Alex Salmond.

kevthedee

8 hours ago, wirez said:

Salmond is Farage?

Fine by me. Farage actually won.

I'm sick of fighting the good fight when the other side get to deploy every shitty low blow tactic as we piously look about for the non-existent ref.

A list vote for the SNP is pretty much wasted outside of the South of Scotland constituencies.

I'll be voting Green or Alba as my list vote. Seeing utter wanks like Murdo Fraser and Annie Wells hitting the dole queue would be magic!

That's impressively special rhetoric, even for this place. 

10 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Dross in sensible comment shock 

Regardless of what one thinks of Salmond, the man is innocent until proved guilty. Personally, I suspect he probably got drunk at parties and pinched a few lassies' arses and made a few crude gestures...but that's pure speculation on my part. 😂 

I'll be voting for Alba and the SNP.

4 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Regardless of what one thinks of Salmond, the man is innocent until proved guilty. Personally, I suspect he probably got drunk at parties and pinched a few lassies' arses and made a few crude gestures...but that's pure speculation on my part. 😂 

I'll be voting for Alba and the SNP.

Aye, you’re a c**t too.

Meanwhile.  Independent deliberately talking pish using unnamed source.  Gutter journalism at its worst.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/alex-salmond-alba-party-snp-sturgeon-b1822987.html

I'll not be voting for Alba as Salmond and Wings guy  have came across as narcissistic cnuts for the last year. I actually think the idea of a 2nd indy party to scoop up the list seats is a great idea but if Salmond got enough seats to be king maker I wouldn't trust him to do the right thing. Plus Ross Greer is a good laugh in a Walter Softie going full John Mclane kind of way.

Edited by dirty dingus

8 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Salmond is still a big name and the BBC are still pushing this Salmond-Sturgeon feud nonsense.

They'll invite him on because they think he'll rock the boat with Sturgeon.

During an election they  have to be careful to give all fringe parties equal exposure on debates. In the past fringe candidates got to sit in the front row of  audience and get asked a random question.

9 hours ago, ayrmad said:

You have to wonder why the SNP would rather get a few paltry seats on the list rather than encourage everyone to pile in to someone else to dilute the Unionist numbers. 

Quite simply they want a majority SNP government rather than have to rely on other parties for support.

4 minutes ago, Gallant Pioneer said:

Quite simply they want a majority SNP government rather than have to rely on other parties for support.

Obviously, the SNP always think YES is all about them,didn't work the last time and it won't work this time. 

I'd far rather see the Unionists with 20 or 30 seats less so it isn't almost always 3 NO opinions to 1 YES opinion. 

The 'we want all the power' attitude would be fine if they were actually doing a super job, they aren't and a wee scratch below the surface will highlight some of the nonsense views they'd rather fight about amongst themselves. 

Salmond is running in the North East region. In 2016, he’d have needed 18,500 votes to take the final list seat, or 6.1% of the total vote.

The last seat was taken by a Lib Dem, with the Greens a couple of thousand away. 137k SNP list votes were worthless so I presume he thinks he can take some of them.

Certainly could’ve chosen an easier region for himself to be fair. Having said that, anyone voting for him really needs to have a look at themselves.

I can see this polarising the electorate, and begin to replace the Tory/ unionist vote over time. There's a fair support for this out there. And reckon, they'll pick up 1-3 seats only. But greens will still pick up modest gains. However SNP list seats are going to be considerably harder to come by.

So both votes SNP folk with left leaning views who are against this. What do you do? Stick in with both votes SNP or pile into the greens.

You have to wonder why the SNP would rather get a few paltry seats on the list rather than encourage everyone to pile in to someone else to dilute the Unionist numbers. 

I think it depends what the aim is: to get a majority in the parliament for indy, or to show how much support they individually have as a party. 

10 hours ago, Detournement said:

This has slipped into Sturgeon fanboy mythology but it's not true.

When his QC was under surveillance he was recorded in a private conversation saying: "being a sex pest but he's not charged with that"

We don't know what comes before being because the Sunday Times edited the video. 

You've missed a bit, what he exactly said was;

He could be seen as a sex pest but he's not charged with that.

Now that is his defence lawyer's description of Salmond, the QC who had all the minutiae of the case at his disposal.

I've wondered this as well.

On the one hand, part of me thinks they deserve credit for not gaming the system.

On the other hand, they don't want to share power - is it a case of the SNP first and the cause second? 

I'm interested to see the ramifications of this on the Unionist side. Are we nearing the point where Unionists will start withdrawing from the constituency vote to give the the best placed Unionist the best chance to challenge the SNP on the constituency? That was unthinkable just a couple of weeks ago. 

As a general point, the number of people who don't understand how AMS works is frightening. There was an 'expert' on radio 4 who said it was a 2nd preference vote. 🙈

Edited by Trogdor

10 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

You've missed a bit, what he exactly said was;

He could be seen as a sex pest but he's not charged with that.

Now that is his defence lawyer's description of Salmond, the QC who had all the minutiae of the case at his disposal.

Being a 'sex pest' might mean he propositions female aids in the back of black cabs, etc. It doesn't make him a rapist.

I'm not defending him, btw. All I care about is independence, and if Salmond can help achieve that, then I don't see how him being a bit of a lech really matters that much. 

I've wondered this as well.
On the one hand, part of me thinks they deserve credit for not gaming the system.
On the other hand, they don't want to share power - is it a case of the SNP first and the cause second? 
I'm interested to see the ramifications of this on the Unionist side. Are we nearing the point where Unionists will start withdrawing from the constituency vote to give the the best placed Unionist the best chance to challenge the SNP on the constituency? That was unthinkable just a couple of weeks ago. 
As a general point, the number of people who don't understand how AMS works is frightening. There was an 'expert' on radio 4 who said it was a 2nd preference vote. [emoji85]
Parties don't tend to advocate voting for another party on the list - not unless your Kezia Dugdale.

This is a break from that but it's the smaller party advocating voting for the larger party in the constituency.

In a way the Greens have done the same by not standing in constituencies.

I do wonder what would happen if Alba relegated the Lib Dems to 6th biggest political party in the chamber you would imagine they would get very little say and be seen as a minority party

23 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Being a 'sex pest' might mean he propositions female aids in the back of black cabs, etc. It doesn't make him a rapist.

I'm not defending him, btw. All I care about is independence, and if Salmond can help achieve that, then I don't see how him being a bit of a lech really matters that much. 

^^^ low standards.  Don’t know if you have daughters but explaining to them that a man “being a bit of a lech” doesn’t really matter should make for an interesting conversation.

There was already going to be a pro Indy parliament, if not an SNP majority.

If you think this is a positive thing, frankly you are too stupid to understand what we need to do to win.

100 pro Indy MSPs won't win one more vote in a referendum. The sustained support in Independence has come about by Sturgeon being able to reach voters Salmond never could.

Salmond and his deplorables are going to haul us backwards as moderates and soft Yes disappear like snow off a dyke 

Edited by invergowrie arab

43 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

If you seriously think his parcel of rogues will help achieve independence then I've got a treasure map you can buy for £1 million.