Guitarist Thread

CALDERON

9 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Still pish but can play a few songs. Open chords are easy enough, sense of rhythm is fucking appalling and if I even think about trying to sing and play at the same time my brain completely shuts down and I sit there like a dribbling moron.

Ramones stuff is ideal for getting our rhythm chops going.

On 24/11/2017 at 16:29, CALDERON said:

Aye I can imagine.  I love P90’s though, got a thinline Tele with P90s and if you get a decent noise gate to stop the hum, they are incredibly versatile.  

I've got a Tele type thing with a Strat neck that someone built with Bare Knuckle P90s and a killswitch. Circuitry set up like a Tele Deluxe/Les Paul but with the killswitch where the pickup selector is. Properly aggressive sounding brute.

• 3 months later...

Now the first person that laughs will get a boot in the baws.

I bought one of these the other day and set about changing strings on my six string guitars and zipped through the task in no time at all.

Image result for ernie ball power peg

Tonight I set about my Fender 12 string and was disappointed that despite never playing it for yonks, it tuned up no bother.

However, the fucking smell of the wood as it came out of the case made me fall in love with it all over again, my fingers will have blisters by the time the weekend is over.

in the process of getting all my guitars set up after they've been in storage for 5 years. First up was my late 80s squire strat.

God knows how I got a tune out it as it was a shambles, frets like the Himalayas, neck off to the side. But it now plays like a dream. The Schaller pick up sounds great. Replaced the string trees too.

IMG_20180218_185445_825.jpg

IMG-20180216-WA0000.jpg

On 28/02/2018 at 22:20, Zen Archer said:

Now the first person that laughs will get a boot in the baws.

I bought one of these the other day and set about changing strings on my six string guitars and zipped through the task in no time at all.

Image result for ernie ball power peg

Tonight I set about my Fender 12 string and was disappointed that despite never playing it for yonks, it tuned up no bother.

However, the fucking smell of the wood as it came out of the case made me fall in love with it all over again, my fingers will have blisters by the time the weekend is over.

No laughing from me.  I've 21 guitars and hate restringing.  This looks the biz to me.  See they are on spec at "Guitar Guitar".  Thanks for the heads up

Edited by PRS
spelling

15 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

21?

I'll mention you as evidence next time Mrs Topcat suggests that 6 is too many

Mid life crisis that has lasted too long!  However they all get played.  Some good gear  -  6 PRS,  4 Levinson Blades, a couple of Eggles, a Fender Jaguar Baritone Custom, Reverend Warhawk, Don Grosh Retro Classic (Strat) Yammaha SA2100;  Acoustics - Santa Cruz, Larrivee, MciLroy and two handbuilt NK Forsters.  

Mid life crisis that has lasted too long!  However they all get played.  Some good gear  -  6 PRS,  4 Levinson Blades, a couple of Eggles, a Fender Jaguar Baritone Custom, Reverend Warhawk, Don Grosh Retro Classic (Strat) Yammaha SA2100;  Acoustics - Santa Cruz, Larrivee, MciLroy and two handbuilt NK Forsters.  

You mean you don't have at least a four string bass?

Or are they part of another tally?

5 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

You mean you don't have at least a four string bass?

Or are they part of another tally?

Never thought of that...............

40 minutes ago, PRS said:

I know the feeling well although I only have five, but I do actively avoid Guitar Guitar CC Music etc. because if I see one I like I would buy.

Even just the smell of the finish and colours I can drool over.

1 minute ago, WILLIEA said:

I know the feeling well although I only have five, but I do actively avoid Guitar Guitar CC Music etc. because if I see one I like I would buy.

Even just the smell of the finish and colours I can drool over.

I've found a kindred spirit! First time I heard the Shadows ( was about 6) just loved the guitar, but it was listening to John Peel on my 6th year  and hearing Be Bop Deluxe (or rather Bill Nelson) that got me hooked and that was 44 years ago! How many guitars do I need?  Answer is always the same.....just one more!  Whats you set up gear wise then?

20 hours ago, PRS said:

I've found a kindred spirit! First time I heard the Shadows ( was about 6) just loved the guitar, but it was listening to John Peel on my 6th year  and hearing Be Bop Deluxe (or rather Bill Nelson) that got me hooked and that was 44 years ago! How many guitars do I need?  Answer is always the same.....just one more!  Whats you set up gear wise then?

First single I bought while at primary school was Apache by The Shadows.

At the moment I have 2 Strats. A 50th Aniv one and an American Special, a wee PRS SE. Korean but a good guitar, an Epiphone bass and a Martin 000-28 acoustic.

