Vinyl - anyone still buy it?

philpy

Wished I hadn't stopped buying vinyl when CDs arrived on the scene in the early 90s, albums from that era on vinyl are a fortune now on Discogs and ebay. Now back to buying vinyl only and have been buying fairly frequently since the virus hit.
The last one I got was Dions new album - Blues With Friends, which is great! Waiting for Idles new one to arrive (coloured & deluxe versions), Working Men's Club debut and Morning Glory picture disc! [emoji4]

29 minutes ago, Oscar Wilder said:

Wished I hadn't stopped buying vinyl when CDs arrived on the scene in the early 90s, albums from that era on vinyl are a fortune now on Discogs and ebay. Now back to buying vinyl only and have been buying fairly frequently since the virus hit.
The last one I got was Dions new album - Blues With Friends, which is great! Waiting for Idles new one to arrive (coloured & deluxe versions), Working Men's Club debut and Morning Glory picture disc! emoji4.png

At the time I was so cool I used to wait until the fan boys had bought the limited edition picture sleeves and coloured vinyl before buying the record.

I still maintain it was the right decision.

• 1 month later...

My latest purchase - £14 off Amazon...

..edit - KCC vinyl in Kirkcaldy has re-opened, in Kingdom Comics shop opposite side of street to where it used to be, will take a dander down this weekend.

122087703_10158812739275960_8497473609376626977_o.jpg

Edited by keyser_soze

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
49 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
1 hour ago, Wardy said:
Record fair in Kirkcaldy last weekend. A good find. 
2C90451E-DD93-4EDC-8FBB-CFFBDACFFE5A.thumb.jpeg.f9a6d7ea3ec262cd30bf821ddb738a39.jpeg

Good choice. I've got all the early Rush vinyl from back in the day.

Ah excellent. I’ve been building up my collection. So far I have Hemispheres right through to Power Windows. Recently bought moving pictures 40th anniversary 5xLP. Currently listing to the live in YYZ 1981 LP from that album…unreal

2B1908CE-B888-4907-9FCD-FB3DD4DE7118.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Just finished stocking my Zomo vs 400 units with my records. Supposedly hold 400-480 each. No way unless you have no modern albums with thicker sleeves or you're happy to squash them in. I reckon 65 - 75 per square, so 300 max. Still worth getting and I've potentially got space for another one.

429 records. Nothing rare. Neko Case boxed set was the biggest purchase. And then the special edition of Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville with the girlysound recordings on vinyl as a boxed set. At least now I can go to the next reasonable record fare safe in the knowledge that I don't have Love, Forever Changes or Four Sail and can buy all 3 of them without running the risk of buying a duplicate. Was sure I had them, but the past couple of days has proven otherwise.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple of recent purchases, the Simple Minds record was signed by Jim and Charlie when they were in Glasgow HMV last weekend, The Beatles White album was right place right time, original numbered 1968 pressing, stereo version rather than the more desirable mono. It was in a charity shop in Glenrothes, has only been put on display 10 minutes earlier, absolute snip at £20, the cover is a bit beaten up but the records came up real nice after few turns in my Spincare. 

311692269_10160316118780960_201721338085115792_n.jpg

312504176_10160333318265960_1189064864838971050_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'd recommend Silver Machine Records In Falkirk.

Only opened a few months but I was surprised when I visited with the amount of decent stock they have(only issue was I didnt have time on the day to look through properly).  Mostly second hand  but a few new items and prices were decent.  Just off the high street.   

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just recently purchased myself a record player and it’s due to arrive tomorrow. To begin with I will be connecting to my soundbar via bluetooth but in the next few months I plan to upgrade to an amp and speakers/powered speakers so any recommendations are welcome. So far I have plundered a few local charity shops and ebay for some records so any recommendations for good records shops in the dumbarton/Clydebank/Glasgow region are also welcome. I’m not particularly arsed about finding valuable gems, I’m only really arsed about buying records I’d listen to which tends to consist of 60’s and 70’s pop/rock. I plan on taking a trip to Europa Music in Stirling which seemed to have a really good selection when I was in buying CDs a couple of weeks ago. I just love the buzz of flicking through all the 2nd hand LPs.

FWIW the turntable I purchased is an Audio-Technica AT-LP60XBT which by all accounts isn’t the best but seemed the most affordable and sensible option for a complete beginner who just wants to spin a few good albums.