Bombing Syria

ICTJohnboy

It's a three-line whip, so yes. Any SNP MP voting against the air strikes will lose the whip and most likely be deselected.

It's desperately sad. Not insane, not bizarre, just sad.

I'm actually surprised at that. Following a few MPs feeds on Twitter and actually knowing one in the flesh, I would have thought the no vote would have been unanimous anyway.

It just gives the impression that maybe the group isn't as solid as folk make out.

70,000 what?

I genuine have missed what that number refers to.

Moderate fighters who would hold the ground vacated by ISIS after they retreated.

'Not a single blade of grass was held by any air strike anywhere' - I think I read that quote in a book about the American Marines in Iraq.

I'm actually surprised at that. Following a few MPs feeds on Twitter and actually knowing one in the flesh, I would have thought the no vote would have been unanimous anyway.

It just gives the impression that maybe the group isn't as solid as folk make out.

It's how the SNP generally organise votes. They tend to be all in and all out. The lack of dissension in the ranks is one of the SNP's greatest achievements as a political party. For a while there, the SNP were unelectable renegades. It took Salmond's return to create a party singing, ostensibly, from the same hymn sheet.

Edited by Savage Henry

Moderate fighters who would hold the ground vacated by ISIS after they retreated.

'Not a single blade of grass was held by any air strike anywhere' - I think I read that quote in a book about the American Marines in Iraq.

Okay. That number seems to me highly controversial in that ghost soldiers have made the counting of troops in Iraq a bit of a lottery. I'm not saying it's an exaggeration, but unless someone knows better, it's highly unreliable

Agreed. The branch meetings can be eventful, we had an absolute belter of a debate over Trident and NATO before the vote and it was the only time we mandated our delegates going to conference. Real passion, arguments left right and centre and it was a joy to behold.

Once the door opened though, the branch spoke as one (which was to vote in favour of joining NATO). I expect the parliamentary group will be exactly the same way.

Okay. That number seems to me highly controversial in that ghost soldiers have made the counting of troops in Iraq a bit of a lottery. I'm not saying it's an exaggeration, but unless someone knows better, it's highly unreliable

It's just a random number plucked from thin air. I would divide it by three and it might be closer to the real amount, it's what most folk do in similar circumstances

Agreed. The branch meetings can be eventful, we had an absolute belter of a debate over Trident and NATO before the vote and it was the only time we mandated our delegates going to conference. Real passion, arguments left right and centre and it was a joy to behold.

Once the door opened though, the branch spoke as one (which was to vote in favour of joining NATO). I expect the parliamentary group will be exactly the same way.

Yep. Not saying right or wrong, but it's how the party operates. Major's Conservatives, torn asunder by the European question, seems to be the antithesis of the current SNP.

It's just a random number plucked from thin air. I would divide it by three and it might be closer to the real amount, it's what most folk do in similar circumstances

I put almost all my faith in the Kurdish Permerga. What they want, seems to me to be the right thing.

It won't, but there will be debate and votes behind closed doors and once they are open, it's a unified front.

I'm stunned folk can't grasp this....

I'm not entirely sure it is a positive that MPs have to lie through their back teeth for the sake of maintaining a mirage of party unity.