Vinyl - anyone still buy it?

philpy

So, updated system, new Audio Technica AT-LP60X £100 from Curry's, Dennon PMA-255Uk amp, £42 off eBay and a new set of Mordaunt M10 speakers for £60 from Amazon.

Sound of the records is so much better than the cheap all in one shit I initally bought (sold for £50 on Gumtree), need some decent vinyl cleaning fluid and some more records !!

Edited by keyser_soze

3 hours ago, keyser_soze said:

Sound of the records is so much better than the cheap all in one shit I initally bought (sold for £50 on Gumtree), need some decent vinyl cleaning fluid and some more records !!

Well done, you get much more out of vinyl records with a good system. I use Vinyl Tap a lot. They have lps across all genres and they grade them for quality. Worth checking out. I clean lps with lukewarm water and a drop of washing up liquid. Use a microfibre cloth and carefully wipe around. 

Well done, you get much more out of vinyl records with a good system. I use Vinyl Tap a lot. They have lps across all genres and they grade them for quality. Worth checking out. I clean lps with lukewarm water and a drop of washing up liquid. Use a microfibre cloth and carefully wipe around. 
It's been a few years since I'd buy the proper hifi mags every month but I don't recall fairy liquid being part if the recommended cleaning regime.

11 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

It's been a few years since I'd buy the proper hifi mags every month but I don't recall fairy liquid being part if the recommended cleaning regime.

Yup, I was dubious at first. But used very sparingly - not a basin full of suds! - and just a damp cloth it does clean well. 

Yup, I was dubious at first. But used very sparingly - not a basin full of suds! - and just a damp cloth it does clean well. 
I don't think I'd be putting any gunk into the grooves some of which then gets dragged out by the stylus. I used to use a very soft brush like thing of the correct size from outer edge to run out groove.

I'd recommend a weak isopropanol solution with distilled water at a 1:5 ratio, and a velvet brush. That's what all the collectors recommended when I was a kid; works pretty well and doesn't leave any residue. Remember to give your brush a regular clean in the same fluid if you're cleaning off old records from charity shops, though, as some of the stuff we get in is manky as f**k. As in, somebody ate their dinner off this at a swinger's party in the Seventies  :yucky

Also, as someone asked it was still worth checking the charity shops for vinyl; aye. I hate to be ghoulish about it, but you never know who's going to die and have their collection dumped at a shop just to get rid of it. One of our shops had a collection of about 2000 Euro Dance 12" dropped off and sold them for 50p each, and I picked up a few hundred early Nineties Hardcore singles earlier in the year, which had a few studenty types losing their shit and leaving with armfuls of vinyl. You never know, and it only takes a few minutes to flip through the mountains of Mantovani and James Last.

Did some of the charity shops today, picked up Hits 5 (80's compolation) double album for £1.35, I remember having it as a teenager, also got A Tonic For The Troops by The Boomtown Rats for a quid, both albums in good nick. Bought an original 7" of Daydream Beleiver by The Monkees for 50p in the vain hope it might be worth a few quid, bit dissapointed after looking at the prices on eBay lol.

Did some of the charity shops today, picked up Hits 5 (80's compolation) double album for £1.35, I remember having it as a teenager, also got A Tonic For The Troops by The Boomtown Rats for a quid, both albums in good nick. Bought an original 7" of Daydream Beleiver by The Monkees for 50p in the vain hope it might be worth a few quid, bit dissapointed after looking at the prices on eBay lol.

Dunno if you've used it before but discogs will became your best pal

9 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

This.

Don't buy vinyl on eBay. The prices folk get for records are ridiculous. It can be exponentially more than sites like Discogs.

20 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

I have used it before, just checked eBay quickly to see recent selling prices. Discogs has a wealth of info, just takes a bit of getting used to

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Been to a record fair for the first time today. Quite surprised by the pricing, a wee bit more expensive than I thought it’d be. Picked up good condition Bowie - Hunky Dory and Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA for £14 and £9. Couldn’t believe the prices of some Beatles albums.

My collectoin has expanded somewhat over the last few months (perfect for self isolation 😀) Have taken to buying stuff from charity shops for a quid, selling them on eBay for anything between £5 - £15 then buying stuff I actually want with the proceeds, been working a treat 😁

2020-03-13 15.45.22.jpg

Edited by keyser_soze

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Any recommendations on where on line to buy vinyl. I've used Juno records and Amazon but interested to know if there are better options available.

Buying new records on eBay is good with decent deals from big sellers.

Beware of discogs for second hand stuff as lots of sellers can’t grade records.

3 hours ago, Brilliantdisguise said:

Any recommendations on where on line to buy vinyl. I've used Juno records and Amazon but interested to know if there are better options available.

Juno and Norman Records are both excellent.