Guitarist Thread

CALDERON

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Forever Clach, f**k the Caley! (The new entity that is). Give us a shout if you've a gig in Inverness coming up.

Unlikley. to have a gig in Inverness but up north a bit as my family are in the Black Isle, where I was brought up and will give you a shout for a beer.  Watch Clach when I go home so could take in a game too.

• 2 months later...

Managed to get an old Peavey Bandit 112 the other weekend. Red stripe model which seem to be rather well renowned. £65. Seeing them for over twice that on eBay.

Not at home and only got the use of a shitey Westfield strat copy but even with that, it sounds class.

8 hours ago, Derek Patterson said:

Managed to get an old Peavey Bandit 112 the other weekend. Red stripe model which seem to be rather well renowned. £65. Seeing them for over twice that on eBay.

Not at home and only got the use of a shitey Westfield strat copy but even with that, it sounds class.

That's a cracking deal.

Just bought a Boss Katana amp, pretty impressed so far.

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

That's a cracking deal.

Just bought a Boss Katana amp, pretty impressed so far.

Also picked up a Vox Valvetone V810 overdrive off an old pal for £50.

Just have the amp on the "vintage" setting with that in front of it.

On 3/10/2018 at 12:06, Highland Capital said:

What are people’s thoughts on Gibson Explorers? I’ve always thought they looked good but have never played one.

I've got a Gibson Explorer. I bought it from Guitar Guitar a couple of years ago for £1000. I'm a massive mark for U2 and I had always wanted one. It's good fun to play, especially when you start chucking on loads of delay and echo. A bit more style over substance if I'm being honest but who cares!

• 4 weeks later...
Little bit - what you up to?
Mainly multi track mixing, I've just finished my first year of the BSc Audio Engineering course. I've had Pro Tools since September and it's only now that I'm getting to grips with it (the shortcuts are very handy).

I've recently acquired the Slate plug-in package and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any other plug-ins.

36 minutes ago, 50/50 Winner said:

Mainly multi track mixing, I've just finished my first year of the BSc Audio Engineering course. I've had Pro Tools since September and it's only now that I'm getting to grips with it (the shortcuts are very handy).

I've recently acquired the Slate plug-in package and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any other plug-ins.

I'll ask around, mate. 

Are the plugins your after for effects for particular instruments?
They are for any instrument that is on the multi track (kick, snare, toms, hi hat, overheads, bass, various guitars, lead and backing vocals, keys, etc.) I'm looking for different compressors, EQ's, limiters, de-essers, reverbs.

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

anyone ever used any of the boss katana amps? Thinking of getting one just for playing in the hoose.

Ive got the 2x12 100 watt one. 

Haven't had the chance to play it live yet but really like it, really wide range of tones especially once it's hooked up to the laptop, has most boss pedals built in.  I had a Fender Mustang Amp before that and this blows it out of the water completely. 

The delays and reverbs on it are awesome, but I had to fiddle around a bit to get an overdrive tone I liked 

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie guitar player (use that word loosely)

So looking for some advice on a new guitar. I currently have a used Epiphone Les Paul Special that I picked up for around £60 but it’s a bit worn shall we say.

I am now really enjoying learning and think it’s something I am going to stick with so have decided perhaps now is the time to invest a bit of money in a guitar. So I’m think around the £500/£600 mark and wondering what people would recommend. I am considering a strat as really like the look of them and obviously they are very good

but where do I starts because there are so many variables.

I also have a Ibanez v50 acoustic that I picked up cheap and enjoy playing that but find it a bit bulky and awkward to play so have decided to upgrade to an Epiphone dove as I have played a friends and it feels so much more comfortable.

13 hours ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Newbie guitar player (use that word loosely)

So looking for some advice on a new guitar. I currently have a used Epiphone Les Paul Special that I picked up for around £60 but it’s a bit worn shall we say.

I am now really enjoying learning and think it’s something I am going to stick with so have decided perhaps now is the time to invest a bit of money in a guitar. So I’m think around the £500/£600 mark and wondering what people would recommend. I am considering a strat as really like the look of them and obviously they are very good

but where do I starts because there are so many variables.

I also have a Ibanez v50 acoustic that I picked up cheap and enjoy playing that but find it a bit bulky and awkward to play so have decided to upgrade to an Epiphone dove as I have played a friends and it feels so much more comfortable.

As a relative newbie, the variables between guitars at your price point won't be quite as relevant to you as to someone who is a more seasoned player or who is spending a bit more money.

You've sort of hit the nail on the head in your very last sentence, the best advice I could give you is to go into a reputable shop, tell them your budget and ask to try 4 or 5 guitars within your price range. Buy the one that feels the most comfortable...that's the thing that will make more difference to your learning/playing than anything.

A few years down the line you will then have a better idea of what type of player you are and what you're looking for from a guitar, and at that point you can start looking at the actual differences.

Whilst you're in the first couple of years of learning, comfort is key. If you're actually buying then a good guitar store will let you sit and try out whatever you want, and most have a private room so you don't need to feel self-conscious about other customers hearing you.

As a relative newbie, the variables between guitars at your price point won't be quite as relevant to you as to someone who is a more seasoned player or who is spending a bit more money.
You've sort of hit the nail on the head in your very last sentence, the best advice I could give you is to go into a reputable shop, tell them your budget and ask to try 4 or 5 guitars within your price range. Buy the one that feels the most comfortable...that's the thing that will make more difference to your learning/playing than anything.
A few years down the line you will then have a better idea of what type of player you are and what you're looking for from a guitar, and at that point you can start looking at the actual differences.
Whilst you're in the first couple of years of learning, comfort is key. If you're actually buying then a good guitar store will let you sit and try out whatever you want, and most have a private room so you don't need to feel self-conscious about other customers hearing you.

Perfect thanks for the advice.

Much appreciated.

You get a perfectly good guitar for half that budget to be honest. A higher end Squire Strat would leave you change to get a good beginners amp too. 

I thought that too

And don’t rule out the second hand market

Apart from anything else, If it’s already had its first scratch then you can relax and not worry.