Alex Salmond.

kevthedee

30 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Part of the problem is that the SNP have been in power far too long, just like Labour before them to the extent that Scotland resembles a one party state.

No other party is outlawed, everybody is free to vote for any of the other parties. The fact that they don't might suggest the current SG are getting it right for the majority of the population. It might also help if election material sent out by parties hoping to get into power actually spelled out what else might be on offer. I received a Tory leaflet yesterday. Surprisingly, no policy and only mewling about stopping the SNP. Why would that convince anybody?

I’m not sure women will be confident either that their anonymity will be respected given there’s people doing their bit to nudge and wink people’s identity out into the open and others who think a not guilty verdict should be open season to go hog wild on the people making the complaints
Yet Salmond has been acquitted by a court and these women have been able to continue to suggest he is guilty from behind this shield of anonymity. How would any of us feel in Salmond's position?

58 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Part of the problem is that the SNP have been in power far too long, just like Labour before them to the extent that Scotland resembles a one party state.

Sorry, but this is one of the dumbest routine criticisms of the SNP and Scottish politics going around. A one party state is completely different to a multi-party democracy where one party has consistently won elections and due to the voting system, don't even hold a majority in parliament and have only ever done so once. You might not like the SNP being relatively dominant but "one party state" is a terrible analogy.

Over the past decade, the Conservatives have held far more unchallenged power at Westminster than the SNP have at Holyrood. 

who does this one-party state nonsense convince?  It's a free and fair election.  The fact the SNP are one of the most popular parties in Europe is because the people are voting for them.  Remarkable when on a state level they are considered an enemy and have been in power so long.

Is it not just obvious that the Scottish people want a better settlement and to be respected as a country either in a union or as an independent state?    

Are the opposition so utterly rubbish they can't triangulate that and come up with a better offer?  It's not the Scottish people's fault the opposition are so craven.

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Sorry, but this is one of the dumbest routine criticisms of the SNP and Scottish politics going around. A one party state is completely different to a multi-party democracy where one party has consistently won elections and due to the voting system, don't even hold a majority in parliament and have only ever done so once. You might not like the SNP being relatively dominant but "one party state" is a terrible analogy.

Over the past decade, the Conservatives have held far more unchallenged power at Westminster than the SNP have at Holyrood. 

I was careful to use the word ‘resemble’

Throughout history, all governments become stale and complacent.

In a UK context, Thatcher was necessary, as was Blair ,but inevitably they need to be replaced.

In a Scottish context, we have the SNP, which has become more and more left wing by taking over Labour voters all under the banner of independence (whatever that means) and, at the same time the Conservatives have suffered from poor leadership.

Not a good place for good government.

16 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

In a UK context, Thatcher was necessary, as was Blair ,but inevitably they need to be replaced.

In a Scottish context, we have the SNP, which has become more and more left wing by taking over Labour voters all under the banner of independence (whatever that means) and, at the same time the Conservatives have suffered from poor leadership.

Right, so nothing like a one party state at all then?

18 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

In what way does Scotland 'resemble' a one party state? You're more than free to start your own party.

3 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Not sure there are going to be any winners in this sorry tale. The independence fight is the only possible loser and that's the also only thing I care about. I have no time for either of the sides in this shitstorm.

To think that independence fight will be harmed by this episode is to think that Sturgeon and Salmond are the be all and end all of the independence campaign. Support for independence is propping up the SNP's poll figures.

1 minute ago, sparky88 said:

To think that independence fight will be harmed by this episode is to think that Sturgeon and Salmond are the be all and end all of the independence campaign. Support for independence is propping up the SNP's poll figures.

Do you think that this will have no effect on the polling in May? I hope you're right.

I think that there will be some people who are influenced. Particularly if it can be shown or the seeds of doubt sown that she tried to get an innocent man jailed to further her political ambitions. 

3 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Agreed. The likes of Galloway and his brigade of bams may think there will be an impact on intentions to vote for independence or otherwise. They'll be sorely disappointed. I don't know anyone who thinks that the outcome of the Sturgeon/Salmond debacle will materially shift their views on independence. The people I do see bumping their gums are those who were already howling at the moon like manky jacket, the bint who got suspended in Moray or the ubiquitous British Alba which is clearly a multi user account where I'd be surprised if there were not some folk very close the the Scottish Conservatives who are making use of it. 

Given that the U.K. Government has a majority in Parliament to do anything it wants, an almost universally compliant media and an opposition party that doesn’t ever criticise a thing they do, I’d maybe suggest that that more closely “resembles” a one party state that the fucking minority government we have in Scotland.

Of course, I wouldn’t actually suggest that the U.K. resembles a one party state, because I’m not a fucking moron.

Guest Bob Mahelp
25 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Nobody cares, nothing to see here etc..

So The Crown Office have asked the enquiry to redact Salmond's submission. 

What do you mean by 'nobody cares, nothing to see here' ?

Are you suggesting that The Crown Office are under the control of the SNP and are acting on their behalf ? That the Lord Advocate is compromising his integrity and his career to somehow help Nicola Sturgeon ?

Edit : I see that Salmond is actually doing exactly that. He's fucking nuts. A fruitloop conspiracy theorist of the highest order, twisted beyond reason as he desperately flails around looking for revenge and trying to stay relevant. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

2 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I agree with you, especially regarding the civil service and crown office.

Both far too close and under the influence of the SNP government.

Of course the civil service in Scotland is under the influence of the SNP Government, that’s literally the fucking point of the civil service.

9 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

So The Crown Office have asked the enquiry to redact Salmond's submission. 

What do you mean by 'nobody cares, nothing to see here' ?

Are you suggesting that The Crown Office are under the control of the SNP and are acting on their behalf ? That the Lord Advocate is compromising his integrity and his career to somehow help Nicola Sturgeon ?

Edit : I see that Salmond is actually doing exactly that. He's fucking nuts. A fruitloop conspiracy theorist of the highest order, twisted beyond reason as he desperately flails around looking for revenge and trying to stay relevant. 

I was just paraphrasing what we had seen posted here multiple times when the issue was being raised at the end of last year. 

We'll see how this plays out. Why do you think the submission is going to be redacted out of curiosity? 

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I’m not sure women will be confident either that their anonymity will be respected given there’s people doing their bit to nudge and wink people’s identity out into the open and others who think a not guilty verdict should be open season to go hog wild on the people making the complaints

Jesus.

The people who have done more to expose women in this, and therefore undermine confidence in how legitimate complaints will be handled, are the govt and civil service.

And à not guilty verdict is just a not guilty verdict, unless it was arrived at in the face of perjury, or anonymity has been abused in order to conceal a complainer’s earlier involvement in an unlawful civil service process.

Any half-intelligent person should have worked that out by now.

The truth is that the not guilty verdict has been taken as ‘open season’ to try Salmond over and over again... thereby increasing the risk that complainers will be identified (but somehow maintaining the absolute fantasy that the motivation is concern for the women).

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I was just paraphrasing what we had seen posted here multiple times when the issue was being raised at the end of last year. 

We'll see how this plays out. Why do you think the submission is going to be redacted out of curiosity? 

As I understand it, the statement has to be redacted because of a possible breach of a court order. Legal technicalities which may, or may not, effect the proceedings. As you say, we'll see how this plays out. 

Salmond, as ever, deals only in certainties. It was ever thus. He's so absolutely certain he's correct in everything he says, he refuses to entertain the possibility that he can be wrong or mistaken. And so when people disagree with him, or something trivial like the law becomes a stumbling block, he screams 'conspiracy'. He must have been wronged, because he's always right. So how can others have a case ?

Of course, it's all grist to the mill of people like yourself.