Alex Salmond.

kevthedee

Guest Bob Mahelp
16 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Whatever happens, Sturgeon at the committee is going to be massively entertaining. A true winner takes all event. 

Is it the same as the 'bombshell' evidence from Salmond that turned out to be notjhing of the sort ?

'Explosive', 'bombshell'....what is it with you Yoons and your hard-on for war analogies ?

Just now, Bob Mahelp said:

Is it the same as the 'bombshell' evidence from Salmond that turned out to be notjhing of the sort ?

'Explosive', 'bombshell'....what is it with you Yoons and your hard-on for war analogies ?

Still awaiting your explanation on calling me a fantasist, you've ignored said responses. You seem very selective like that which is odd. 

What bombshell Salmond evidence are you talking about? I didn't post anything of the sort. 

I don't use war analogies, what is it with Yes Da's and calling people "yoons" is it meant to be offensive? 

2 minutes ago, Bula Bairn said:

If Salmond had called for Sturgeon to resign then the public might have been interested but he didn't.  Explosive stuff. 

He is calling the FM a liar.  If she is found guilty of breaking the Ministerial Code and doesn't resign then I think you may hear him publically calling for her resignation.

1 hour ago, Bula Bairn said:

If Salmond had called for Sturgeon to resign then the public might have been interested but he didn't.  Explosive stuff. 

He explicitly accused her of breaking the ministerial code. That is clearly a resignation matter. I'm not saying that she did breach the code however him saying she broke it is as good as him asking for a resignation.

My preference is for Sturgeon to somehow come through this cleanly enough to lead a credible election campaign, purely because we're now just two months before election week - about one month before this comes to its full conclusion - and because I'd like to see Scottish independence in the relatively near future.

Given the only defences being offered of her at the moment appear to be one or more of 1.) casting doubt on the jury's verdict on the Salmond trial, 2.) bigging up opinion polls that apparently show people don't care about government wrongdoing, 3.) most embarrassingly, setting the benchmark for behaviour on the ministerial code with Tory ministers, it's not difficult to be concerned that we are headed for a relative disaster in May (i.e. anything short of majority).

3 hours ago, Donathan said:

He explicitly accused her of breaking the ministerial code. That is clearly a resignation matter. I'm not saying that she did breach the code however him saying she broke it is as good as him asking for a resignation.

So just how serious and damaging was this alleged breach of the ministerial Code?

Is it as serious as Tony Blair telling Parliament that Saddam Hussein had WMD, which of course led this country into an unnecessary and arguably illegal war against Iraq? 

I would have described that as a resignation matter.

33 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

So just how serious and damaging was this alleged breach of the ministerial Code?

Is it as serious as Tony Blair telling Parliament that Saddam Hussein had WMD, which of course led this country into an unnecessary and arguably illegal war against Iraq? 

I would have described that as a resignation matter.

The biggest outrage in that fiasco is that Blaiir did as he was told to do by George Bush. 

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's allright then.

I just checked and two wrongs still don't make a right!

As I said on Friday it's pretty obvious that Neil and the Times are sitting on more than they had published and are timing it to maximise damage to Sturgeon. Now she will have to answer questions on Aberdein's evidence which has been the elephant in the room the entire time. 

If she had immediately sacked Evans and demoted Lloyd after the CoS verdict she would be untouchable. By supporting them all their wrong doing is connected to her. 

As I said on Friday it's pretty obvious that Neil and the Times are sitting on more than they had published and are timing it to maximise damage to Sturgeon. Now she will have to answer questions on Aberdein's evidence which has been the elephant in the room the entire time. 
If she had immediately sacked Evans and demoted Lloyd after the CoS verdict she would be untouchable. By supporting them all their wrong doing is connected to her. 
She can't sack Evans

16 minutes ago, jakedee said:
46 minutes ago, Detournement said:

She can't sack Evans

If she tells the Civil Service in London she wants her gone she will be immediately removed.  Permanent secretary's serve at the discretion of Ministers.

The final paragraph of the Sunday Times article is

SNP sources predict Leslie Evans, the head of Scotland’s civil service, will be ousted over her role in the affair. The SNP chief executive, Peter Murrell, who is also Sturgeon’s husband, and her chief of staff, Liz Lloyd, are also tipped to move.

Edited by Detournement

On 27/02/2021 at 12:25, SandyCromarty said:

I am not trying to smear the man, he is a brilliant orator and did wonders for the SNP, what I am saying is that because of his actions while in office the SG may well have decided to wash their hands of him and that left him, in his mind, sold down the river and the result of that is this debacle.

If they'd done that, we wouldn't be here, would we?

But they didn't, did they?

On 27/02/2021 at 13:45, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Me, an utter moron: I dunno, maybe the admissions of inappropriate and apology worthy behaviour, the candid description by his own QC and the string of complaints made against him since at least 2009 (which wasn't even made public until fairly recently, a seemingly odd choice for a false smear accusation) would suggest that while not meeting the threshold of illegality this person's conduct is far from ideal, especially for the leader of political party and movement. Perhaps applying the standards of proof required in a criminal case to a matter of public opinion is a bad look and  unsustainable if you wish to be taken seriously. 

How is any of that justification for a criminal conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, perjury and conspiracy to suborn perjury, repeated failure of workplace complaints procedures (including breach of anonymity of complainants), the SG being found by the Court of Session to have acted unlawfully, abuse of executive power to suppress evidence, repeated misleading of parliament, and the wilful destruction of the SNP?

It's almost as if applying your own personal moral standards based on smears and innuendo to a political scandal with implications for public confidence in government, parliament, and the prosecution service is a bad look and unsustainable if you want to be taken seriously.

9 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The analogy comes from Leslie Evans - I thought you'd know that.

She is a yoon, though.

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The straw grabbing by the Heil on Sunday today is just astounding.

If they honestly think that evidence in private for the second enquiry is going to produce a different result they really are living in cloud cuckoo land.

If anything it is less likely.

Says P&B's leading expert on living in cloud cuckoo land.