Guitarist Thread

CALDERON

12 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Any other lefthanders here?

I have an electric and acoustic, but  hardly bother with the electric. I prefer playing the acoustic.

I'm a Ned Flanders devotee. Only ever had one guitar, a Yamaha G55 classical that Santa brought me in 1975 and just changed the nut and strings round. Went to classical lessons for a couple of years but the guitar hasn't been used in many, many years. I'd struggle with a Bob Dylan 3-chorder these days.

Listening to the new project featuring ex-Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson. ‘Envy of None’. Tremendous album, and when I say it sounds nothing like Rush, I mean nothing. Could be by Wolf Alice, Metric, The Jezabels, with a hint of Goldfrapp. There are maybe only two discernable guitar solos on the entire album, and the first doesn’t come in until the sixth song or so. When it does kick in though, it is a thing of tasteful beauty. Lovely solo.

He has no right, at nearly 70 years of age, and Rush pretty much being his entire musical life, to be involved in a gorgeous, understated ‘alt rock’ band like this. A grower, a real grower.

Edited by pozbaird

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/04/2022 at 23:04, cb_diamond said:

As a fanboy of both Reverend guitars and all things Smashing Pumpkins, then Billy Corgan's new Z one signature is making me all 😍😍😍

Screenshot_20220425-213604.png

£1100 though..................

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

£1100 though..................

Expensive for a rev for sure, but given their QC and the extras then I can see where they are coming from. A signature Billy Corgan fender would be several times that.

Just scored a Pignose travel guitar as the amp wasn't working so someone at work was just going to chuck it, 10 minutes checking over it, fixed and told I could just have it, nice wee gimmicky guitar to obtain.

What a great thread, only just found it.

I’ve been playing on and off for nearly 40 years and currently own 4 electrics - pictured are 2 of mine: the sonic blue Schecter Strat, from 1978 (when they were building kit parts), it’s finished with Tokai pickups and various Fender bits. And my Fender Noventa Telecaster - probably the best guitar I’ve owned, plays great and the single P90 sounds amazing.

The white Strat is a 1963 Fender which, unfortunately, isn’t mine, I had a loan of it for a couple of weeks off a guy I did some work for. It’s had a paint job refinish so is “only” worth about £7k. It was incredible and oozes mojo.

I also have a Harley Benton TE-52 Tele which is probably 95% as good as my Fender in every way - a truly astonishing guitar for the price.

My 4th guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Junior which is also much better than its cost suggests - it’s currently in bits as I’m doing major mods to it, pretty much changing everything apart from the body and neck.

Soon to press the button on a Fender GTX100 amp as I only have a small practice one at the moment. Anyone got experience of using it?

16AAAAC6-86FA-4F56-A408-583CEB3D63E5.jpeg

Edited by Tattie36

On 05/05/2022 at 20:19, Tattie36 said:

What a great thread, only just found it.

I’ve been playing on and off for nearly 40 years and currently own 4 electrics - pictured are 2 of mine: the sonic blue Schecter Strat, from 1978 (when they were building kit parts), it’s finished with Tokai pickups and various Fender bits. And my Fender Noventa Telecaster - probably the best guitar I’ve owned, plays great and the single P90 sounds amazing.

The white Strat is a 1963 Fender which, unfortunately, isn’t mine, I had a loan of it for a couple of weeks off a guy I did some work for. It’s had a paint job refinish so is “only” worth about £7k. It was incredible and oozes mojo.

I also have a Harley Benton TE-52 Tele which is probably 95% as good as my Fender in every way - a truly astonishing guitar for the price.

My 4th guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Junior which is also much better than its cost suggests - it’s currently in bits as I’m doing major mods to it, pretty much changing everything apart from the body and neck.

Soon to press the button on a Fender GTX100 amp as I only have a small practice one at the moment. Anyone got experience of using it?

16AAAAC6-86FA-4F56-A408-583CEB3D63E5.jpeg

That Tele is very cool!!

On 05/05/2022 at 17:47, Empty It said:

Just scored a Pignose travel guitar as the amp wasn't working so someone at work was just going to chuck it, 10 minutes checking over it, fixed and told I could just have it, nice wee gimmicky guitar to obtain.

I had honestly never heard of this until your post. How does it sound?

8 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

That Tele is very cool!!

It’s brilliant. I didn’t need another guitar but when Fender released it I just had to get one. My favourite guitar shape with my favourite pickup. Here’s a better picture of it with my Harley Benton TE-52. Very little in it between these guitars in regard to build quality and playability. If anything, the HB has a slightly nicer finished neck, the only down side is it weighs a ton.

C306F8A1-74B3-4E02-ABD6-8F4257F141B9.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

It’s brilliant. I didn’t need another guitar but when Fender released it I just had to get one. My favourite guitar shape with my favourite pickup. Here’s a better picture of it with my Harley Benton TE-52. Very little in it between these guitars in regard to build quality and playability. If anything, the HB has a slightly nicer finished neck, the only down side is it weighs a ton.

You'll find quite a few big fans of the P90s on this thread! 👍👍

On 08/05/2022 at 17:31, Tattie36 said:

As a p90 lover, that tele is a cracker. 

I bought this yesterday. Its an absolute beast.
Sooooo bright sounding, so I have to play with the tone knob half way down pretty much all the time, but it's a belter. 
20220512_182100.thumb.jpg.f5b2ac74a03c2c965d3a637716423e4f.jpg
Lovely guitar. What amp are you using?
My pal had a similar jazzmaster and couldn't get over how bright it was so sold it and used a squire instead which sounded amazing for a cheap guitar. That was through a little Yamaha THR so would love to hear it through a bassbreaker or something along those lines.

On 13/05/2022 at 20:28, Qos91 said:

Lovely guitar. What amp are you using?
My pal had a similar jazzmaster and couldn't get over how bright it was so sold it and used a squire instead which sounded amazing for a cheap guitar. That was through a little Yamaha THR so would love to hear it through a bassbreaker or something along those lines.

Cheers! I play through a Marshall Origin and it is a pretty bright amp (I like bright, jangly tones btw) but the Jaguar is soooo jangly. Thing is amazing to play tho and is the most versatile guitar I've ever played. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread. I've had this PRS for just about a year, and I love it. I've played on and off for the best part of 25 years, but only recently started learning properly with scales and stuff, and now get actual lessons. It's been nice to move on from copying songs, and playing bits and pieces, to actually having some sort of understanding what I'm doing. Ive improved more from the last few months than I did on the previous 10 years. All of my team at work are musicians of some sort, and there's been talk of getting together, so I'm trying to learn enough so that I can contribute more than Metallica and slayer riffs.c7cedc1dc8003e96b27bd9efd4bb7f59.jpg

What a beautiful guitar Rowsdower and I love your story. I’m going to start playing again, I just have bad luck with the teachers I’ve made contact with but I signed up for a GuitarTricks membership the other day and I’m hoping this is the answer

It took me a while to find something that worked. I used most of the online stuff, with guitar lessons 365 and Justinguitar being the main ones, but I had a tendency to chuck it when I got to the hard bits. I already know the teacher because my kids have been going there for a while, and wish I'd started with him earlier, as feedback was what I was missing. Some basic scale exercises helped a lot with my hand positioning, and it's pretty cool to look at a tab for a song and understand the scale, so I can keep playing along while I'm learning the faster parts.

Even just the suggestion to practice with a metronome or backing track made a huge difference, and it seems daft that I wasn't doing that already.

I got a positive grid spark practice amp recently, that thing is awesome.