possible for an amatuer to move up to juniors?

mclaren11

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats what i'm wanting. Just to know if i'm good enough. What club was that?

sorry i wasn't implying we would have an interest just the fact that if you stood out in the amateur game then maybe someone would take the chance on you

sorry i wasn't implying we would have an interest just the fact that if you stood out in the amateur game then maybe someone would take the chance on you

There are loads of raw amateur players out there who could do a job in junior football but there are also loads of guys who can underestimate junior football too and maybe it's because they've went to a few games and it's looked a poor standard.

Sometimes what people forget though can be the fact it looks poor because it's lots of guys with very similar ability cancelling one another out , lots of people then think they could do the same job and step up to junior football when they aren't anywhere near the given standard ( not saying the guy who started this thread isn't good enough though) .

You see the standard lots when you go and watch your workmates playing junior and you aren't impressed , then through the week you play 5 -a sides with these junior guys and they are amazing against workmates who maybe play amateur or at less of a junior level - just the little things of their first touch while still on the move and the power of their shots and general fitness levels that stand out that people don't recognise when they're playing junior against guys of similar ability.

There are loads of raw amateur players out there who could do a job in junior football but there are also loads of guys who can underestimate junior football too and maybe it's because they've went to a few games and it's looked a poor standard.

Sometimes what people forget though can be the fact it looks poor because it's lots of guys with very similar ability cancelling one another out , lots of people then think they could do the same job and step up to junior football when they aren't anywhere near the given standard ( not saying the guy who started this thread isn't good enough though) .

You see the standard lots when you go and watch your workmates playing junior and you aren't impressed , then through the week you play 5 -a sides with these junior guys and they are amazing against workmates who maybe play amateur or at less of a junior level - just the little things of their first touch while still on the move and the power of their shots and general fitness levels that stand out that people don't recognise when they're playing junior against guys of similar ability.

Very true,Hertha. Good point.

Would be very interested to see how colville would get on in the super prem this year. They've taken quite a few boys straight from senior over the years

Certainly would be interesting to find out.

But until they compete at that level, we will never find out.

What is your opinion Spud? You are doing well in the dugout.

A decent Amateur side is capable of beating a top Junior team on any given day.

But over a season,the top Amateur side in the country would finish last,in the Super Premier leagues. IMO.

I'm going to guess that anyone familiar with Colville Park,most folks'idea of the top Amateur side in the country,who enjoy facilities that would put many Junior sides to shame and who are currently on a 13 match winning run,having defeated some decent sides along the way,might well disagree with you on this,Larky. :)

I'm going to guess that anyone familiar with Colville Park,most folks'idea of the top Amateur side in the country,who enjoy facilities that would put many Junior sides to shame and who are currently on a 13 match winning run,having defeated some decent sides along the way,might well disagree with you on this,Larky. :)

My workmate is a member of Colville park golf club tommyboy and the golf club members were asked to attend a meeting on behalf of colville football club regarding a planning permission request from the football club to the golf club.

My workmate who's as switched on and as clever as they come said that the presentation laid on by the colville park FC chairperson was the best speech / presentation he's ever witnessed and that the club were shown in a great light by the guy and that he gripped everyone.

Teams like colville park would put loads of junior teams to shame I've heard from my mole .

My workmate is a member of Colville park golf club tommyboy and the golf club members were asked to attend a meeting on behalf of colville football club regarding a planning permission request from the football club to the golf club.

My workmate who's as switched on and as clever as they come said that the presentation laid on by the colville park FC chairperson was the best speech / presentation he's ever witnessed and that the club were shown in a great light by the guy and that he gripped everyone.

Teams like colville park would put loads of junior teams to shame I've heard from my mole .

Yup,a well run and forward thinking club,Hertha. I don't know who the current chairman is but I'm sure that wee Dingy's dad held that post,together with a place in the SAFA hierarchy, for some time.

Incidentally,you'll probably remember that during Rab Sneddon's time at Pollok it was quite common for some of the Colville boys to take part in some end of season games...and I don't recall that any of them seemed out of place at that level. :)

Yup,a well run and forward thinking club,Hertha. I don't know who the current chairman is but I'm sure that wee Dingy's dad held that post,together with a place in the SAFA hierarchy, for some time.

Incidentally,you'll probably remember that during Rab Sneddon's time at Pollok it was quite common for some of the Colville boys to take part in some end of season games...and I don't recall that any of them seemed out of place at that level. :)

Those guys were:

Chris Walker (2008-09 and 2009-10)

Gary McLenaghan (2009-10)

Brian Hamilton (2006-07 and 2007-08 - never played though)

Andy Harrison (2008-09)

Paul McAulay (2007-08 and 2008-09)

Tam Morgan (2006-07, 2007-08 and 2008-09)

Graham Walker (2004-05)

Chris Fitzpatrick (2008-09 and 2009-10)

Lok also signed both of our current keepers, Jordan Longmuir and Ryan Ward, from Colville Park last season. C. Walker and McAulay both eventually signed for Lok.

Archived