Dundee v Falkirk

The Master

Based on that performance - Falkirk would struggle and struggle badly in the top flight nor can I see them challenging at the top with Hibs & Rangers whilst they have such a poor attacking threat. John Baird offered absolutely nothing for them against our 4th and 5th choice CH's. Our defense was an absolute shambles tonight yet I can't remember Bain having a meaningful save to make until we were 3-1 up. I don't know whether to feel sorry for Konrad or lay the blame at his door too, because he had Gadzhalov having an absolute nightmare. Terrible defensive performance and there was a noted improvement as soon as Julen came on.

The bright spot for Falkirk - Craig Sibbald - by a mile. Probably aided by our disastrous defensive performance but he was running rings round Holt and Gadz. It looked as if Houston moved him onto the wing which completely done away with any meaningful threat Falkirk carried. I also like the look of Falkirk's midfield in general. Dynamic and dominated our midfield for a large part of the first half, and whilst I think Mark Kerr is a piss poor excuse for a player I can see how he fits in amongst the midfield as the 'water carrier' which allows the likes of Sibbald to flourish.

We never really got out of 2nd gear and I think if we were up against a more potent attacking force, we could have easily been out the cup tonight, but the interplay between Harkins, Stewart and Hemmings was top notch as usual and they punished Falkirk's toothless approach.

DeeTillEhDeh, on 26 Jan 2016 - 20:18, said:

Falkirk will play that high line once too often.

They played it all night and got caught with it time and time again - they rode their luck with the offsides but it was always going to bite them.

Finally - absolutely delightful ball from McGinn for our second. Exceptional cross.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty convinced that McGinn fell asleep for their goal, so no surprises there.

Hemmings first was offside by a yard or two. Prior to that the linesman got all bar one decision correct, despite our fans protestations. The one he got wrong would've put Hemmings through on goal for a one on one also.

Even first half in my eyes. Falkirk looked harder, and more determined in the first, whereas we continue to look weak, soft and fragile at the back. Really hope that is Gadzhalovs last game in a Dundee shirt as the lad gives me nightmares.

The second was good from McGinn going forward, great ball and finish.

The third? Well if you see a better counter-attack goal in the Cup this season it'll be a shock to me, because that was a pearler.

I think he thought Baird was offside like many fans did around me, only to be absolutely stunned to see Gadzhalov suddenly dart up from the foetal position.

Credit to Falkirk - forgot to say, decent amount of fans travelled. I think our mindset of lower price = higher gate has been absolutely destroyed tonight. 3500 Dee's - I don't think there'd have been much less than that if it was standard price.

Was expecting a tougher game than we got to be honest. Our first goal was offside but a great finish from Hemmings nonetheless I think the linesman only got one or two of the other six or so wrong in the first half despite the constant abuse and protests from the supporters and when it came down to this one perhaps the fans protests and pressures played a part.

Moving from that Falkirk equalised quickly through bad defending and someone playing them inside by lying on the ground? Both teams had chances but level at the break probably a fair reflection. Second half, great ball from Harkins to McGinn and a great cross made it 2-1 another great finish from Hemmings. Turned provider a fantastic sprint from Harkins and as soon as he got the ball their was only going to one outcome, another good strike.

Madness that Hartley has had Harkins sitting on the bench for half the season, he's the one that make things happen should be starting every week. He dragged the squad through the 25 point deduction season and I think he enjoys being captain. Overall, as I said an easy win.

Enjoyable game. Thought Falkirk were definitely our match for lots of the game. The lad Sibbald is a very neat player and will surely cause premiership teams problems if/when Falkirk come up. We were more clinical where it mattered and therefore ran out comfortable winners. That said if Falkirk had snuck a second with 5 or 10 minutes to go it would have been squeaky bum time.

I still quite like Holt but his distribution is terrible. When him and Low start knocking it about the left wing it always amounts to nothing and we usually lose the ball.

Hemmings though :wub:

Nick Ross is a waste of space. Holt is terrible, all we did was give the ball away. Low and McGowan aren't much better the midfield is shite.

Ross was a passenger for the entire game so we basically beat Falkirk with 10 men but I couldn't disagree more about Gowser.

Pretty convinced that McGinn fell asleep for their goal, so no surprises there.

Hemmings first was offside by a yard or two. Prior to that the linesman got all bar one decision correct, despite our fans protestations. The one he got wrong would've put Hemmings through on goal for a one on one also.

Even first half in my eyes. Falkirk looked harder, and more determined in the first, whereas we continue to look weak, soft and fragile at the back. Really hope that is Gadzhalovs last game in a Dundee shirt as the lad gives me nightmares.

The second was good from McGinn going forward, great ball and finish.

The third? Well if you see a better counter-attack goal in the Cup this season it'll be a shock to me, because that was a pearler.

Pretty much how I saw it.

To be fair to our support, this was one of those occasions when getting on the linesman's back caused him to make the error that allowed Hemmings to score. First half Falkirk showed our defensive frailties without Ghadsalof (?) playing possum 3 yards out to play Baird onside.

All the best to Falkirk for the rest of the season and particularly in pumping Sevco this weekend. Onward to Hampden !

Best part of tonight- the stadium united in the ripping of Willie Collum.

Glorious.

Other than that I thought we really stepped up in the 2nd half. Hemmings is the best striker we have had in quite some time (sorry John Baird).

Bring on Dumbarton..

Crawford Baptie, on 26 Jan 2016 - 22:58, said:

Bunch of patronising p***ks on here tonight.

If and that is a big IF we were to go up this season, we would strengthen, just like any other team would.

You'd have to pretty much revamp your squad like we did when we came up tbf.

Bunch of patronising p***ks on here tonight.

If and that is a big IF we were to go up this season, we would strengthen, just like any other team would.

:lol: now, I'm not one of them but after the amount of utter shite you and certain others in your support were posting, you can hardly blame folk for ripping the arse out your squad.

Och.

Got used to good cup runs so it's a nuisance to be out so early. Forgot what it's like to lose a game actually!

Anyway, in the end the stronger team deservedly won. We were definitely the better team in the first half, and you just knew that the linesman would get one wrong which would end up in a goal.

No idea what happened for our goal; saw Bairdy burrowing into the box and then the ball was in the net somehow.

Thought we were set for a barnstorming second half with the wind at our backs, but we seemed really tepid, and the 2-1 and 3-1 goals were smashing. Pity Will's cracker near the end did not elude Bain, but we were the classic 'tippy tappy pish' around the box for the most part.

Nobody's mentioned Baird's classic handball: deary me! :lol:

Archived