Fixtures for Saturday 26th December and Saturday 2nd January

shoemaker

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the league officials aren't going to give fixtures out for the festive period should they not force teams to play during the September weekend to cut down on the games near the end of the season

If the league officials aren't going to give fixtures out for the festive period should they not force teams to play during the September weekend to cut down on the games near the end of the season

1st round of the Scottish cup this year was on the September weekend

This is not amateur football or Sunday pub football. If players don't want to play at times when punters are willing to pay to watch them then they should drop down a grade or 2.

This level may not be amateur or Sunday pub football but I don't really see what the difference is between them! What really is the difference between juniors and amateur? I don't see why because I don't want to play on Boxing Day or the 2nd of January and some supporters want to watch then I should have to drop down a level, as you put it. Every player will have a difference of opinion on this as will supporters but for me we should not be playing on these dates.

This level may not be amateur or Sunday pub football but I don't really see what the difference is between them! What really is the difference between juniors and amateur? I don't see why because I don't want to play on Boxing Day or the 2nd of January and some supporters want to watch then I should have to drop down a level, as you put it. Every player will have a difference of opinion on this as will supporters but for me we should not be playing on these dates.

There is a massive difference. The top junior leagues should be playing. What's the difference? In the case of a number of clubs, a wage bill between £50k and £100k a season. That's plenty enough for teams to be asked to play.

I think the idea of playing on the 26th n 2nd is just wrong. Players n officials are due some family time as well. Can't be having Xmas day with their families n watching what they are drinking.

Is it wrong for the Highland and Lowland Leagues or the part time players in SPFL1 and SPFL2? They're all the same - boys who earn their main wage elsewhere but who nonetheless take money out of a game where people are asked to to get in. That's a business arrangement in my book and if clubs are likely to be able to make a few bob from a decent gate at this time of year then the players should be doing what they're paid to do. They can get pished on a different night.

There is a massive difference. The top junior leagues should be playing. What's the difference? In the case of a number of clubs, a wage bill between £50k and £100k a season. That's plenty enough for teams to be asked to play.

There are plenty of amateur teams out there that play their players and some are on considerably more than most junior players! I appreciate it may not be the same as the figures you're stating but nevertheless! What clubs pay their players is done to each individual club and not the sjfa so why should they make teams play? Are you only saying that yhe top divisions in each should play or all leagues??

There are plenty of amateur teams out there that play their players and some are on considerably more than most junior players! I appreciate it may not be the same as the figures you're stating but nevertheless! What clubs pay their players is done to each individual club and not the sjfa so why should they make teams play? Are you only saying that yhe top divisions in each should play or all leagues??

Earlier in the thread I think I suggested that the top divisions should be playing and that those further down should have the option. That kind of deals with a recognition that the Junior grade is very different if you're top flight as opposed to Central division 2.

Moreover, history tells us that top flight clubs will generally go deeper into cup competitions and need to play more games through the season. Guys signing up for decent wages or clubs playing at top flight level should be expecting to have to play on Saturdays through the season.

Is it wrong for the Highland and Lowland Leagues or the part time players in SPFL1 and SPFL2? They're all the same - boys who earn their main wage elsewhere but who nonetheless take money out of a game where people are asked to to get in. That's a business arrangement in my book and if clubs are likely to be able to make a few bob from a decent gate at this time of year then the players should be doing what they're paid to do. They can get pished on a different night.

Tbf, maybe SPFL1, SPFL2, HL & LL players are teetotallers, religious abstainers, or not very thirsty.

Earlier in the thread I think I suggested that the top divisions should be playing and that those further down should have the option. That kind of deals with a recognition that the Junior grade is very different if you're top flight as opposed to Central division 2.

Moreover, history tells us that top flight clubs will generally go deeper into cup competitions and need to play more games through the season. Guys signing up for decent wages or clubs playing at top flight level should be expecting to have to play on Saturdays through the season.

Well that's fair enough mate I can see your point I was just giving my opinion as a player albeit a lower division team! For me it's just the dates this year! If your taking about playing the 28th and 4th, if they fell on Saturday then I think it's a different scenario, well for me anyway!

Ridiculous even considering having junior games on Boxing Day. Guys are entitled to enjoy and have a drink on Christmas with their families.

Don't see much of an issue with playing on the 2ns though. Would be an interesting standard as a lot of boys would still be half cut

Ridiculous even considering having junior games on Boxing Day. Guys are entitled to enjoy and have a drink on Christmas with their families.

Don't see much of an issue with playing on the 2ns though. Would be an interesting standard as a lot of boys would still be half cut

Agree with that, Boxing Day should be left alone, but I can;t see any reason for not playing on 2nd (or even 3rd) of January, particularly clubs who may be a little behind in fixtures.

Would maybe get a few extra punters through the gates as well.

Archived