Guitarist Thread

CALDERON

On 11/12/2020 at 11:20, Abby Normal said:

Got this Yamaha apx700ii recently. Seems to have inspired my kid to start playing. Lovely starting to hear some classic indie riffs coming from her bedroom at all hours. 

E12315C1-9C95-4795-AD55-BABC9E041007.jpeg

I've had the 500 in blonde for about 8 years and it's the best acoustic I've had in a long time.

Never had any lessons but have been playing for years, almost exclusively acoustic, my problem is I want to get more into electric guitar, went out and bought a decent electric guitar and amp but can't help myself pick up the acoustic when I want to play.

My electric is a PRS 24 custom
My acoustic is a PRS Angelus

Any tips would be appreciated.

Never had any lessons but have been playing for years, almost exclusively acoustic, my problem is I want to get more into electric guitar, went out and bought a decent electric guitar and amp but can't help myself pick up the acoustic when I want to play.

Learn some stuff that needs you to use the Whammy bar

I’d suggest “Wicked Game” by Chris Isack

On 22/04/2021 at 20:27, Empty It said:

Don't worry if your level of proficiency and control on the accoustic isn't replicated on the electric and it just seems a bit noisy and messy, you'll tame it quickly. Also worth spending some time to work out good tone and volume control between both amp and guitar initially. Getting a great tone makes everything just feel better.

On 10/12/2020 at 04:56, BingMcCrosby said:

Looking for some amp advice if anyone can help.

Basically I've started playing in a band, we've not actually played yet due to the current situation. But we're getting to the point we could do soon.

Im playing a nice tanglewood acoustic and I need to upgrade my amp, or I won't be heard. Above some of the 100w amps the rest have. I've currently got a small laney amp. Which tbh I've not used much as before I was mainly just playing myself or jamming with a mate.

So im looking to get an amp where my acoustic will still retain as much of the tone as I can. While being able to get a bit of distortion with my pedal for parts.

Its been a while since I've done any sort of gigging, 20 years since I was 20. So I'm not experienced in amps.

Should I be looking for an acoustic amp, like I have but bigger.

Or be buying a standard amp more aimed at electric guitars. But one with an acoustic setting.

Like I was looking at a boss katana 100, which has an acoustic setting. But worried it may sound a bit naff. Acoustic amps with a decent volume level are pricey.

Anyone got any advice?

I play in a band and one of the guys plays an acoustic. He only ever goes through the house PA - never an amp.

Only started playing in September on a crappy strat knockoff - bought this in January, love it.

IMG_20210104_194844493.thumb.jpg.b33a82798412b9ca7b12239eeca70ae8.jpgIMG_20210104_194750750.thumb.jpg.5b9dfac2107292d30fa8d7a1e777c445.jpg

Only issue is that my son fancied playing, started in Feb (age 15) and even using that crappy strat he is streets ahead of me already....................😂

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/11/2021 at 22:36, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Has anyone bought/used a Fender Mustang Micro?

See the source image

Update, bought it and it works great on both acoustic and electric.

Also, if you step down your guitar jack, you can play it through an amp.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone using multi fx these days?
I used to play a boss me25 straight into a PA for gigs years ago but it sounded shit tbh.
So I moved onto a Marshall dsl20 and built a pedalboard but we don't really play much anymore.
I got rid of the marshall and bought a fender champion 100 thinking it'd be good at low volumes or using headphones but I'm looking at getting something a bit simpler.

The headrush mx5 looks good as well as 4 or 5 others. I was just wondering if anyone was switching to these or sticking to the old fashioned way?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I finally got a Boss Katana to see what all the hype was about and holy f**k, they are excellent! 

I got the 50W MkII version which has twice the amount of amp/effect settings I believe. It really is a beast, the variety of tones it produces is fantastic and it could easily be mistaken for a cranked valve amp at times. 

