SPOTY

A sense of belonging

Who should win?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I meant to say appalling and my phone autocorrected, how humiliating.

Tyson might be alright i just have a massive dislike for boxing, think its utter dross

Lewis Hamilton is just a generally cocky spoilt smug bell end of a man. Andy Murray seems odds on for it now.

Edited by throbber

Who exactly did Murray beat en route to winning the diddy world cup of tennis

Who did Murray beat to win the Davis cup? Anyone of any note? How many majors did he win this year? Is what he should be judged on.

Murray beat Donald Young, John Isner, Jo Wilfired Tsonga, Gilles Simon, Nicolas Mahut, Thanasi Kokkanakis, Lewton Hewitt, Sam Groth, Bernard Tomic, Ruben Bemelmans, Steve Darcis and David Goffin en route to the Davis Cup win. However in three of those four ties, he had to win three matches in three days. James Ward winning the only other rubber that wasn't won by Andy Murray.

In Davis Cup rarely do you see the elite stars face off against each other, as it is a team knock out format. You can only beat what's in front of you, and is it Murray's fault Switzerland and Serbia went out in the first round and quarter final? Spain weren't good enough to qualify for the World Group.

Even though it's been said that it was a team event, Murray produced the second greatest Davis Cup performance in history. Winning eleven rubbers and not losing a match. Only John McEnroe in 1984 can beat that when he won twelve. In quite possibly the greatest era of tennis, you have found Murray out perform Nadal, Federer and Djokovic. No active player has done what Murray has done this year.

He made the final of the Australian Open, had his greatest season ever on clay, and tailed off at the end of the season protecting his back. Considering where he was last year, and the criticism he received the transformation this season has been incredible. He beat Nadal in a clay court masters and Djokovic in a hard court masters. Finished the season as world number two. All this after having extensive back surgery.

He is definitely deserving of his place on the shortlist. If he wins it can be entirely justified.

Fisherman its not the achievement award that this is about though its about personality obviously. Although in saying that the show and award itself is pretty flawed as thats what its been about over the years considering Lewis Hamilton won it last year.

The best sporting achievements are Froome and Farah. Froome won't win because of drugs suspicions and not being British. Farah has an outside chance, but will suffer from the same issues, or at least the perception of them.

Hamilton's achievement is difficult to compare due to the car being so important in F1, but F1 world champions usually do very well.

Murray has done well, and in the pre-Murray era it probably would have been enough, but as he won it a couple of years back after winning Wimbledon, I'd be surprised. Having said that he is the bookies' favourite at the moment.

Fury had one great moment, but has no chance because he is an absolute arsehole. And that's not even taking his views on homosexuals and women into account.

Armitstead had a great world championship win, but the road race is a bit random so that in itself isn't enough to win.

Ennis and Rutherford's achievments are clearly not as good as Farah's in the same sport, so they shouldn't win.

Whitlock did really well too, but gymnastics is too much of a minority sport.

I don't know much about the other 3 and I suspect neither do most people, so they won't win.

Finally, well done to the BBC for not selecting a token disabled person.

Murray beat Donald Young, John Isner, Jo Wilfired Tsonga, Gilles Simon, Nicolas Mahut, Thanasi Kokkanakis, Lewton Hewitt, Sam Groth, Bernard Tomic, Ruben Bemelmans, Steve Darcis and David Goffin en route to the Davis Cup win. However in three of those four ties, he had to win three matches in three days. James Ward winning the only other rubber that wasn't won by Andy Murray.

In Davis Cup rarely do you see the elite stars face off against each other, as it is a team knock out format. You can only beat what's in front of you, and is it Murray's fault Switzerland and Serbia went out in the first round and quarter final? Spain weren't good enough to qualify for the World Group.

Even though it's been said that it was a team event, Murray produced the second greatest Davis Cup performance in history. Winning eleven rubbers and not losing a match. Only John McEnroe in 1984 can beat that when he won twelve. In quite possibly the greatest era of tennis, you have found Murray out perform Nadal, Federer and Djokovic. No active player has done what Murray has done this year.

He made the final of the Australian Open, had his greatest season ever on clay, and tailed off at the end of the season protecting his back. Considering where he was last year, and the criticism he received the transformation this season has been incredible. He beat Nadal in a clay court masters and Djokovic in a hard court masters. Finished the season as world number two. All this after having extensive back surgery.

He is definitely deserving of his place on the shortlist. If he wins it can be entirely justified.

Far more eloquently put than I could....but sums up exactly the difference between being a great in an era of all time greats and meh in worst era of the division of your sport....

The World Heavyweight Championship is a much bigger deal than the Davis Cup. Murray is obviously the better Sportsman but whether he has had a better year than Fury who has taken the belts of a man that's held them for almost ten years is highly debatable.

In terms of sport in whole worldwide, I wholly agree. In terms of British Sport I think it is open to debate. Lennox Lewis was undisputed world heavyweight champion and other British boxers (Haye, Bruno, Hide, Akinwande and Bennt) have held the titles recently. The Davis Cup hasn't been won since Fred Perry and Bunny Austin participated. In terms of British sporting achievement it is a rare occurrence.

Personally I don't even think Fury was the best British Boxer this year. His win over Klitchsko was largely deserved, but Klitchsko was shockingly bad. If Anthony Crolla was on the list I would give it to him over Fury and Murray.

The best sporting achievements are Froome and Farah. Froome won't win because of drugs suspicions and not being British. Farah has an outside chance, but will suffer from the same issues, or at least the perception of them.

Hamilton's achievement is difficult to compare due to the car being so important in F1, but F1 world champions usually do very well.

Murray has done well, and in the pre-Murray era it probably would have been enough, but as he won it a couple of years back after winning Wimbledon, I'd be surprised. Having said that he is the bookies' favourite at the moment.

Fury had one great moment, but has no chance because he is an absolute arsehole. And that's not even taking his views on homosexuals and women into account.

Armitstead had a great world championship win, but the road race is a bit random so that in itself isn't enough to win.

Ennis and Rutherford's achievments are clearly not as good as Farah's in the same sport, so they shouldn't win.

Whitlock did really well too, but gymnastics is too much of a minority sport.

I don't know much about the other 3 and I suspect neither do most people, so they won't win.

Finally, well done to the BBC for not selecting a token disabled person.

Good post. You make a decent point about my personal favourite for the title. Armitstead was also the World Cup winner (for the second year in a row). I accept she won't win it, but I still would like to see it.

Obviously of course looking forward to seeing both her and Jess in nice dresses on the night.

Far more eloquently put than I could....but sums up exactly the difference between being a great in an era of all time greats and meh in worst era of the division of your sport....

It's only a part of the sport though. The least competitive part. Where would Fury rank in a world pound for pound list?

Should go to Chris Froome. Froome who is incredibly polite despite having urine thrown at him and all of France giving him abuse for three and a half weeks: see Jalabert incident.

It won't though.

Best Bet is either Lewis Hamilton, Mo Farah or Jess Ennis-Hill

Edited by Marr1

Should go to Chris Froome. Froome who is incredibly polite despite having urine thrown at him and all of France giving him abuse for three and a half weeks: see Jalabert incident.

It won't though.

Best Bet is either Lewis Hamilton, Mo Farah or Jess Ennis-Hill

Froome is a good shout for overseas personality since he's not actually from the UK. ....still being bit white counts for bbc