Guitarist Thread

CALDERON

13 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It was awesome and I was shit. If I get things right next time it will be double awesome.

Trust me, you'll never, ever be as bad as you think you are. You just get so caught up in the moment and your adrenaline is going mental. It usually sounds ok. I was gigging last night (drumming duty) and I had to do backing vocals and came off thinking I sounded like someone booting a sack of cats, video evidence showed it was fine. Just jump back in as soon as possible and you'll be golden.

Edited by cb_diamond

18 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Behringer pedals are conspicuously cheap

Are they total shit?

Not sure, tbh, but I wouldn't be put off by brand or price - I've been using a Zoom GFX for years, and it's great - in fact, I bought it on the recommendation of Fish's guitarist at the time, who used the Zoom to replace his MASSIVE effects rig.

Many people would probably scoff at Zoom. 

Neither Guitar Guitar or Scayles in Edinburgh appear to stock Behringer  effects - not sure what to make of that, tbh.

https://www.scayles.co.uk/Amplifiers&Effects?Page=QW1wbGlmaWVycyAmIEVmZmVjdHM=&SubCat=MjIy

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/pedals/

3 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Not sure, tbh, but I wouldn't be put off by brand or price - I've been using a Zoom GFX for years, and it's great - in fact, I bought it on the recommendation of Fish's guitarist at the time, who used the Zoom to replace his MASSIVE effects rig.

Neither Guitar Guitar or Scayles in Edinburgh appear to stock Behringer  effects - not sure what to make of that, tbh.

https://www.scayles.co.uk/Amplifiers&Effects?Page=QW1wbGlmaWVycyAmIEVmZmVjdHM=&SubCat=MjIy

Well I've ordered their Compressor/Sustainer

It was only £25 so it's not a terribly expensive mistake if it end's up languishing in the bottom of a drawer and if I end up using compression all the time then I'll consider buying the Boss version

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Well I've ordered their Compressor/Sustainer

It was only £25 so it's not a terribly expensive mistake if it end's up languishing in the bottom of a drawer and if I end up using compression all the time then I'll consider buying the Boss version

I'm sure it'll so the business for you.

I mind another pro guitarist telling me ages ago that a compressor is now a vital part of a guitarist's kit - to be honest, I've never really understood why, but I'm sure he's probably right. 

Can we get an update on the Behringer pedal when it arrives? 

On 05/11/2019 at 17:30, paranoid android said:

Can we get an update on the Behringer pedal when it arrives? 

Got it and have had a quick run through with it

The most obvious reason that the Behringer version is cheaper than the Boss CS-3 (£70 +)  is that the casing is plastic as opposed to metal. It feels pretty sturdy nonetheless.

In terms of how it performs I like it

It doesn't make a huge difference to the sound like overdrive, chorus or delay does but it just makes it sound "nicer" by boosting quiet noises and trimming loud things it just makes my hamfisted playing sound smoother.

I've got noticeably more sustain which I think makes it sound as if I'm playing a more expensive guitar.

It also means that things like "tapping" works a lot better even if you're hammerons are louder than the pull offs

For £26 I'm pretty happy

2 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Got it and have had a quick run through with it

The most obvious reason that the Behringer version is cheaper than the Boss CS-3 (£70 +)  is that the casing is plastic as opposed to metal. It feels pretty sturdy nonetheless.

In terms of how it performs I like it

It doesn't make a huge difference to the sound like overdrive, chorus or delay does but it just makes it sound "nicer" by boosting quiet noises and trimming loud things it just makes my hamfisted playing sound smoother.

I've got noticeably more sustain which I think makes it sound as if I'm playing a more expensive guitar.

It also means that things like "tapping" works a lot better even if you're hammerons are louder than the pull offs

For £26 I'm pretty happy

Sounds good, TC! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2019 at 12:41, paranoid android said:

Aye I replaced my pedal board with a Zoom G3n unit and really don't regret it at all. Built in effects are brilliant, and the amp models are great for direct recording. 

On 22/10/2019 at 21:17, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Played live for the first time ever last night in my mid 40s

The nervous energy was ridiculous and I felt like my hands were in backwards to begin with but I pulled it together and got through it and it was a great rush

My advice to younger readers is not to leave it till middle age before summoning the courage

Brilliant stuff! 

Can't ever beat the feeling playing live. Played in front of a few people to a few hundred and it's amazing every time,throughly recommend it to anyone. 

17 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Brilliant stuff! 

Can't ever beat the feeling playing live. Played in front of a few people to a few hundred and it's amazing every time,throughly recommend it to anyone. 

I don't know if you feel the same, but I always get much worse stage fright in front of a handful of people than I do in front of a big crowd.

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

I don't know if you feel the same, but I always get much worse stage fright in front of a handful of people than I do in front of a big crowd.

Totally. If im playing in front of a few folk I just think I'm getting in the way of their night out, especially if it's a solo gig. 

Big crowd just makes it all easier. 

• 1 month later...

I got a laney mini ST 6W practice amp for Christmas. It’s probably better than my 30 year old 12W Marshall and certainly easier to carry

If you know any young beginners who are looking to take up Electric Guitar then I can recommend it

IMG_0679.jpg.37f38d99bc469af58ceeab19b8af2d1c.jpg

You can run it into your phone and use it as a virtual effects unit

I got a laney mini ST 6W practice amp for Christmas. It’s probably better than my 30 year old 12W Marshall and certainly easier to carry

If you know any young beginners who are looking to take up Electric Guitar then I can recommend it

IMG_0679.jpg.37f38d99bc469af58ceeab19b8af2d1c.jpg

You can run it into your phone and use it as a virtual effects unit
Ive been watching a lot of videos about amps that size recently. I have a marshall dsl20 but want something smaller to practice at home with without annoying the neighbours. I was considering the katana air but am worried it might not be worth the money. One of these might be a better option.

Ive been watching a lot of videos about amps that size recently. I have a marshall dsl20 but want something smaller to practice at home with without annoying the neighbours. I was considering the katana air but am worried it might not be worth the money. One of these might be a better option.

One caveat is that the laney doesn’t come with a power supply so unless you’re happy with batteries you’ll need to a buy a separate 18v adapter unit and the polarity isn’t the usual way round so you need a polarity switcher

You can do that for less than £20 but I spent a little more and got a 10 output power supply which will drive my pedals as well *

If you were looking at spending Katana money then that’s nor going to scare you and you’ll still have money for a, katana style, wireless system that you could use not only on the little amp but the Marshall as well.

* Of course that means I *need* to buy more pedals, and patch cables, and a pedal board