Guitarist Thread

CALDERON

On 29/10/2018 at 18:03, Al B said:

A Taylor GS mini will last you a lifetime. Probably the best acoustic guitar i've ever bought. You'd have to offer me something otherwise prohibitively expensive before i'd accept a swap.

FB_IMG_1540836286404.jpg

FB_IMG_1540836305486.jpg

Picked up a used Gs Mini Koa today.  I was deciding over the Mahogany or Koa for some time.  The Koas are about £800 brand new.  But seeing as I could get a used Koa that’s immaculate for cheaper than a Mahogany.  It was a no brainier.  I love the look of the wood.

B78517C1-1472-4311-BDC2-2FB515A3B756.jpeg

66843818-3A33-413D-BE89-3BDEC75A28BF.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

So been playing for about 9 months now and would say I’m becoming semi competent but still a long long way to go.

Started of with an Ibanez V50 and then got myself a Epiphone dove.

I also got an electric guitar which was just a cheap Les Paul Special that I picked up on gumtree. Bit have now decided to spend a bit of cash and have ordered a Fender Strat Player HSS In three colour sunburst that should hopefully be here early next week.

IMG_2285.jpg

• 1 month later...

Been playing a fair bit recently. I really should be better for my 25 years of playing but I've gone through long phases of hardly picking one up in that time.

Just bought a stand for my SG so it's on show in the living room rather than in its case under my bed. That helps.

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2019 at 18:24, dundeefc1783 said:

So been playing for about 9 months now and would say I’m becoming semi competent but still a long long way to go.

Started of with an Ibanez V50 and then got myself a Epiphone dove.

I also got an electric guitar which was just a cheap Les Paul Special that I picked up on gumtree. Bit have now decided to spend a bit of cash and have ordered a Fender Strat Player HSS In three colour sunburst that should hopefully be here early next week.

IMG_2285.jpg

Oh, I had similar guitars once.  It really sounds as it looks which is not so bad.

• 3 months later...
On 30/07/2019 at 01:08, cb_diamond said:

Just purchased this absolute piece of loveliness!

IMG_20190728_210256_530.jpg

Looks stunning; is it Mexican, US or Japan build?   Post a review.  I’ve a Levinson Blade Telecaster from 1989, one of my most versatile guitars. 

Edited by PRS
Spelling

14 hours ago, PRS said:

Looks stunning; is it Mexican, US or Japan build?   Post a review.  I’ve a Levinson Blade Telecaster from 1989, one of my most versatile guitars. 

This ones Mexican. I've been impressed by the build quality so far and the sound. As you can imagine being a Thinline it's exceptional light due to the cavities in the body. It's an FSR deluxe, which meant it was slightly more expensive (about 80 quid more) than a regular Thinline, but the extras were, in my opinion more than worth it. It's got a set of locking tuners, which I always find very handy and the real star of the show is the pickup selector. Instead of the standard tele 3 way (bridge, bridge+ neck, neck) it's got a 4 way, with the normal 3 and a 4th position that puts the pickups in series, creating an almost humbucker style sound. It's a cracking feature and to be honest not a gimmick as I've probably played it in position "4" more often than the others since getting it. It's also got the usual tele "twang", but is a bit airier due to the semi hollow body, which is nice for cleaner sounding songs. The neck is maple, which is smooth and easy to play, it's also got a "C" profile, which I prefer as quite a few, particularly the Bajas, have "U" necks, which I can never get on board with. All in all I'm enjoying it immensely so far.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

What are folks thoughts on Danelectro?

Can you afford/justify a Rickenbacker  circa £2k - £3.5k new ? if so get it.

If not Danelectro is a great affordable alternative. sub £500. Played a couple and they sounded felt fine to me.

note:

If I recall correctly on Rickenbackers, it goes root string/octave string. On Danelectros and every other make it seems  it goes octave string/root string.

I've been through about 4 or 5 "second" guitars of various styles and still can't find one I enjoy playing as much as this thing. 

Fucking love p90 pick ups. 

711lVeHASmL._SX425_.jpg

Edited by CALDERON

On 21/08/2019 at 03:20, CALDERON said:

I've been through about 4 or 5 "second" guitars of various styles and still can't find one I enjoy playing as much as this thing. 

Fucking love p90 pick ups. 

711lVeHASmL._SX425_.jpg

Is that the Jim Adkins tele?