Bombing Syria

ICTJohnboy

You mean when it suits your argument you mean?

No, I mean when there actually are parallels. I went through why this situation was not like the Iraq War in painstaking detail and showed how it was more similar to the interventions that we have generally considered both justified and in hindsight successes.

Dont think you are let off with this pile of drivel

Are you suggesting that the Ministry of Defence and French government are lying? Where is your evidence?

"Raqqa is being Slaughtered Silently" - citizen journalist group in the IS stronghold

The group said on Twitter that it opposed UK bombing raids.

"We are against the UK strikes on Raqqa. All the world is bombing Raqqa and the UK will not make any change in the situation. If the UK wants to help people then it should accept Syrian refugees and not close the border.

"Just bombing IS in Raqqa from the sky will not defeat IS, but it will make people suffer more. IS will use the UK strikes to recruit new people in the West and new fighters and maybe they will carry out terrorist attacks.

"In the end nobody will liberate Raqqa except the people of Raqqa."

No, I mean when there actually are parallels. I went through why this situation was not like the Iraq War in painstaking detail and showed how it was more similar to the interventions that we have generally considered both justified and in hindsight successes.

Are you suggesting that the Ministry of Defence and French government are lying? Where is your evidence?

So its the Ministry of defence and not the americans and the french that are saying we are involved because we have brimstone?But you have already stated its because we cant trust the Saudis but everybody else in the coalition is fine,whats the odd hospital or 2 between friends

Its for political reasons and not any military reasons

Our 35 year old planes can't carry Brimstone missiles.

Funny thing is that the American designs flying over Syria are of similar vintage, first F 16 flew in 1979, first F 15 in 1976, first F 18 in 1984. The Tornado's first flight was 1979. The Typhoon first flew in 1994, that makes it the same vintage as the US F 22, which isn't flying over there, and the French Rafale. The only western design from the last 15 years is the F -35.

Fast jets tend to be built to last a long time, with plenty of growth potential, due to the sheer expense of them. The modern Tornado GR4 is a huge upgrade over the original 80s GR1, the latest block F-16s are more capable than the originals. Electronics, cockpits, engines and weapons can be upgraded and they are only really limited by the contemporary understanding of aerodynamics when they were built.

As for Brimstone. It started life as an upgrade to Hellfire (Hellfire and Brimstone, geddit??) To replace the original Hellfire's laser seeker with a mmW seeker that could be used from fast jets, so that the RAF had a long range anti armour weapon after the GBU87 cluster bombs were banned by the landmine treaty. Hellfire was later upgraded to have a similar mmW front end as Brimstone, and in truth offers much the same accuracy as that missile, the only real differences being that Hellfire hasn't been integrated onto fast jets (Reaper Drones and Apache helicopters only) and the warhead produces more shrapnel than Brimstone, so is a bigger risk in terms of collateral damage.

But don't our fast bombers prefer the paveway for their current assignment? And are more like to use the Paveway?

Anyway, Cameron's 70,000 ghost battalion official rubbished by the MoD supposedly. Call me shocked.

Yeah, they will. Brimstone/Hellfire was specifically designed for armoured vehicles. Anything like, for example, an oil refinery or a bunker dug deep into the ground is going to need a bigger warhead, which means Paveway.

So these Kurds (part of 'The 70,000) we're assisting, do they go back to being dangerous terrorists once IS are out of Syria/Iraq and they return to blowing and shooting up Turks?

The Kurds are in addition apoarently. Numbered at 20,000.

The FSA get all the kit from the US which then appears in Daesh propaganda videos.

Ad Lib IS a warmongerer.

Ad Lib will eventually retire that particular username and come back as Preda Tory.

He will then proceed to lose a deposit for the Scottish Conservative & Unionist Party.

Let's just hope he doesn't move further to the right after that humiliation, as appears his last foray has indeed made him a warmonger.

One of the statements made by Labour warmongers and their media sympathisers was that the it was wrong to have a whip on the vote as MPs had to 'vote with their conscience' and 'do what they thought was best for the people they represented'. I think some folk on here have repeated that.

I may be mistaken* but was their not a Labour whip on the 2013 vote? How come that the imposition of a whip was OK then but not now?

* I have tried to confirm that through a Google search but can't see anything definitive. Does anyone else know for certain?

Anyone seen what Tory MP Lucy Allan has been up to? She received an email from a constituent, and published it on Facebook, adding the words "unless you die" (essentially a death threat she made to herself) herself, in a bid to show how she's being targeted with vile, online death threats over Syria!

The guy who wrote the original message she doctored has went to the papers, and she's now claiming she pasted the "unless you die" comment from someone else's email (whom she won't name) for illustrative purposes.

Edited by Antlion

Anyone seen what Tory MP Lucy Allan has been up to? She received an email from a constituent, and published it on Facebook, adding the words "unless you die" (essentially a death threat she made to herself) herself, in a bid to show how she's being targeted with vile, online death threats over Syria!

The guy who wrote the original message she doctored has went to the papers, and she's now claiming she pasted the "unless you die" comment from someone else's email (whom she won't name) for illustrative purposes.

She sounds as though she's losing it.

One of the statements made by Labour warmongers and their media sympathisers was that the it was wrong to have a whip on the vote as MPs had to 'vote with their conscience' and 'do what they thought was best for the people they represented'. I think some folk on here have repeated that.

I may be mistaken* but was their not a Labour whip on the 2013 vote? How come that the imposition of a whip was OK then but not now?

* I have tried to confirm that through a Google search but can't see anything definitive. Does anyone else know for certain?

I've no idea about the 2013 Labour whip, but as far as I can tell, the 3 line was never invoked by SNP. If I'm wrong, I'm happy to stand corrected.