SPOTY

A sense of belonging

Who should win?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

It will be a travesty if Mo Farah isn't second

What the travesty is, is that the BBC continue every year with this shambolic back patting exercise :lol: 

No Chris Froome either.

Froome's exclusion is beyond preposterous, even for the farce that is the SPOTY.

Comfortably the best record of a British cyclist in 2016 and one of only a couple who, it could be legitimately argued, has surpassed Murray in terms of achievements this year.

12 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

No Chris Froome either.

Let's be honest though - it doesn't matter, Andy should stroll it, even with the quality of results the rest have produced this year.

True Murray will win it, but Froome should be on the list

True Murray will win it, but Froome should be on the list

Perhaps him being Kenyan will see him win the foreign category ahead of bolt.... [emoji2] odd to see how many of Murray's rivals in his sport or indeed spoty have a huge drug cloud over them.....#oxygententnotprovenetc

Murray is odds on, and rightly so.  He's himself said the Brownlie brers should get it.

Mo Farah has just done the double 5000 and 10000, for the second consecutive Olympics; yet isn't even talked about. Never been done before; but due to his name mohammed he won't come close. Pretty disgraceful if u ask me. Mo and Andy joint award is what I want to see

Mo Farah has just done the double 5000 and 10000, for the second consecutive Olympics; yet isn't even talked about. Never been done before; but due to his name mohammed he won't come close. Pretty disgraceful if u ask me. Mo and Andy joint award is what I want to see
Yoinks!, pretty strong stuff there champ

It's nothing to do with his name tbh.....there are a lot of people who are dubious about him in relation to peds. I've no idea if that's fair or simply people looking at the allegations regarding his coach n training partners. The oxygen tent maybe doesn't help. Sure I've read that his blood test history has shown him to be clean but in this era mud sticks unfortunately.

It's nothing to do with his name tbh.....there are a lot of people who are dubious about him in relation to peds. I've no idea if that's fair or simply people looking at the allegations regarding his coach n training partners. The oxygen tent maybe doesn't help. Sure I've read that his blood test history has shown him to be clean but in this era mud sticks unfortunately.

Innocent until proven guilty.
What he achieved is unbelievable

16 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Innocent until proven guilty.
What he achieved is unbelievable

And What Chris Froome achieved isn't?!

Wins his third TDF, Second in the Vuelta (Tour of Spain) and gets a bronze in something that isn't his best discipline in the olympics.

12 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

On 28/11/2016 at 20:12, John Lambies Doos said:

It will be a travesty if Mo Farah isn't second

On 13/11/2016 at 21:38, John Lambies Doos said:

No way he will win.
Bolt will probably win again

Mo for the main gong

On 14/08/2016 at 11:31, John Lambies Doos said:

If Mo Farah does not win this this yr... it will highlight a major problem within UK society

Starting to see a pattern developing ......... hiya mo hiya pal 

Mo Farah won’t get talked about as much as Murray mostly because tennis has a larger following, and more news coverage, than athletics in the UK. Even in an Olympic year, like this year, Murray will have done so much in between the Olympics finishing and SPOTY that will attract all the recent attention.

Rivalries will play a part too, mostly in media attention. People will be pleased to see Murray finally overcome his rivals (Djokovic, Federer etc) whereas, Farah doesn’t have any clear rivals who are well known to most people here. That’s why Maurice Greene/Yohan Blake etc are bigged up so much before a big race, to make is seem like Bolt has a real challenger.

Add in things like Farah having a dodgy coach (regardless of whether he was implicated in anything or not) and the fact he was born in Somalia (whereas Dunblane is mentioned every two minutes around Murray) and Farah simply won’t get the same level of support.

Incidentally, I’m not saying I disagree completely. I’ve said both previous times Murray has won it that it was too soon. For me, SPOTY is something you should only win once, and both times Murray has won it previously I still thought he would have a better individual year at some point.

I always thought Greg Rutherford should have won it. He held the gold medal for long jump for the European champs, World Champs and Olympics all at once. For a long jumper that’s about as good as it gets but he couldn’t even get in the top three

Edited by Jaggy Snake

The show should just be renamed the Sports Person of the year, the personality of the individual hasn't mattered one bit and it is clearly judged by the achievements of that particular individual. Andy deserved it in 2013 because of the personality he had shown and the story that was behind him losing Wimbledon the previous year for him then to have bounced back and won it so spectacularly the next year, even though his bouncing back had begun a fortnight after his waterworks at Wimbledon in 2012 it was still a fantastic moment seeing him win it in 2013.

2015 he beat the same standard of players he had been beating all along in the Davis Cup which was the reason he won the award, there wasn't that much to do with personality or any sort of great story behind it it was just him being very good which we had known all along. Same goes for this year, amazing year but its all because he has cemented himself as a top player in the world when his sport is at its most competitive it has ever been but its hardly anything down to the year of 2016 or his personality that has contributed.

I hope someone else wins the award.