Alex Salmond.

kevthedee

That's absolute nonsense really. You may think it has a better chance of improving through independence, but to claim Scotland can't improve as part of the union is untrue. It has improved during numerous periods over the past 300 years.

There is one thing that is certain. Relative to the South of England, Scotland will under-perform for as long as the UK exists.

Imagine thinking of spending £17bln on a single runway at an airport. Significantly more than 50% of the entire Scottish Goverment Grant. For a single runway FFS.

ETA: I know that they justify it on the basis that it benefits the whole country. However, if they took a more holistic approach then we could see the infrastructure built in other areas of the island with better long term benefits.

Edited by strichener

In this case, past performance (patchy even though that was) is no indicator of future performance, so when Lichtie says it can't improve in the Union, he's clearly speaking in a contemporary sense, and while that view may be poorly quantifiable, pointing to the Scottish enlightenment or the industrial revolution doesn't actually negate his point.

Pointing to the Scottish enlightenment and industrial revolution as evidence of the UK benefitting Scotland is popular, but the living standards of the average urban and rural lower-class Scots did not reach the level of comparable classes in England until the thirties.

Would you class a turnout of 84.59%/over 3.6m people who voted in a democratic election as a "embarrassment"dont think i would.

I would if 55% of those 3.6m chose to tug their forelock, doff their cap, get on their knees and keep the begging bowl held out.

And since "embarrassment" starts with a vowel, it's preceded by "an" not "a".

HTH.

Pointing to the Scottish enlightenment and industrial revolution as evidence of the UK benefitting Scotland is popular, but the living standards of the average urban and rural lower-class Scots did not reach the level of comparable classes in England until the thirties.

Quite true, of course. The road to Union was itself an act of economic blocade by England on Scotland in the first place. Counter history is interesting, if academic - the major issues of England restricting it's chiefly American colonial markets to force Scotland into penury would of couse, dissapear 69 years later as well....

I would if 55% of those 3.6m chose to tug their forelock, doff their cap, get on their knees and keep the begging bowl held out.

And since "embarrassment" starts with a vowel, it's preceded by "an" not "a".

HTH.

Its interesting that you complain about the SNP not getting treated with respect but you have none yourself ,hypocrisy fide.

Would you class a turnout of 84.59%/over 3.6m people who voted in a democratic election as a "embarrassment"dont think i would.

The separatists still can't get past the fact that the majority of Scots disagreed with them. They may feel embarrassed, the rest of us don't. Let em f*ckin get on with it.

The separatists still can't get past the fact that the majority of Scots disagreed with them. They may feel embarrassed, the rest of us don't. Let em f*ckin get on with it.

Yep.

The genie is out the box, getting on with it is exactly what is happening.

Yep.

The genie is out the box, getting on with it is exactly what is happening.

A fair point - are regionalism and British nationalism ever likely to gain in appeal to those who believed in Scotland's future as a sovereign state?

Edited by Antlion

I can understand the latter, to an extent. Some people, weirdly and quite perversely have a real affinity with the "United Kingdom". I get that.

What I don't get is anyone who thinks we'd be worse off running our own affairs than the absolute clusterfuck consecutive Westminster governments have made of running Scotland.

Aye and some people, weirdly and quite perversely have a real affinity with Scotland.. :lol:

If you can't understand the other side of the argument you're posing then your side is always going to be skewed. You're pretty much admitting to being completely one sided in your line of thinking.

Edited by Stormzy

Aye and some people, weirdly and quite perversely have a real affinity with Scotland.. :lol:

If you can't understand the other side of the argument you're posing then your side is always going to be skewed. You're pretty much admitting to being completely one sided in your line of thinking.

Why not change his mind? Do you have a real affinity with the United Kingdom as a nation (rather than Scotland), and if so, what's so endearing about it that gives you this nationalistic affiliation?

Because that IS the ONLY way we can improve.

After last years embarrassment and us being utterly hopeless at the only thing we care about and compete at on a national stage, I think we should just call it quits as a 'country' anyway tbh.

What's the only thing Scottish people care about out of interest? What do you even mean call it quits as a country? :lol:

What's the only thing Scottish people care about out of interest? What do you even mean call it quits as a country? :lol:

Represented on a national stage? Football.

And just call it a day, pack it in, start calling ourselves Northern England instead. I may or may not being totally serious here.

Why not change his mind? Do you have a real affinity with the United Kingdom as a nation (rather than Scotland), and if so, what's so endearing about it that gives you this nationalistic affiliation?

He's already admitted that he can't understand the other side of the argument. I'm not going to waste time debating someone so narrow minded.

Nationalism, generally speaking, is for fucking morons. I just find it glaringly hypocritical that this poster can describe feeling an affinity with the United Kingdom as weird and perverse whilst blatantly holding an affinity with Scotland.

He's already admitted that he can't understand the other side of the argument. I'm not going to waste time debating someone so narrow minded. Nationalism, generally speaking, is for fucking morons. I just find it glaringly hypocritical that this poster can describe feeling an affinity with the United Kingdom as weird and perverse whilst blatantly holding an affinity with Scotland.

So the Westminster parties who waxed lyrical about the preserving our three-hundred-years of nationhood are fucking morons? If so, then it seems eminently sensible to take the opportunity to part company with them.

It's also notable that none of these parties aspires to regional status for the UK, so presumably they think regionalism is for fucking morons. They must class the Scots amongst that company.