January Transfer Window

Michael Doyle is out of contract and Crawford+Duffy's loan expires in Jan. Would image a deal to be offered to Doyle and an attempt to extend their loans. Isaac Layne could be like a new signing returning from his loan but still think we need another striker... No idea who.

I think Doyle will get his deal to the end of the season. We certainly need a good few additions.

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're definitely losing Daly and possibly losing Wighton. Neither of these players are exactly irreplaceable (3 goals between them so far) luckily.

Assuming our defensive injury situation remains short term I can't see us doing much more business. Bates will probably end up being loaned out again and we have Craig Barr who would be a great signing for any club with a spare tracksuit and a free seat in the stand.

Of permanent signings, Sabajo and Scullion's contracts expire in January. Sabajo will definitely go, which will mean we could do with more cover out wide. I'd be really disappointed to see Scullion leave but unfortunately I think he will, he's not had a proper chance and Duffy seems to even prefer Orr to him.

Johnstone has a season-long loan but Birmingham have an option to recall him, while Gasparotto and Samuel's loans expire in January. Birmingham will be happy for Johnstone to stay, he's nowhere near ready for playing at their level but is getting games and goals here, there's no reason for them to disrupt that. I'd like to keep Samuel and he says he wants to stay, but he's not getting a regular game and Swansea may recall him, preferring him to go English League Two on loan instead and actually get a game which will be of more benefit to his development. If that is the case, another striker is needed.

Bringing through youth players really isn't their style and they're already sounding off about paying transfer fees for new signings in January, but Rangers would be mental not to take Gasparotto back and give him a chance. The defence is their one real weakness, mainly thanks to Danny Wilson being about a tenth of the player he had the potential to become. Even at this level he looks a bit of a dud. Gasparotto's absolutely strolled through this season, the guy's a class act and I really think he could go back there and hold down a place in their starting eleven. Luckily, they're exactly that mental and that gives us hope of being able to keep him for the season, which would be massive for us and is far more important than any new signings.

So far we've done far better than expected, although a collapse and falling back into the relegation battle is still a possibility. We don't need our usual massive January overhaul of the squad to avoid that happening, but a real holding midfielder is still essential and I'll be very concerned if Gasparotto does end up going. Keeping Gasparotto and signing a holding midfielder will make it a satisfactory window regardless of what happens with the others.

Of permanent signings, Sabajo and Scullion's contracts expire in January. Sabajo will definitely go, which will mean we could do with more cover out wide. I'd be really disappointed to see Scullion leave but unfortunately I think he will, he's not had a proper chance and Duffy seems to even prefer Orr to him.

Johnstone has a season-long loan but Birmingham have an option to recall him, while Gasparotto and Samuel's loans expire in January. Birmingham will be happy for Johnstone to stay, he's nowhere near ready for playing at their level but is getting games and goals here, there's no reason for them to disrupt that. I'd like to keep Samuel and he says he wants to stay, but he's not getting a regular game and Swansea may recall him, preferring him to go English League Two on loan instead and actually get a game which will be of more benefit to his development. If that is the case, another striker is needed.

Bringing through youth players really isn't their style and they're already sounding off about paying transfer fees for new signings in January, but Rangers would be mental not to take Gasparotto back and give him a chance. The defence is their one real weakness, mainly thanks to Danny Wilson being about a tenth of the player he had the potential to become. Even at this level he looks a bit of a dud. Gasparotto's absolutely strolled through this season, the guy's a class act and I really think he could go back there and hold down a place in their starting eleven. Luckily, they're exactly that mental and that gives us hope of being able to keep him for the season, which would be massive for us and is far more important than any new signings.

So far we've done far better than expected, although a collapse and falling back into the relegation battle is still a possibility. We don't need our usual massive January overhaul of the squad to avoid that happening, but a real holding midfielder is still essential and I'll be very concerned if Gasparotto does end up going. Keeping Gasparotto and signing a holding midfielder will make it a satisfactory window regardless of what happens with the others.

Is Frank Mckeown anywhere near to coming back do you know?

I think we could do with another winger in the team, bit of pace too.

Aside from that, I'd be happy for a couple of players to go on loan. By all accounts Ryan Blair hasn't looked great for the first team but stands out in reserve football. He seems a bit nervous so maybe a loan to League 1 could do the job for him. Then get him more involved at Falkirk next year.

I think we could do with another winger in the team, bit of pace too.

Aside from that, I'd be happy for a couple of players to go on loan. By all accounts Ryan Blair hasn't looked great for the first team but stands out in reserve football. He seems a bit nervous so maybe a loan to League 1 could do the job for him. Then get him more involved at Falkirk next year.

I think Blair has done better than you suggest TBH. Happy for him to go out and play every week though.

We do really need some natural width and pace, we should have budget to get someone in so I'm hopeful.

Ideally not see any first 11 leaving.

We could probably do with signing a right back actually.

It's been shown over the last couple of seasons we simply can't rely on Duffie to remain injury free

Vaulks, Muirhead & Sinnamon have all had a go in there now, perhaps the latter will improve with a run in the first team

There's been a suggestion that Feruz may take out his option to end the loan in January. A wee bit disappointed as I would have liked to see more of him, but not certain that he really fits into the team - and the forward department is one that we can probably afford to trim. I can see him stumbling across to Govan if given the chance - they have a history of clutching for our cast-offs.

Archived