

I've no axe to grind either way but the most obvious answer to why a bridge rather than a tunnel is that a bridge is the better solution.

Well thanks for that whining irrelevant little whimsy, but don't try be a smart arse if you're going to take stupid routes home.

Billy Dynamite was talking about crossing in the morning, which I have done every day this week during peak times. Very little delays at all given the increased volume of traffic. I'd imagine Sunday morning will also be a bit quieter. Southbound coming from Fife has been very busy mind you, as has the bridge in general in the afternoons.

Given the well documented traffic and delays, I'd say it was bound to be "a fucking nightmare" if you're going to take that bizarre route from Larbert to Polmont. Surely from Larbert you'd have been much quicker going via Stenhousemuir to Carronshore, Skinflats and Grangemouth, or Stenhousemuir, Bainsford, round by Bankside and up by the Falkirk Stadium?

post-31698-0-00418700-1449913583.jpg

Given the well documented traffic and delays, I'd say it was bound to be "a fucking nightmare" if you're going to take that bizarre route from Larbert to Polmont. Surely from Larbert you'd have been much quicker going via Stenhousemuir to Carronshore, Skinflats and Grangemouth, or Stenhousemuir, Bainsford, round by Bankside and up by the Falkirk Stadium?

Only if there was not one single other car out on the road. However, usually, either of those routes is polluted by Falkirk's "drive at 25mph and like a complete walloper" club. Motorway is better, for Larbert to Grangemouth or Polmont.