Vinyl - anyone still buy it?

philpy

Anyone ever try this? We get some utterly mawkit records in at the shop, and I must admit to feeling a strange need to give it a go, despite not actually playing an LP in about twenty years.

I bought a beaten up copy of an old soul 45 cheap (relative) so gave this a go. Definitely dug some crap out of the grooves but not sure it would be any better than the traditional spinning record cleaner.
But worth trying if you don't have the spinner.

• 1 month later...

Just got my vinyl down from the loft, sorry if it's been covered before but how should it be arranged ?

Mostly 12" singles ranging from Dutch Gabber to trance.

Was thinking Genre>Label>Cat Number. In the case of single labels Genre>Artist Name

I think I'll need to watch High Fidelity for some inspiration.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I had a ton of vinyl when I was a teenage. I just don't see the point now with all the free music to download? Plus so many different ways to listen with SD cards in mobiles and USB sticks in cars. Who wants the hassle of taking out a record and hoping you don't scratch it?Just for a better sound.

40 minutes ago, Anodyne said:

I had a ton of vinyl when I was a teenage. I just don't see the point now with all the free music to download? Plus so many different ways to listen with SD cards in mobiles and USB sticks in cars. Who wants the hassle of taking out a record and hoping you don't scratch it?Just for a better sound.

This is why the world is so fucked up now. Disgusting. 

Because the better quality sound gets you closer to the music?

Aye- you can virtually reach out and touch the artist while listening on vinyl. It is a warmer sound than digital but I still think the price is ridiculous for vinyl these days compared to torrents/downloads just for that better quality

Because the better quality sound gets you closer to the music?

Aye- you can virtually reach out and touch the artist while listening on vinyl. It is a warmer sound than digital but I still think the price is ridiculous for vinyl these days compared to torrents/downloads just for that better quality
If you've spent thousands on a decent system the price of an album isn't going to be of much concern.

If you've spent thousands on a decent system the price of an album isn't going to be of much concern.

This is true. If you consume most of your music on your iPhone, in the car, at your PC then music files are fine. If you’ve got a decent amp, pre amp, speakers and turntable it makes sense to buy records. They are a daft price these days though.

1 minute ago, Daydream said:

Im lucky having Assai on my doorstep. Popped down today to preorder The Beatles 4LP White Album reissue and picked up a couple of relatively cheap Velvet Underground reissues.

The original was only 2LP's, what's different about this one?