Guitarist Thread

CALDERON

23 hours ago, PRS said:

Are you in Dumfries? A old mate I knew from uni days taught biology at St Joseph’s, Colin Taylor, and he was an absolutely awesome guitarist, I know that he played in a Thin Lizzy tribute band down there a few years back. Possibly the most natural guitarist I have ever heard and an all round good guy. 

Left about 10 years ago. Didn't know Colin, he may know my good friend Dougie Carrol, another well known Dumfries guitarist.

I'm pretty much a " bedroom " player these days although I still meet up with a couple of guy once a fortnight.

Another reason to avoid guitar shops!!!! 

Here goes, going to post pics of my guitars.  to begin with my PRS McCarty

(L-R)  McCarty Model, McCarty Hollowbody One, McCarty Soapbar Standard

thumbnail.jpg

Levinson Blades:

(L-R) Texas Vintage 62,        1989 R2,        1991 RH4,        1988 T2 (with TV Jones Classic at the neck)

All bar the RH4 were very early runs of that model and were handbuilt as opposed to factory line production

Blade.jpg

Edited by PRS
spelling

Patrick Eggles

(L-R)  

1992 Berlin Pro - this was their actual prototype for the US according to Eggle , based on the serial number.  replaced the Wilkinson trem with a standard strat trem and has had Levinson Blade  VSC active control added.  Signed by the God of guitar, Bill Nelson at "Nelsonica" in York in 2010

New York Broadway - p/ups replaced with TV Jones filtertons

Eggle.jpg

Back row - Fender Jaguar Baritone Custom with SD p/ups; Reverend Warhawk re fitted with Bare Knuckle P90s

Front - All original, vintage 1971 Caley scarf; means more to me than any bloody guitar!

Far East.jpg

Santa Cruz Tony Rice - my second Santa Cruz and both far superior to any D28, the guitars they are based on

Larrivee OM09 - now basically a back up guitar, but Larrivees are great instruments and would choose them over Taylor or Martin anyday

American acoustics.jpg

These are my "open" tuned guitars

NK Forster Model G (tuned in DADGAD) , photo doesnt do this guitar justice.  It has bearclaw spruce top and Brazilian rosewood back and sides.  Nigels guitars are expensive, I think now begin around £5.5K, but he makes some of the best on the planet

McilRoy A30 (tuned CGCGCD), made by a former Lowden employee and very similar in quality and sound but with a bit more bite than a lowden

NK Forster 12 fret Model C (tuned DAAEAE) -built for my 50th birthday

Thats it..........................but I feel I need just one more guitar..............

Small builds.jpg

Edited by PRS
spelling

11 hours ago, PRS said:

These are my "open" tuned guitars

NK Forster Model G (tuned in DADGAD) , photo doesnt do this guitar justice.  It has bearclaw spruce top and Brazilian rosewood back and sides.  Nigels guitars are expensive, I think now begin around £5.5K, but he makes some of the best on the planet

McilRoy A30 (tuned CGCGCD), made by a former Lowden employee and very similar in quality and sound but with a bit more bite than a lowden

NK Forster 12 fret Model C (tuned DAAEAE) -built for my 50th birthday

Thats it..........................but I feel I need just one more guitar..............

Small builds.jpg

That is some collection.

2 hours ago, WILLIEA said:

That is some collection.

Its taken a while to get there, but I'm not  chronic buyer and seller.  Over the last five years my trading has been swapping a JV Squier Strat and an early Tokai Tele plus £100  for the PRS McCarty Hollowbody; selling two Larrivees to help fund buying my current Santa Cruz and the Forster Model G.  The SA2100 and the Blade R2 have both been bought in the last year.  The former, as a Bill Nelson fan, I always wanted to have a 335/345 but never played a Gibson I liked and the Yammy is suberb; the latter because I think Blades are the best Fender style guitar around.  For the first time I feel that I have all the sounds I need covered, having said that, I'm always on the lookout for early Levinson Blades

Edited by PRS
spelling

All mine were second hand mostly beat up and unloved.

I spent over £200 on my Simon & Patrick SP6 Cedar but, even if i had plenty of spare cash, I don’t think I could justify spending much more money on a guitar given my very limited supplies of spare talent.

I’ve been noodling away since the ‘80s and i think I plateaued in the ‘90s

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

No 12 strings? Do you play them all or is it more a collectors thing?

Never got to grip with 12 stringers, and with a few exceptions ( Roger McGinn) not a fan of that sound.  All my guitars get played.  The acoustics because they are all tuned differently; electrics - I can probably get 80% of what I want from any off them, it’s the other 20%  where each guitar comes into its own

2 minutes ago, PRS said:

Never got to grip with 12 stringers, and with a few exceptions ( Roger McGinn) not a fan of that sound.  All my guitars get played.  The acoustics because they are all tuned differently; electrics - I can probably get 80% of what I want from any off them, it’s the other 20%  where each guitar comes into its own

You'd need Pickfords to do a pub gig. :lol:

Just now, welshbairn said:

You'd need Pickfords to do a pub gig. :lol:

Aye, get your thinking! But these days I play mainly acoustic live and mainly open mics and take a maximum of three guitars.  I need the Santa Cruz if I’m playing with a singer as it is tuned conventionally, then probably take the two Forster’s as well as the one in DADGAD is quite easy to return to CGCGCD.  If it’s a solo acoustic instrumental set, that I take the open tuned guitars  The quality of gear I own is far higher than my ability level.  Until the b*****d merger in 1994, I had never played live as I was more interested in following Caley and football generally, although had a been a bedroom guitarist for 20 years before that.  To give an idea, I’ve played mainly pubs, clubs and restaurants with various combos.  My biggest gig was the Queens Hall in Edinburgh and the most famous person I’ve played with was a member of the Blue Nile