Guitarist Thread

CALDERON

On 28/03/2023 at 17:53, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Here we go. Proper run out tomorrow.

96F76B1B-F9FB-4143-9099-952E5274284B.jpeg

Lovely stuff. What a slender profile it has too. Looks like it'll be dead comfy to play, and nice access at the dusty end too.

Well, the Gibson Garage was impressive but not as hands-on as I imagined it would be (except for the Epiphones and Kramers) and my admiration of a Songwriter acoustic was brought short when a guy decided to batter out one of his own songs, with lyrics. However, they had this 1959 Les Paul Standard that has been valued at half a million bucks. 

777B3399-F604-4E77-8D26-C8A3B16791D8.jpeg

Anyone know anyone in Falkirk who can give a setup to an acoustic guitar?

I know there's a guy in the studio at the back of Auntie Kate's. I used him last year and he was excellent, however he is always mega busy so there was a long turnaround.

I've been playing with a new band for the last few months so that's given me the push to finally get a Tele:

image.thumb.jpeg.d61b3871fce65534d6c87a9c8ba67f75.jpeg

I bloody love it.  I cleaned up my old '97 USA Strat and got a chunk of money for that towards the Tele, which is a 2004 USA Standard.  I might stick a black pickguard on it at some point.  Now I've got an SG (bought new in 2003!) and a Tele and I've really got the guitar bug again!  Saving up to buy another cheaper Tele to (attempt to) take apart and put together again for a laugh.  

In addition to the electrics I have Martin and Takamine acoustics, plus an old Squier P-Bass which has upgraded pickups in it.  Oh and a ukulele!  

For years I pretty much only played acoustic guitar so I think my rhythm guitar is pretty good - I never really played much lead guitar but that's what I'm doing in this band.  So I'm having to deal with a wee bit of imposter syndrome.  It's great fun though.  

On 12/04/2023 at 09:50, resk said:

I've been playing with a new band for the last few months so that's given me the push to finally get a Tele:

image.thumb.jpeg.d61b3871fce65534d6c87a9c8ba67f75.jpeg

I bloody love it.  I cleaned up my old '97 USA Strat and got a chunk of money for that towards the Tele, which is a 2004 USA Standard.  I might stick a black pickguard on it at some point.  Now I've got an SG (bought new in 2003!) and a Tele and I've really got the guitar bug again!  Saving up to buy another cheaper Tele to (attempt to) take apart and put together again for a laugh.  

In addition to the electrics I have Martin and Takamine acoustics, plus an old Squier P-Bass which has upgraded pickups in it.  Oh and a ukulele!  

For years I pretty much only played acoustic guitar so I think my rhythm guitar is pretty good - I never really played much lead guitar but that's what I'm doing in this band.  So I'm having to deal with a wee bit of imposter syndrome.  It's great fun though.  

Beautiful guitar, please don't put a black guard on it, it's a fantastic aesthetic just now.

I love the idea of getting an old guitar and just farting about with it to upgrade it manually. Have thought it a few times, getting maybe a strat out of the classified or even cash converters for the purpose. I imagine it would be really rewarding.

59 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Beautiful guitar, please don't put a black guard on it, it's a fantastic aesthetic just now.

I love the idea of getting an old guitar and just farting about with it to upgrade it manually. Have thought it a few times, getting maybe a strat out of the classified or even cash converters for the purpose. I imagine it would be really rewarding.

I just have a preference for black pickguards for some reason.  It's easy enough to swap back anyway.  

The main thing about upgrading / rebuilding a guitar seems to be soldering the pickups, which would take a bit of practice (I'm not particularly handy!).  All the parts have rocketed in price recently too, although I suppose guitars generally have as well.  

27 minutes ago, resk said:

I just have a preference for black pickguards for some reason.  It's easy enough to swap back anyway.  

The main thing about upgrading / rebuilding a guitar seems to be soldering the pickups, which would take a bit of practice (I'm not particularly handy!).  All the parts have rocketed in price recently too, although I suppose guitars generally have as well.  

I'm similar in that I have never done anything at all with the electronics before. Would also enjoy farting about with the intonation and setup with impunity. Taking the fear out of truss rod turns forever haha

9 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Focus.

On 14/04/2023 at 15:15, cb_diamond said:

I'm similar in that I have never done anything at all with the electronics before. Would also enjoy farting about with the intonation and setup with impunity. Taking the fear out of truss rod turns forever haha

Learning how to do a set-up well is absolutely worth while and like you say, takes away the fear of the truss rod.

I bought a Squier Tele to learn on and it's more than paid for itself considering it's at least £50 per guitar/bass to get a techy to do it.

I've got the action on my PRS down to 3/64 now, I wouldn't have had the confidence to do that without learning on the Squier first. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought this Marshall MG30 CFX on Gumtree about 3 years ago, in the hope I could resurrect it.

It wisnae working properly........basically the power button was stuck down (you could only power on using the plug) and it also  flipped between random presets while you were playing. Overall lovely tones, but fucking annoying.

Other stuff got in the way and it was used as a stand for other amps in my sons room for at least 2 years !

Rainy day today, so I got the back off it, pulled out the electronics, sprayed a wee bit of contact cleaner as required and found the issue with the power switch (piece of piss, sorted with a ziptie).

All in all, about 30 mins work - wasnt sure if it would fly but its working an absolute treat - no bad for £30 !!

image.png.dd2901b96f8b3517fd8403478fa868cc.png

Anybody own a Harley Benton? I know they are like the Mayfair or Lambert and Butler of the guitar world but for £266 with electrics, case and delivery I thought I'd give one a shot. Bought the 12 string tabacco burst based on the Gibson SJ 200 called the CLJ 412e 3SB it's a fine looking piece of wood so if plays shit it will sit in the corner looking pretty. My current go to guitars.

IMG_20230627_193549.jpg

IMG_20230117_192126.jpg

On 30/06/2023 at 09:06, dirty dingus said:

Anybody own a Harley Benton? I know they are like the Mayfair or Lambert and Butler of the guitar world but for £266 with electrics, case and delivery I thought I'd give one a shot. Bought the 12 string tabacco burst based on the Gibson SJ 200 called the CLJ 412e 3SB it's a fine looking piece of wood so if plays shit it will sit in the corner looking pretty. My current go to guitars.

IMG_20230627_193549.jpg

IMG_20230117_192126.jpg

If it plays well and feels nice in your hands, who cares what it cost?

Enjoy !