SPOTY

A sense of belonging

Who should win?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well going by the views of the media (who they believe is a shoe in not who they think deserves it)  
SPOTY - Harry Kane
Moment of the year - England winning a penalty shoot out. 
With moment of the year having Tiger Woods in its shortlist suggests its not just for UK and in particular English moments (since English sports “stars” make up the rest of the shortlist) surely Croatia with a population of what 5 million reaching the final is a more deserving moment than Englands? What about Molinari picking up 5 points out of 5? Khabib dominating McGregor?  Fury getting up off the canvas in the 12th round? f**k even Jutify winning the American Triple Crown is surely a better moment. 
The moment of the year list is appalling.

Fair play to Woods on winning, but it's worth noting that the tourney he won only had a field of 30 players.

England winning a penalty shoot out against a team well below them in the rankings? f**k off.

Do you think if an English player had scored an overhead kick winner in the Champions League final that he would have made the list? Imo Gareth Bale can feel rightly pissed off at not being included.

23 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Imagine Tyson Fury won it for losing weight and getting a draw over actual world champion Anthony Joshua tho'? Fucking gammons creaming themselves thinking that if a fat, uneducated, racist homophobe can become rich and famous so can they.

I'd be considered as the most leftie, lentil munching sandal wearer going by my beliefs yet I think Fury is the best choice and doesn't fit the pigeon hole you've put him in here.

First of all, he never just lost weight and got a draw. He pulled himself back from horrendous mental health issues and the brink of suicide. He's since become a passionate, articulate and inspiring speaker on mental health issues. Check his twitter for numerous stories of people he has inspired. 

The journey is really unprecedented and for him to do that, then totally outbox the hardest hitting heavyweight out there is incredible. He should be world champion now, is still lineal champion and many would argue the top heavyweight.

As for the homophobia? His comments in the holt piece were abhorrent and dreadful. But,he has apologised, been contrite and said that he doesn't hold those views. In a sport where controversy garners column inches, is it possible that a man suffering severe mental health issues, exploring his faith and at a really vulnerable time after the vlad win said some horrible shit that isn't representative of him as a person and are views he doesn't hold. You only have to look at ohara davies for another tale of a boxer saying stupid shit to stand out that he doesn't velieve or understand and now regrets.

You mention Joshua and his achievements. I think he's a good boxer with one real name on his record (klitschko 18 months after fury schooled him) but should we cast him aside for the misogynistic comments? The drug dealing past? The alleged racism?

I actually think the fury story is really interesting. In a society so willing to vilify, castigate and throw people aside as well as trial by social media, there is a genuine story of redemption of a guy who has said some horrible stuff when at his lowest points, apologised, realised he's been a c**t and now trying to dedicate his life to doing good, applying hi.self and helping others who are struggling. I haven't even really discussed his merits for winning on being a genuinely top notch boxer who put in one of the best British performances on American soil for a long time.

I seriously doubt gammons will be creaming themselves over a gypsy winning btw, I've found that those are the types that hate fury most. Sorry for the long post.

I'd be considered as the most leftie, lentil munching sandal wearer going by my beliefs yet I think Fury is the best choice and doesn't fit the pigeon hole you've put him in here.

First of all, he never just lost weight and got a draw. He pulled himself back from horrendous mental health issues and the brink of suicide. He's since become a passionate, articulate and inspiring speaker on mental health issues. Check his twitter for numerous stories of people he has inspired. 

The journey is really unprecedented and for him to do that, then totally outbox the hardest hitting heavyweight out there is incredible. He should be world champion now, is still lineal champion and many would argue the top heavyweight.

As for the homophobia? His comments in the holt piece were abhorrent and dreadful. But,he has apologised, been contrite and said that he doesn't hold those views. In a sport where controversy garners column inches, is it possible that a man suffering severe mental health issues, exploring his faith and at a really vulnerable time after the vlad win said some horrible shit that isn't representative of him as a person and are views he doesn't hold. You only have to look at ohara davies for another tale of a boxer saying stupid shit to stand out that he doesn't velieve or understand and now regrets.

You mention Joshua and his achievements. I think he's a good boxer with one real name on his record (klitschko 18 months after fury schooled him) but should we cast him aside for the misogynistic comments? The drug dealing past? The alleged racism?

I actually think the fury story is really interesting. In a society so willing to vilify, castigate and throw people aside as well as trial by social media, there is a genuine story of redemption of a guy who has said some horrible stuff when at his lowest points, apologised, realised he's been a c**t and now trying to dedicate his life to doing good, applying hi.self and helping others who are struggling. I haven't even really discussed his merits for winning on being a genuinely top notch boxer who put in one of the best British performances on American soil for a long time.

I seriously doubt gammons will be creaming themselves over a gypsy winning btw, I've found that those are the types that hate fury most. Sorry for the long post.

Don't apologise. A fantastic post, Fury has been truly inspiring over last 6 months. Really hope he wins.

On 13/12/2018 at 12:24, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'd quite like to see the skeleton lady win. Have forgotten her name but she became Britain's greatest ever Winter Olympian so must be worthy of a shout. However, the facts that the Winter Olympics was fucking ages ago and that England did well in the World Cup will count against her. Kane will win. 

Exactly this. Shes the only one who has done something unprecedented for a british athlete.

Kane did almost nothing at the world cup after the panama match.