Guitarist Thread

CALDERON

I finally got a Boss Katana to see what all the hype was about and holy f**k, they are excellent! 

I got the 50W MkII version which has twice the amount of amp/effect settings I believe. It really is a beast, the variety of tones it produces is fantastic and it could easily be mistaken for a cranked valve amp at times. 

The 0.5W, 20W and 50W switcher is a great wee setting as well. Honestly can’t imagine a better value amp for the money. 

Now for my question, I am looking to set up a wee home studio with some pretty basic equipment. Just going to buy an interface and run it through ableton/GarageBand on my Mac and I’m just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with the Focusrite Scarlett interfaces? I used one years ago but can’t really remember my thoughts on it. 

• 2 weeks later...

For guitarists (and drummers) caught up in lockdown, the Spanish band Hinds (they are actually excellent) is doing guitar lessons on their Facebook page. It’s a lovely, generous act, so give them a follow if you want to learn how to play Spanish English-language indie pop.

On 20/03/2020 at 22:37, topcat(The most tip top) said:

how would I go about studying for and taking the ABRSM music theory exams?

My brother, who is a music tutor, advises the following: "Google abrsm theory teachers near me - that should bring up tutors and teachers website, they will also have rates."

He also has some early grade ABRSM theory workbooks you can have, if you like?

Edited by paranoid android

• 2 weeks later...

Getting right back into the guitar lately. Loving playing again. 

Got an iRig so I can replicate hundreds of signature sounds without an amp, and without disturbing the rest of the house. 

Just before lockdown decided to treat myself to a new electric too, got an ESP and love it. 

Looking for a wee bit of advice. My son, who is 12 has shown an interest in learning guitar. I'm going to get him one of his own but I am swithering between an accoustic and an electric for him. He'd prefer an electric but I started on accoustic and found the switch to electric easier as a result. What's peoples thoughts? My accoustic is a massive dreadnought style, so far too big for him to learn on and my two electrics are frankly too nice and too expensive to entrust to a 12 year old. At the moment it'll be either a travel size accoustic or most likely a tele style squire. Again, any experience with either of these that you could share would be ace. Cheers.

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

Looking for a wee bit of advice. My son, who is 12 has shown an interest in learning guitar. I'm going to get him one of his own but I am swithering between an accoustic and an electric for him. He'd prefer an electric but I started on accoustic and found the switch to electric easier as a result. What's peoples thoughts? My accoustic is a massive dreadnought style, so far too big for him to learn on and my two electrics are frankly too nice and too expensive to entrust to a 12 year old. At the moment it'll be either a travel size accoustic or most likely a tele style squire. Again, any experience with either of these that you could share would be ace. Cheers.

His strength will still be developing so I would recommend starting on an electric it will be easier on his fingers. That said you’re right it’s easier moving from acoustic to electric than vice versa. Either way good to get him into it early. 

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

His strength will still be developing so I would recommend starting on an electric it will be easier on his fingers. That said you’re right it’s easier moving from acoustic to electric than vice versa. Either way good to get him into it early. 

Cool, I think you're right. He's quite musically sound already and had been playing the sax since he was ten, can read music etc. So I'm hoping he'll pick it up quickly.

13 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Looking for a wee bit of advice. My son, who is 12 has shown an interest in learning guitar. I'm going to get him one of his own but I am swithering between an accoustic and an electric for him. He'd prefer an electric but I started on accoustic and found the switch to electric easier as a result. What's peoples thoughts?

I find electric easier.  For example barre chords as well as hammer ons and pull offs.  It can be discouraging not being able to do these things.

Also.  What sort of music does he wanted to play as opposed to what do you want to hear.  I know plenty of people who got an accoustic  to play some mellow serenade but actually their son wanted to play AC/DC.

"Here comes the sun" by George Harrison can be played on an electric  and sounds just fine without the need for loudness or distortion that people associate with electric.

Maybe try a taylor gs mini if you go down the acoustic route? Great sounding guitars and a good size for a 12 year old. I use one myself on the rare occasions I play acoustic.  

On 14/04/2020 at 16:11, cb_diamond said:

My go-to 'everyday' guitar is a Squier Affinity Tele. This very one: link. It's an excellent guitar and plays and sounds much better than a lot more expensive guitars I've owned / played.

I'd go for electric as well. But agree with the advice, ask him what kind of music he wants to play. I first started playing guitar when I fell in love with grunge and punk, and wouldn't have stuck with it if I'd got an acoustic. I diversified from there.

He has a fairly eclectic taste for one do young. Mainly Hop Hop but increasingly gettingbinto more rock music. Have decided to bite the bullet and let him have one of my guitars for the time being a 2014 Gibson SGJ, which has the double advantages of being light as a feather as well as a thin c profile neck so it should technically be easier for him to learn on.

He has a fairly eclectic taste for one do young. Mainly Hop Hop but increasingly gettingbinto more rock music. Have decided to bite the bullet and let him have one of my guitars for the time being a 2014 Gibson SGJ, which has the double advantages of being light as a feather as well as a thin c profile neck so it should technically be easier for him to learn on.

They’ve got a slighter short scale length as well so probably better for a 12 year old

Although at 12 he’s probably already bigger than Angus Young