Guitarist Thread

CALDERON

The effects loop comes between the preamp and the power amp. So that the pre amp has already put it’s character onto the sound before your effects get to it.

Headphone sockets will presumably just be taking a feed straight from the preamp with no further amplification needed

You could try putting your effects loop between the headphone output (or fx send) and the headphones themselves but this might need some cable adapters.

This chap has recorded a general tutorial on effects loops which might be helpful

https://youtu.be/dgbffV5fR4Y

Thanks for the link. Didnt actually know some of what he explained in the video.

I had been using the effects loop on my dsl20 regularly but was way too loud for home practice. It just didnt occur to me that the headphone socket could affect the fx loop.
Apparently the marshall code has the same issue.

Only option I have really is the katana which I actually got had but returned because I didnt really like the footswitch which came with the 50W version.

I may still keep the champion and just use the looper through the front of the amp.

12 hours ago, Qos91 said:

Thanks for the link. Didnt actually know some of what he explained in the video.

I had been using the effects loop on my dsl20 regularly but was way too loud for home practice. It just didnt occur to me that the headphone socket could affect the fx loop.
Apparently the marshall code has the same issue.

Only option I have really is the katana which I actually got had but returned because I didnt really like the footswitch which came with the 50W version.

I may still keep the champion and just use the looper through the front of the amp.

The principle difference will be that when you change the settings on the preamp those new settings will be applied to the output of the looper

So if you were wanting to lay down your funky goove loop with a clean tone and then play a filthy solo on top of it that's not going to happen.

On the other hand It means you can sample a loop and leave that running while you spend ages obsessively twiddling knobs on the fender to get exactly the tone you want.

The real solution to using big amps in places that you can't be loud is to use some kind of Reactive Load Box.  Which means you don't need to have any speakers at all. The Amp feeds the box and the output simulates the effect of the speaker and the mic cabinet. The output from that can then go straight into a mixing desc, PC, or headphones. Meaning that you sound the same while practicing as you do over a Stadium PA. The guy that did that video also has a review of the "boss waza tube amp expander" which appears to do everything you could ever want from one of these things but costs about a grand which would probably be a good investment for a professional musician that could charge it as a business expense for tax purposes. There are entry level equivalents but they're going to cost more than your amp and certainly more than either of my amps.

I like his videos because he manages to hit the difficult balance between being too technical for normal people to understand and being to simplistic to actually teach us anything

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

• 1 month later...

I spent most of the afternoon getting the strings out of the pinless bridge of an acoustic bass

The ball ends were too small to sit proud but jus big enough to get jammed down the hole

To stop this problem I’ve rigged the bridge up like this and it seems to work so far

IMG_1402.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/08/2020 at 13:54, Navallion said:

Finally got the one I've always wanted.

Shes an absolute beaut.

20200831_135205.jpg

Beautiful, very Kapranos. The Telecaster is just so versatile in terms of what you can do to make it sound different - I've got a cherry red Jim Adkins signature one that's got the hollowed-out chamber and the P90s. It's a smashing guitar and feels excellent, plus it's odd in that it's a set neck rather than a standard Fender bolt-on. 

In fact, I'd go so far as to say Fander pretty much get everything they put out right these days. I'd love to try a Johnny Marr Jaguar out. 

Hi folks, will be putting this in the marketplace thread as well but though I'd pop it here as it's obviously specific to guitarists.

Selling my Washburn Idol W65i Pro in order to make room for a couple of new additions to the studio. It's an absolutely brilliant guitar but one of those that, for no real reason at all I just don't find myself playing all that often, so as something had to go I thought this was the one that deserved to be played more by someone.

It's been a 100% studio guitar, never been on the road or gigged at all so it's in great condition. It's from their Pro range and in an aged raw wood finish which is pretty rare, isn't in production anymore and really makes it stand out from the gloss black and gloss red finishes that are a bit more common. The lack of paint of laquer really gives it a noticably bigger and more open sound, and combined with the Syemour Duncan humbuckers it really growls if you are a player in the heavier styles of music. It cleans up brilliantly though with it's Voice Contour Control which basically blends the pickup into a single coil sound. Also has the Buzz Feiten tuning system and 18/1 Grover tuners for amazing accuracy and stability.

As I said before it really is a brilliant guitar and I've had it for about 15 years, and if I wasn't looking to pick up something new then I'd 100% be keeping it, but it realistically has to be a "one in, one out" situation.

Originally paid £895 around 15 years ago, looking for £400 for it, and will happily deliver it anywhere within reasonable distance from the Central Belt.

Any questions or interest, feel free to PM me. Cheers!

8.thumb.jpg.74fb38ba2f088756e614fb7f041a465b.jpg7.thumb.jpg.6cd4047f8717d995f3cdeaecfb93aff6.jpg

I've decided that I need an acoustic or electro-acoustic.
Not massively keen on jumbos as I find them a wee bit cumbersome.
Would probably prefer a 3/4 size for playability.
Anyone have any tips as to what's good these days?
Taylor gs mini. Not too expensive and sound and play well. A few different options of wood to choose from too.

On 19/09/2020 at 15:16, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I'm looking at buying a condenser Mic for recording acoustic guitar and vocals

I've seen prices from £20 to £2000

Clearly the top end is inappropriate for my purposes and budget but I can probably stretch to £50-£100

Any suggestions?

Funny you mention it but I bought one yesterday. 

I previously bought a Tascam for about £40 but it's not very good. The guy in the guitar shop yesterday recommended an AudioTechica at £79. I bought that. Not used it yet.

I use it with the Boss Br 800 home recording unit.

On 19/09/2020 at 15:16, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I'm looking at buying a condenser Mic for recording acoustic guitar and vocals

I've seen prices from £20 to £2000

Clearly the top end is inappropriate for my purposes and budget but I can probably stretch to £50-£100

Any suggestions? 

I got a Neewer NW 700 from Amazon for like £30 and its fine for both. 

On 10/09/2020 at 17:26, Forest_Fifer said:

NGD. Anyone else got a Harley Benton? Swamp ash body with satin finish, Canadian maple neck also satin finished.

20200910_171405.thumb.jpeg.271f2f23114c0762353a08507ce149b8.jpeg

Just a bit of a shame there was no trem arm in the box, suppliers are sending me one.

I've got the les paul copy and had their version of the Gibson ES before. Superb guitars for the price point, however I've had wear and tear issues with mine. 

For playing around the house they are great, however I personally don't think they stand up to the rigours of taking it out to gigs, practice etc too well. 

You won't get better for less though, and if you can be arsed upgrading some of the hardware they are brilliant. 

Edited by CALDERON

On 01/09/2020 at 18:13, Andy_K_97 said:

Beautiful, very Kapranos. The Telecaster is just so versatile in terms of what you can do to make it sound different - I've got a cherry red Jim Adkins signature one that's got the hollowed-out chamber and the P90s. It's a smashing guitar and feels excellent, plus it's odd in that it's a set neck rather than a standard Fender bolt-on. 

In fact, I'd go so far as to say Fander pretty much get everything they put out right these days. I'd love to try a Johnny Marr Jaguar out. 

I've got a very similar one but it's the Modern Player Fender Tele. Incredibly versatile, P90 pick ups are awesome. 

The guitar above though is the dream. Always adored Kapranos' all black Tele deluxe.