New Forth Road Bridge - Open/Closed still shit

D.A.F.C

• 4 months later...

I expect the Forth Road Bridge will be busy this morning as news breaks that there's nothing stopping you using it - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-43824150

Here's an idea, if you have two bridges and one is empty whilst the other is chock-a-block with queues, use both bridges. 

Some car drivers are still illegally using the Forth Road Bridge to travel between Fife and Edinburgh - prompting calls for a crackdown.

There is no pedestrian access to the Queensferry Crossing because cyclists, walkers and buses are meant to have sole use of the Forth Road Bridge.

However, monitoring has shown about 100 vehicles a day are using the bridge.

Transport Scotland said it hopes educating drivers will stop it but an MSP says rules should be enforced.

Lib Dem MSP Alex Cole-Hamilton believes motorists are simply trying to avoid queues on the new bridge, and he is calling for fines to be imposed on those caught breaking the regulations.

Walking across the Forth Road Bridge is on my Bucket List. Yes, my Bucket List is that shit.

Anyway, I wouldn’t have walked it while the cars were there, but I might do it sometime now. I say, jail these irresponsible drivers for 10 years.

8 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Walking across the Forth Road Bridge is on my Bucket List. Yes, my Bucket List is that shit.

Anyway, I wouldn’t have walked it while the cars were there, but I might do it sometime now. I say, jail these irresponsible drivers for 10 years.

Used to cycle over it all the time going to and from work and it was a bit disconcerting at first. On a road bike you’re sitting higher up that the guardrail, the whole thing bounces about and there’s a strong side wind.

Edited by Shandon Par
Bright light induced typo

• 3 months later...
Used to cycle over it all the time going to and from work and it was a bit disconcerting at first. On a road bike you’re sitting higher up that the guardrail, the whole thing bounces about and there’s a strong side wind.

I walked across it in July. It was a nice walk without all the cars and lorries.

Bridge collapses in Genoa

Collapsed-Morandi-Bridge-Genoa-1003225.jpg.44b87243e9f16cdd25b57c7329c2d926.jpg

the structure was built in the 1960s and undergoing repairs

Hmmm.

To clarify which Forth bridge do you think will plummet into the Forth and when? We could start a book.

Rail Bridge?

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Hmmm.

To clarify which Forth bridge do you think will plummet into the Forth and when? We could start a book.

Rail Bridge?

Ummm, the one built in the 60s and under repair perhaps?

9 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Got you. Unlikely now the main traffic is the odd bus or bike.

the rail bridge is the one.

The rail bridge will probably outlast the other two. It was massively over engineered after some fool let Dundonians try to build one across the Tay.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The rail bridge will probably outlast the other two. It was massively over engineered after some fool let Dundonians try to build one across the Tay.

The one that collapsed had been the work of a Welsh engineer.

The bits at either end don’t look massively over engineered.

11 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

The bits at either end don’t look massively over engineered.

I'm not an engineer but I'd imagine that's because it's not a suspension bridge so doesn't need big anchors either end.

29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Fun fact: The Forth Bridge was supposed to be the same design as the Tay Bridge, although  events in 1879 made them reconsider that plan somewhat.

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Fun fact: The Forth Bridge was supposed to be the same design as the Tay Bridge, although  events in 1879 made them reconsider that plan somewhat.

After the Tay Bridge was re-designed as an open air tunnel?