Guitarist Thread

CALDERON

I have picked up some real bargains over the years on eBay, especially the us site when it was $1.70 to the pound in the mid 00s.  A usa Hamer guitar for $150 bucks from some guy was one. A couple of US made G&Is for $700 bucks each plus shipping.  A new Gretch 6120 for $1.5k. You could dodge the vat back then also.  Some sellers anyway.  

Edited by Snifter Pee Rot

• 1 month later...

Picked up my old acoustic that has been sitting in the shed outdoors for about 3 years. Remarkably it still plays ok.  I never got anything past a beginner stage with it.  I only spend about £100 on it and its a guitar I bought for learning.  Well I guess its like riding a bike because since I picked it up a month ago I am doing ok with it and have been given serious thinking to upgrading.   Now I was thinking about spending about £500-600 and I had my eye on something like a Taylor GS Mini.

But I was talking to a mate of mine over a few pints.  He plays keyboard and has done so for many years.  He had the same thought process as me and I'm sure many others.  Buy cheap, get competent then buy something mid range.  Thing is now he is looking at something far better and he wished he just bit the bullet and bought a high end keyboard.  So my conundrum is do I buy a guitar at about £500-600 or do I save up and plump for something like a Gibson J45 or Taylor 400 series that will last me my life?

Edited by Lofarl

A £500 guitar could easily last a long long time and still be perfectly fine. 

Everyone a their own opinion, but personally I think the difference in quality as you increase the price gets smaller at £500 or so. 

A Taylor GS mini will last you a lifetime. Probably the best acoustic guitar i've ever bought. You'd have to offer me something otherwise prohibitively expensive before i'd accept a swap.

FB_IMG_1540836286404.jpg

FB_IMG_1540836305486.jpg

Edited by Al B

I can vouch for the gs mini. I played my dads mini and had a 114 myself. The mini sounded awesome for its size and so easy to play. I then bought a 214ce for about £1100 and didnt think it played or sounded as good as the cheaper ones so i sold it. May look into getting a mini myself now.

• 5 weeks later...

Grabbed one of the Blackstar Fly-3 mini amps at the weekend.

Paisley Music Centre doing them for £45. Cheapest online at the time was £49 then postage on top...

Not had a battery powered amp since the baby Marshall stack I had at high school.

Tone has certainly come a bit since those things...

• 3 weeks later...

Been wanting to play the guitar ever since I was a boy and I think ive decided to finally teach myself how to do it as I need something to do as life is pretty boring for me right now (no Morton comments please, thanks!). Does anyone have any tips? Bear in mind I have never played a guitar apart from strumming some chords when I was in school so I will be a complete beginner. Was looking on amazon and you can get a decent starter pack (guitar/amp and some other bits) for less than a hundred quid which seems decent to start off with. Looking to take things at my own pace and I don’t expect to be playing Master Of Puppets in a couple of weeks :lol: 

Been wanting to play the guitar ever since I was a boy and I think ive decided to finally teach myself how to do it as I need something to do as life is pretty boring for me right now (no Morton comments please, thanks!). Does anyone have any tips? Bear in mind I have never played a guitar apart from strumming some chords when I was in school so I will be a complete beginner. Was looking on amazon and you can get a decent starter pack (guitar/amp and some other bits) for less than a hundred quid which seems decent to start off with. Looking to take things at my own pace and I don’t expect to be playing Master Of Puppets in a couple of weeks [emoji38] 
There's lots of good tutorial videos on YouTube, for example, Justinguitar. Practice for 30 mins to an hour each day and you'll be surprised at the progress made. Your fingertips will hurt to begin with but that will pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone played reverend guitars before? Was guitar shopping recently and played a few in merchant city music, tremendous sounding and very nice to play. The Double Agent model in particular was lovely, had a great sounding p90. This was the one I played 

262487-1517572733104.jpeg

Edited by cb_diamond

On 29/12/2018 at 22:49, cb_diamond said:

Anyone played reverend guitars before? Was guitar shopping recently and played a few in merchant city music, tremendous sounding and very nice to play. The Double Agent model in particular was lovely, had a great sounding p90. This was the one I played 

262487-1517572733104.jpeg

They are really nice feeling necks to play.

11 hours ago, Nadroj said:

They are really nice feeling necks to play.

I’m selling my Reverend 390 - as you might guess from the title it has three P90 pick ups.  They are excellent guitars for the money, great necks and very versatile with the bass contour contro (which rolls off the bass and makes it sound more fender) only selling it as I have bought a Gibson Firebird and have two other P90 equipped guitars - PRS McCarty Soapbar and PRS SE One.  Mine is up for sale via “Strung Out”  in Glasgow. Never gigged with it as I’m basically an acoustic player 

Edited by PRS

Agree with above but if you have soft finger tips 30 mins may be too much to start with. If your fingers start tingling stop and rest them for a day.

Setting the action pretty low will help with that too.

And use light strings such as .008 they’ll put up less resistance to your fingers and they make fun basic techniques like vibrato and bent notes a lot easier to learn.

• 2 weeks later...
Looking to upgrade my acoustic, probabaly looking around the £200-250 mark. I had my eye on a Epiphone Hummingbird, anyone on here own one?

I have an Epiphone Dove lovely guitar and looks and sounds a lot more expensive than it is. I paid £265 from Guitar Guitar.

Finally took the plunge and got myself a cheap electric RockJam guitar from amazon. Signed up to Justin Guitars online tutorials which seem pretty decent and can take learning at my own pace, only know the two chords so far but hoping to persevere with it.

Finally took the plunge and got myself a cheap electric RockJam guitar from amazon. Signed up to Justin Guitars online tutorials which seem pretty decent and can take learning at my own pace, only know the two chords so far but hoping to persevere with it.
Excellent, all the best man. You'll be playing like Hendrix in no time!