The 0.5W, 20W and 50W switcher is a great wee setting as well. Honestly can’t imagine a better value amp for the money. 
Now for my question, I am looking to set up a wee home studio with some pretty basic equipment. Just going to buy an interface and run it through ableton/GarageBand on my Mac and I’m just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with the Focusrite Scarlett interfaces? I used one years ago but can’t really remember my thoughts on it. 
I bought a focusrite iTrack solo and recorded through GarageBand on ipad, using a Shure live mic for guitars and vocals. Works a treat, really happy with the quality. Going to be using logic pro on macbook now but can use the iTrack solo because it's compatible with MacBook/PC as well as ipad. Good wee bit of kit. Haven't used the ableton lite it comes with though, and I think it comes with all sorts of cool stuff you can use with ableton.

Ps only just found this thread today hence the delayed response!

Also ended up ditching the Katana. I grew to hate it which is funny considering the praise I was giving it at the start haha! It's a really good sounding amp on its own, but it's absolutely horrible with pedals imo - despite what people say. 

• 1 month later...
On 20/01/2022 at 01:39, Nadroj said:

Also ended up ditching the Katana. I grew to hate it which is funny considering the praise I was giving it at the start haha! It's a really good sounding amp on its own, but it's absolutely horrible with pedals imo - despite what people say. 

There's a trick to it.  Keep the master volume at max, and use the channel volume to drive how loud it is.

I fucking hated my Katana at first but after using that trick it's a different amp.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone own a Marshall DSL Combo? 

Been hovering my finger over the 'buy' button for months, so I'm really just looking for either a 'do it' or a 'f**k no avoid like the plague' from someone with experience.

Ah.. never mind. Just read the entire thread and see that @Qos91 sold a DSL20. I was toying with the idea of the DSL20 myself, but as you seem to allude to I honestly felt it would have been a bit too loud for residential use, so I have talked myself down off the ledge and am eyeing up the wee DSL5CR instead. Reviews say it still has plenty of poke, but the ultra gain can get a bit fizzy. I'm not that concerned about that because I'd be getting my distorted tone via pedals in the loop anyway. Still interested to hear if anyone has played a DSL5 and what they thought.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Anyone own a Marshall DSL Combo? 
Been hovering my finger over the 'buy' button for months, so I'm really just looking for either a 'do it' or a 'f**k no avoid like the plague' from someone with experience.
Ah.. never mind. Just read the entire thread and see that [mention=68386]Qos91[/mention] sold a DSL20. I was toying with the idea of the DSL20 myself, but as you seem to allude to I honestly felt it would have been a bit too loud for residential use, so I have talked myself down off the ledge and am eyeing up the wee DSL5CR instead. Reviews say it still has plenty of poke, but the ultra gain can get a bit fizzy. I'm not that concerned about that because I'd be getting my distorted tone via pedals in the loop anyway. Still interested to hear if anyone has played a DSL5 and what they thought.

Sorry just saw your post. Yeah the DSL20 sounded fine while practising with a band in a hall but couldnt get a good sound while using it at home even with the switch to a lower wattage.
Haven't tried the DSL5 so couldn't say if they're any good or not. I've read online that some people use the DSL20 with an attenuator and it made it playable for home practice. Might be worth looking into.

52 minutes ago, Qos91 said:

Sorry just saw your post. Yeah the DSL20 sounded fine while practising with a band in a hall but couldnt get a good sound while using it at home even with the switch to a lower wattage.
Haven't tried the DSL5 so couldn't say if they're any good or not. I've read online that some people use the DSL20 with an attenuator and it made it playable for home practice. Might be worth looking into.

Cheers.

DSL5 is on it's way :lol:

From what I can gather it's still plenty loud for home use and a good few folk have even suggested you could gig small venues with it comfortably. I've noticed that the players who are suggesting that even the 5 is still enormously loud are the types who mostly play with clean tones through farty wee amps with zero in the way of gain, and I'm a total hooligan when it comes to tones, so I think their idea of 'loud' probably differs somewhat from mine anyway. I'm comfortable with anything up to 'neighbours banging/can hear it two streets away/ringing ears', so if it kicks out decent tones anything short of cranked I think I'll be ok.

I'm currently in a phase of 'ooh shiny' compulsive spending and am eyeing up a Catalinbread SFT. I've heard that Catalinbread's pedals tend to be really hot and can come with untameable noise. Anyone any insight?