Guitarist Thread

CALDERON

Funny you mention it but I bought one yesterday. 

I previously bought a Tascam for about £40 but it's not very good. The guy in the guitar shop yesterday recommended an AudioTechica at £79. I bought that. Not used it yet.

I use it with the Boss Br 800 home recording unit.

This one?

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-gb/at2020

2 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

That's it. Looks like I got a bargain😉.

I got it in guitar guitar Glasgow. The guy I spoke to was pretty knowledgeable and said although it wasnt the most expensive in my budget range, it was the best. Good for vocals or guitar apparently. 

Still not used it so cant give a personal recommendation yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looking for some amp advice if anyone can help.

Basically I've started playing in a band, we've not actually played yet due to the current situation. But we're getting to the point we could do soon.

Im playing a nice tanglewood acoustic and I need to upgrade my amp, or I won't be heard. Above some of the 100w amps the rest have. I've currently got a small laney amp. Which tbh I've not used much as before I was mainly just playing myself or jamming with a mate.

So im looking to get an amp where my acoustic will still retain as much of the tone as I can. While being able to get a bit of distortion with my pedal for parts.

Its been a while since I've done any sort of gigging, 20 years since I was 20. So I'm not experienced in amps.

Should I be looking for an acoustic amp, like I have but bigger.

Or be buying a standard amp more aimed at electric guitars. But one with an acoustic setting.

Like I was looking at a boss katana 100, which has an acoustic setting. But worried it may sound a bit naff. Acoustic amps with a decent volume level are pricey.

Anyone got any advice?

5 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:
Looking for some amp advice if anyone can help. Basically I've started playing in a band, we've not actually played yet due to the current situation. But we're getting to the point we could do soon.

Im playing a nice tanglewood acoustic and I need to upgrade my amp, or I won't be heard. Above some of the 100w amps the rest have. I've currently got a small laney amp. Which tbh I've not used much as before I was mainly just playing myself or jamming with a mate.

So im looking to get an amp where my acoustic will still retain as much of the tone as I can. While being able to get a bit of distortion with my pedal for parts.

Its been a while since I've done any sort of gigging, 20 years since I was 20. So I'm not experienced in amps.

Or be buying a standard amp more aimed at electric guitars. But one with an acoustic setting.

Like I was looking at a boss katana 100, which has an acoustic setting. But worried it may sound a bit naff. Acoustic amps with a decent volume level are pricey.

Anyone got any advice?

Mic up your acoustic amp and run it through the house PA?

Or look at something like the Boss AD-2 acoustic preamp pedal which is probably simpler
https://www.boss.info/global/products/ad-2/
That will give you a balanced DI output that can go direct to the PA/recording software as well as dealing with feedbacks and giving you reverb

ETA: this guy knows a lot more about this kind of thing than I do

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

7 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Looking for some amp advice if anyone can help.

Basically I've started playing in a band, we've not actually played yet due to the current situation. But we're getting to the point we could do soon.

Anyone got any advice?

I've got a Katana 100 and used it for a few acoustic gigs, its sounds great.  It's got a separate pre-amp for the acoustic channel, so its not just simulating the acoustic sound, its actually an acoustic amp in its own right as well as a standard amp.

There's a video on the Andertons youtube page that shows it being used acoustically.

5 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Mic up your acoustic amp and run it through the house PA?

Or look at something like the Boss AD-2 acoustic preamp pedal which is probably simpler
https://www.boss.info/global/products/ad-2/
That will give you a balanced DI output that can go direct to the PA/recording software as well as dealing with feedbacks and giving you reverb

ETA: this guy knows a lot more about this kind of thing than I do

Cheers ill watch this during nightshift.

3 hours ago, CALDERON said:

I've got a Katana 100 and used it for a few acoustic gigs, its sounds great.  It's got a separate pre-amp for the acoustic channel, so its not just simulating the acoustic sound, its actually an acoustic amp in its own right as well as a standard amp.

There's a video on the Andertons youtube page that shows it being used acoustically.

Good to know, suppose it gives you a bit of flexibility as well.

Ill check out the video.

The other one I was looking at was a marahall as50d or the as100d. The 50 can be picked up fairly cheap and has good reviews. Concerned at the possible lack of overall volume tho.

17 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Cheers ill watch this during nightshift.

Good to know, suppose it gives you a bit of flexibility as well.

Ill check out the video.

The other one I was looking at was a marahall as50d or the as100d. The 50 can be picked up fairly cheap and has good reviews. Concerned at the possible lack of overall volume tho.

Thats one thing with the Katana, its loud as hell.  Can set it to 0.5w for practising in the house, or up to 50w/100w for live settings.  

I did a gig in a busy pub and didn't have the amp more than half way on the 50w setting.  Granted was only me playing, but should easily be enough power to handle a band environment.  

12 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Thats one thing with the Katana, its loud as hell.  Can set it to 0.5w for practising in the house, or up to 50w/100w for live settings.  

I did a gig in a busy pub and didn't have the amp more than half way on the 50w setting.  Granted was only me playing, but should easily be enough power to handle a band environment.  

Theres quite a few reviews online rubbishing the acoustic setting. 

And many reviews saying its great, but your pretty convinced you get a nice acoustic sound?

Im tempted by it, there's a katana 100 mk1 on gumtree just now near Glasgow.

Maybe something like that with the pre amp pedal would be the answer for me.

Appreciate the advice, my heads mush trying to get this straight 😄

Theres quite a few reviews online rubbishing the acoustic setting. 
And many reviews saying its great, but your pretty convinced you get a nice acoustic sound?
Im tempted by it, there's a katana 100 mk1 on gumtree just now near Glasgow.
Maybe something like that with the pre amp pedal would be the answer for me.
Appreciate the advice, my heads mush trying to get this straight [emoji1]

Ultimately the guy on the sound desk will tweak whatever you give him anyway and if you’re playing live with a full electric band in a pub then then fine details of your acoustic tone are not going to make much difference to the audience.

So try not to get your head too mushed about it

Just now, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Ultimately the guy on the sound desk will tweak whatever you give him anyway and if you’re playing live with a full electric band in a pub then then fine details of your acoustic tone are not going to make much difference to the audience.

So try not to get your head too mushed about it

Yeah I appreciate what your saying, I just like to (maybe not like to, but have to) research things to a stupid degree. If I'm dishing out money. Good to get some advice sometimes.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

P90's are the only way to fly.

Honestly, it's opened my eyes big time, I've got 2 HB only guitars and a single coil set up on another. Bought this purposely as a mid point and have not been disappointed at all. The QC on the Revs is unreal.

On 12/04/2021 at 15:23, cb_diamond said:

Honestly, it's opened my eyes big time, I've got 2 HB only guitars and a single coil set up on another. Bought this purposely as a mid point and have not been disappointed at all. The QC on the Revs is unreal.

I used to be humbuckers only but I love the clarity from P90s. Really is the best of both worlds, I actually find the likes of a Les Paul or SG too much at full volume now.  

3 hours ago, CALDERON said:

I used to be humbuckers only but I love the clarity from P90s. Really is the best of both worlds, I actually find the likes of a Les Paul or SG too much at full volume now.  

My SG is definitely way on the noisy side compared to the rev and Tele when I play it now!