Remember Subbuteo?

Kneeling on a player was feckin sore!

I remember my big brother coming in steaming some nights and standing on my players and breaking them and no amount of sympathetic ;

" I will buy you new ones son" at the time from the mother could ever make up for the heartbreak of losing a few original and sentimental subbuteo players , I remember the pack I got even had wee black sticky on numbers to put on the players backs :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember my big brother coming in steaming some nights and standing on my players and breaking them and no amount of sympathetic ;

" I will buy you new ones son" at the time from the mother could ever make up for the heartbreak of losing a few original and sentimental subbuteo players , I remember the pack I got even had wee black sticky on numbers to put on the players backs :)

The players were all different heights depending on the amount of glue on their feet.

I loved it had the full staduim floodlights, fans n everything lol Bankies shared the same strip as stuttgart.

Mon the papers

I couldn't afford the full official stadium nonsense as I was too young but I watched blue peter constantly at the time and I sure knew how to improvise ;

I got an old shoe box and transformed it into a makeshift stand and filled it with my Star Wars figures and that was my subbuteo crowd , remember one night I scored a top corner and I looked into C3PO's and Luke skywalkers eyes and I swear they were even getting excited at the quality of the goal as they nearly moved . :);)

The players were all different heights depending on the amount of glue on their feet.

You really couldn't beat a subbuteo player- super glue makeover to try and get him back in the game.

I ended up with guys that resembled a human form of the leaning tower of Pisa & with humps on their backs that could slide up church bells all night long but it was all about getting them back on that pitch via super glue. :)

Do they still sell it ? Yous boys have got me in the mood to go to ma mum s and get it oot and have a game ⚽️⚽️⚽️

I bought a new one from the toy store in St Enoch centre 2 years ago mate but it's not the real deal.

The players aren't individual moulds now and it's almost like cardboard cut outs that slot into a base and the balls are plain white with subbuteo written on them, back in the day we had mitre delta balls on the go red and blue mitre signs against the prominent white ball.

After a quick google search happy to say u can get the basic game with 2 sides for £29.99 at ToysRUs. Plenty of teams on Amazon for £8 to £15. The Referee set is £8.....................and you can snap up a female streaker for £8.99. At one time there was a streaker set featuring a naked man and a naked women but it appears to have been discontinued !!

After a quick google search happy to say u can get the basic game with 2 sides for £29.99 at ToysRUs. Plenty of teams on Amazon for £8 to £15. The Referee set is £8.....................and you can snap up a female streaker for £8.99. At one time there was a streaker set featuring a naked man and a naked women but it appears to have been discontinued !!

A female streaker for £8.99 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would rather just buy a real life one in a pub a glass of red wine and save myself a fiver . :);)

I bought a new one from the toy store in St Enoch centre 2 years ago mate but it's not the real deal.

The players aren't individual moulds now and it's almost like cardboard cut outs that slot into a base and the balls are plain white with subbuteo written on them, back in the day we had mitre delta balls on the go red and blue mitre signs against the prominent white ball.

And the black ones!! Also the white, yellow and orange Adidas Tango balls, and red, black and blue-matching Umbro balls. I had the lot. My faithur also attatched the floodlights to the stand roofs, though the bulbs were the most expensive part if the whole thing. Ground capacity was about 4,000, but it never got more than 2/3 full. Painting the supporters was fuckin murder.

Played it for years and years, had the grandstands, floodlights, fences, the whole lot. My dad pinned it to a board so no issues with creases, the only issue was we did not leave enough room for the goals.

I was at the Etihad in Manchester a couple of years ago for a tour, and the (I think) European Subbutteo championships were on at the same time inside the stadium, there were about 12 tables with teams from all over, including Scotland, so it must still have a bit of a following.

The Subbuteo World Cup competition for adults is held every year.It's taken very seriously,with participants wearing the football top of their country. You can see some matches on youtube.

And the black ones!! Also the white, yellow and orange Adidas Tango balls, and red, black and blue-matching Umbro balls. I had the lot. My faithur also attatched the floodlights to the stand roofs, though the bulbs were the most expensive part if the whole thing. Ground capacity was about 4,000, but it never got more than 2/3 full. Painting the supporters was fuckin murder.

Superb mate and imagine my dissapointment after getting modern day subbuteo from hamleys toy shop and unveiling my match ball that was plain white with subbuteo sketched on it , I felt robbed of my mitre deltas etc of old.

Maybe we should all arrange a pie and bovril subbuteo tournament. :) :)

Check eBay Hertha. You can pick up 'common' vintage sets,etc,quite cheap.

Same here, all seater stadium, fans, floodlights, corner takers, press photographers, half time scoreboard, subs warming up, pressmen, tv gantry with cameraman, commentator and microphone, you name it. :thumsup2

A well stocked Pie & Bovril hut?

Archived