Edited by WILLIEA
To edit out Epiphany bass??? Autocorrect !

2 hours ago, WILLIEA said:

First single I bought while at primary school was Apache by The Shadows.

At the moment I have 2 Strats. A 50th Aniv one and an American Special, a wee PRS SE. Korean but a good guitar, an Epiphone bass and a Martin 000-28 acoustic.

Some very nice gear there.  Like strats but the only Fender strat I’ve owned was an 82 JV  Squier- the JVs are much hyped but Whilst it was a nice guitar, it was nothing special.  I have 4 ”strats”  just now, three Levinson Blades (great guitars) and a Don Grosh Retro Classic a “boutique” strat. Prefer the Blades.  I agree with you about the SE series.  I have 5 core US PRS and a Korean SE One and the latter whilst not up to the standard of the US models,  is great guitar for the money.  Corners cut but in the right places. Like your choice of Martin.  I prefer smaller bodied guitars as I use open tunings  lot and three of mine are OM style or smaller (2 Forster’s and the Larrivee )

I've found Teles more versatile. Like the ability to go from a clean twang to a pretty heavy sound, don't really feel like I can do that with a Strat.

Got myself a Les Paul copy and after a wee set up it's really nice for the price. Other guy in the band has a fairly high spec Epiphone and hard pushed to tell difference.  Trying to go down the route of paying more for effects and amp and trying more budget type guitars. Plan is to upgrade the pickups and tuners and see how good I can get it sounding.

My Tele thinline will always be immortal and ill never get rid, but playing heavier stuff just now it's amazing the difference a solid body guitar makes.

If you haven't already you should get yourself a try of the Jim Root signature Tele. His whole range of signature Fenders are amazing, but the Tele in particular is probably one of the best guitars I've ever played.

23 hours ago, PRS said:

Some very nice gear there.  Like strats but the only Fender strat I’ve owned was an 82 JV  Squier- the JVs are much hyped but Whilst it was a nice guitar, it was nothing special.  I have 4 ”strats”  just now, three Levinson Blades (great guitars) and a Don Grosh Retro Classic a “boutique” strat. Prefer the Blades.  I agree with you about the SE series.  I have 5 core US PRS and a Korean SE One and the latter whilst not up to the standard of the US models,  is great guitar for the money.  Corners cut but in the right places. Like your choice of Martin.  I prefer smaller bodied guitars as I use open tunings  lot and three of mine are OM style or smaller (2 Forster’s and the Larrivee )

Had a look at those Levinson Blades online . This is why I avoid guitar shops!!!

You're not tempted by the John Mayer Silver Sky PRS " Strat " ?

20 minutes ago, WILLIEA said:

Had a look at those Levinson Blades online . This is why I avoid guitar shops!!!

You're not tempted by the John Mayer Silver Sky PRS " Strat " ?

One of my PRS is an older Swamp Ash Special with the H/S/H p/up configuration and the combination of the ash body, maple neck and customised switching that allows for coil tapping and I have my PRS ‘strat’ as it has some very Fendery tones.  Even in humbucking mode, it has a rich Fender tone with a wee nod to a firebird, so I have my PRS strat.  From an asthaetic point of view, do not like seeing a PRS type headstock on a strat body, even a reverse one.  However I wouldn’t rule out another Blade strat.  I have a hand built R2 from ‘89,  top of the range RH4 from ‘91 and a handbuilt Texas Vintage 62 from 97.  My fourth Blade is a T2, a handbuilt tale from ‘88. My PRS  McCartys are my “Gibsons”, I have three - McCarty Model (humbuckers)  McCarty Soapbar P90 and Hollowbodyi (sort of ES 175) ; the remaining PRS is a Starla and it’s got a touch of the Gretsh about it. Are you in Dumfries? A old mate I knew from uni days taught biology at St Joseph’s, Colin Taylor, and he was an absolutely awesome guitarist, I know that he played in a Thin Lizzy tribute band down there a few years back. Possibly the most natural guitarist I have ever heard and an all round good guy. 

11 hours ago, CALDERON said:

I've found Teles more versatile. Like the ability to go from a clean twang to a pretty heavy sound, don't really feel like I can do that with a Strat.

Agree, Teles are incredibly versatile guitars that can handle almost any style of music and can even come close to mimicking a Les Paul with right amp, pedal and the tone rolled down a bit.  If you are looking at good quality p/ups at less than boutique price, google “Oil City”, Ash Locker Scott there makes fantastic pickups of the highest quality at a good bit less than Seymour Duncan and Bare Knuckle