Vinyl - anyone still buy it?

philpy

On 28/10/2018 at 07:21, Anodyne said:

I had a ton of vinyl when I was a teenage. I just don't see the point now with all the free music to download? Plus so many different ways to listen with SD cards in mobiles and USB sticks in cars. Who wants the hassle of taking out a record and hoping you don't scratch it?Just for a better sound.

Free music?

Since when has music been free?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2019 at 12:46, jimmy boo said:
On 12/31/2018 at 15:24, CALDERON said:
What's the least I can spend to get a decent set up?  

Probably about £500 minimum plus decent speaker stands and interconnects.

Depends what the bloke wants.  I was clearing my auld dear's house last week and 'discovered' lots of my old LPs that haven't been played since 1981.  I'd reckon I can get a turntable for under £100 and a preamp for about £20 and connect them to the soundbar on my telly with a £10  cable.

Depends what the bloke wants.  I was clearing my auld dear's house last week and 'discovered' lots of my old LPs that haven't been played since 1981.  I'd reckon I can get a turntable for under £100 and a preamp for about £20 and connect them to the soundbar on my telly with a £10  cable.
His question was a decent set up. Not a cobbled together cheapo mishmash. Well that's the way I took it anyway. Do soundbars even so stereo?

3 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
12 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

His question was a decent set up. Not a cobbled together cheapo mishmash. Well that's the way I took it anyway. Do soundbars even so stereo?

Silly.  Adding a turntable and preamp to one's existing audio situation is hardly 'cobbled together cheapo mishmash'.   My soundbar is absolutely excellent and the records I just re-acquired will sound terrific when played through it.  Certainly a gazillion times better than ever they did in our 1970s record player.

Silly.  Adding a turntable and preamp to one's existing audio situation is hardly 'cobbled together cheapo mishmash'.   My soundbar is absolutely excellent and the records I just re-acquired will sound terrific when played through it.  Certainly a gazillion times better than ever they did in our 1970s record player.
If that's your idea of a decent setup then your standards are rather low. Silly.

4 hours ago, CALDERON said:

I'm a complete novice, so my impression of decent may be low. Ie, if I want to the vinyl to sound reasonable. 

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/hi-fi/best-budget-turntables

This is a decent place to start for advice. The Rega Planar range have been very highly regarded among audiophiles for decades. If you get decent gear in the first place it'll last you forever or until you get the upgrading bug. My Linn Sondek LP12 is 34 years old and still going strong.

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:46, jimmy boo said:
On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 15:24, CALDERON said:
What's the least I can spend to get a decent set up?  

Probably about £500 minimum plus decent speaker stands and interconnects.

My set up was just shy of £400 in total but that included the turntable, amp, speakers and decent banana plugs/cable for the speaker connection. If you're going to purchase a set up then it's best to get good equipment IMO rather than going the cheap option, the quality will just annoy you down the line and you'll end up upgrading!

Edit to add: I bought most of my stuff from Richer Sounds, you can add on a protection plan for £15 that covers you for any repairs for about 5 years.

Edited by M0rtonfc

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2015 at 22:29, Wardy said:

I got a record player for Christmas. I've got the blade runner soundtrack and brothers in arms by dire straits along with a few 80s bands like Ultravox that my parents had kicking about their house.

Mine is a stereotrope retro looking thing with built in speakers. It's brilliant. Can't wait to build up a collection of bands like the Smiths and Genesis etc. Although I'd quite like to build a collection of dance and trance vinyls as well...

I have some trance from 10 to 15 years ago.....must dig them out.

• 2 weeks later...