Bombing Syria

ICTJohnboy

Will Cameron get his way this time?

His argument that we're letting others do all the dirty work here just to keep Britain safe is, for me, seriously flawed. I'm not convinced that Isis will be wiped out just through bombing campaigns. There will be a need for ground forces too. Cameron should accept that we will just be part of a team here if we are to get involved. He seems very anxious to me to be seen as standing shoulder to shoulder with the US and thus becoming a major player. You don't need to have too long a memory to see where that has got us in the past.

Thoughts?

I'm in agreement.

What are UK bombs going to do that the French ones aren't?

Who/what are the targets?

What intelligence do we have to indicate the ISIS presence in the areas being bombed?

What precautions are taking place to ensure minimum civilian casualties?

It's basically Cameron wanting to join the dick waving competition

This article is decent on the Russia v Turkey angle

This extract in particualr stands out:

The hope now is that the downing of the Russian plane may help resolve this issue and finally introduce a proper exchange of information and intelligence between all sides. Especially as UK Prime Minister David Cameron's government is itching to join the coalition of the willing and send British planes to bomb ISIL in Syria and not just in Iraq, making the skies an even more crowded place. Why on earth Cameron wants to do that is anyone's guess.

Out of tragedy, something positive may emerge. A long shot, I know, but in this dangerous and confusing situation, that is the best we can hope for.

Cameron is too trigger happy not to get his own way. He's DESPERATE for big, bad, brave important Great Britain to get involved.

I reckon there are other pressures being brought to bear that we'll possibly never even know about. Whilst there is a strong element of jingoistic British warmongering in Toryism, I don't believe that Cameron is really the person who makes these decisions. He represents all kinds of vested interests (mainly financial).

The ability to appeal to those who retain a pseudo-colonialist, trigger-happy, Rule Britannia mindset is a happy coincidence to Cameron.

ETA: It's much the same deal with Trident. I don't believe for a second half of its parliamentary supporters believe it is a useful or effective deterrent, or that repeatedly calling it "our nuclear deterrent" proves its efficacy. Not all MPs are thick enough to actually think calling something a deterrent, pointing out we've not been nuked and claiming that's proof is in any way convincing. Again, there will be all kinds of vested financial and political interests that have these people supporting Trident and placating the braindead with claims that it deters the unidentified "other". (Remember the minor scandal about Mags Curran and others being invited to a great big banquet for arms dealers?). The fact that they also think it makes the UK "relevant" on the world stage is just gravy.

Edited by Antlion

With the French, Russians & US already bombing the shite out of the place, there's no need for us at all to get involved in direct air strikes ourselves. We're already providing support with drones for guidance purposes and use of RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus! That's plenty!

The innocent civilians of Syria don't stand a chance, IS to one side, Assad to the other, whilst the bombs rain down from above. Any wonder they are all so f*ckin desperate to leave!?

When the vote comes, hope parliament goes against.

Edited by RedRob72

Using Paris attacks to justify more slaughter. Why people voted No for this shower is beyond comprehension.

Watching PMQs is absolutely mortifying. To think 55% of the Scottish electorate willingly chose to vote for regional rather than national status to be governed by these braying, hooting, cackling, pantomime wankers.

With the French, Russians & US already bombing the shite out of the place, there's no need for us at all to get involved in direct air strikes ourselves. We're already providing support with drones for guidance purposes and use of RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus! That's plenty!

The innocent civilians of Syria don't stand a chance, IS to one side, Assad to the other, whilst the bombs rain down from above. Any wonder they are all so f*ckin desperate to leave!?

When the vote comes, hope parliament votes against.

Wow. I fully agree with you here.

You've changed.

Don't remember this being on the Ref agenda for either side.

I'd argue it was very much implicit: The UK has a long, loooong history of intervention, which alongside pointed remarks about 'punching above our weight' should certainly have given folk pause as to what the UK's natural impulse in these situations will always be. This, against the SNP led notion of what Scotland's armed forces would look like, adequate to the defence of the realm, useful as part of broad, Un led coaltions, but unlikely to be seen firing about the middle east simply to stroke the Prime minister's ego.

That would have been mosul the is de facto capital in iraq you are talking about,thankfully it looks like it was IS lies.

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/despite-invalidation-rumours-french-airstrike-mosul-school-persist-1489451401

I think this is the first time I've ever seen you post something relevant.

If we don't get involved now, we won't get much of a look in when it comes to rebuilding etc. There is no sane reason why we need to be actually dropping ordnance when both super powers and the French are doing so. If anything adding our aircraft to the most congested and dangerous piece of airspace on earth just puts our lads and lassies at unnecessary risk.

Sticking out union jack oar in just gives us a bit of room at the trough.

2 ISIS attacks in the last couple months. Both on countries that are currently bombing them. Cameron is a fud.

And the attacks in this country will no doubt come from home grown Isis sympathisers from places like Leeds and Bradford - just as we saw in the 7/7 bombings.

As if reigning more bombs on Syria will do anything to prevent these kind of attacks from within.

And the attacks in this country will no doubt come from home grown Isis sympathisers from places like Leeds and Bradford - just as we saw in the 7/7 bombings.

As if reigning more bombs on Syria will do anything to prevent these kind of attacks from within.

If you are suggesting that we bomb Leeds and Bradford, I can get behind that. We could hide it under the guise of urban re-generation as opposed to the normal collateral damage. :whistle

Edited by strichener