St Mirren Relegation Express. Championship Edition.

mrcat1990

5 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

IMO, the real benefit, for a club of the size of ours (and yours), to being in the top flight is having a squad that might do ok in the cups.

As far as relegation goes, I think the critical thing is being well-run, so that you can cope with the occasional drop, re-build in a sustainable way, and mount another challenge for promotion. We were not being run well, either side of our relegation, and it really showed with how we responded for that first 18 months.

These are the key points, I think - you need to be in the top league to have any chance of a major trophy, but a Championship winning season is great too. 

I've been supporting us properly since my granddad took me regularly in the 1974-75 season. In that time we've won 7 tangible things and hopefully an 8th tomorrow: Scottish Cup, League Cup, Anglo-Scottish Cup, Challenge Cup and 3 (nearly 4) Championship titles (or equivalent).  I've also seen us reach the giddy heights of 3rd in the top league and winning an away game in Europe.

That's not a bad return for a club of our size. There have been lots of downers over the years but, overall, I'll take it.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have won 3 First Division titles, had more than 15 years in the top flight, the Scottish cup, League cup and the diddy cup all in my life time (32 years).

There are fans of some Premiership clubs that dream of that success never mind Falkirk/Pars/Morton fans.

Aye Dundee spent 25 million on amazing players and achieved....a top 6 place. Same with Dunfermline under Calderwood.

3 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

We have won 3 First Division titles, had more than 15 years in the top flight, the Scottish cup, League cup and the diddy cup all in my life time (32 years).

There are fans of some Premiership clubs that dream of that success never mind Falkirk/Pars/Morton fans.

Not sure why you've chucked us in here. In the same period we've got 4 First Division titles, 3 Scottish Cup Final appearances and 4 diddy cups. Hardly a pittance. 

33 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Not sure why you've chucked us in here. In the same period we've got 4 First Division titles, 3 Scottish Cup Final appearances and 4 diddy cups. Hardly a pittance. 

You've had less than us and we're still there. 

The main difference is that St Mirren have won the league Cup in my lifetime, I don't particularly dream of that success but I wouldn't mind it. I don't particularly care for counting years spent in the Premiership as a great success, some of the least enjoyable times in my life have came in the Premiership, In my lifetime supporting the Pars I think the highest St Mirren have finished is tenth? Haud me back.  I wish Dunfermline had won a league cup but outwith that it's just a much of muchness. Livingston have won that aswell and I don't dream of their success either. 

I'd fucking love a Scottish Cup win though, that's the pinnacle of supporting a club of our stature IMO. 

I'm more jealous of St Johnstone, Ross County, Inverness, Motherwell, Dundee United and Kilmarnock. The c***s. 

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

The main difference is that St Mirren have won the league Cup in my lifetime, I don't particularly dream of that success but I wouldn't mind it. I don't particularly care for counting years spent in the Premiership as a great success, some of the least enjoyable times in my life have came in the Premiership, In my lifetime supporting the Pars I think the highest St Mirren have finished is tenth? Haud me back.  I wish Dunfermline had won a league cup but outwith that it's just a much of muchness. Livingston have won that aswell and I don't dream of their success either. 

I'd fucking love a Scottish Cup win though, that's the pinnacle of supporting a club of our stature IMO. 

I'm more jealous of St Johnstone, Ross County, Inverness, Motherwell, Dundee United and Kilmarnock. The c***s. 

I’ve seen us lift the Scottish cup in 87 and that was really special tbh.

We lost out in 4 Scottish cup semi finals in previous years during the 80’s and it was glorious to actually see us win it after so many disappointments. I never really bothered about the league cup until we won it 2013. When you win a semi-final against either side of the bigot sisters and go on to lift a national cup then it’s definitely something to savour. The final the occasion and the celebrations will live with me and my kids till I die. 

48 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Are you three years old then? :lol:

Basically what you're saying is you don't want to win trophies.

Makes perfect sense...:blink:

'mon Saints, I know it's better to win the title at home but just get stuck into this shower of billybigbaws tonight and enjoy your party.

3 hours ago, Soctty said:

1. Basically what you're saying is you don't want to win trophies.

2.Makes perfect sense...:blink:

1. Basically he isn't saying that at all.

2. Correct, your post doesn't. 

Stiil, enjoy your night -  you probably will.

4 hours ago, Soctty said:

Are you three years old then? :lol:

Basically what you're saying is you don't want to win trophies.

Makes perfect sense...:blink:

I do apologise, it turns out you've finished eighth, twice in my life. The point I'm making, and is still quite valid is that finishing towards the bottom end of the Premiership isn't actually very enjoyable. 

And no, I never said that, not even once. 

13 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I do apologise, it turns out you've finished eighth, twice in my life. The point I'm making, and is still quite valid is that finishing towards the bottom end of the Premiership isn't actually very enjoyable. 

And no, I never said that, not even once. 

Basically, you have, reading between the bitter lines...

On 03/09/2017 at 12:42, Dee Man said:

You guys are going to win the league this year - you have my word.

Thank you.

This guy is a man of his word. 

What an honourable fellow. 

• 1 month later...
On 09/04/2018 at 10:52, mrcat1990 said:

I'm happy to take my medicine on this one. The nature of our teams means we're both very up and down clubs so happy for Saints fans after their slight flirtation with double relegation to have their glory moment. Our last first division winning season was easily my happiest ever time following Thistle so glad you're all getting those experiences also.

Enjoy the championship champ :lol:

Enjoy the championship champ [emoji38]
Woo woo [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]
Oh hai Mark

It is what it is. I went to todays game more nervous than ever have been and hated every moment until the goal went in. Then, I let go. Anger, frustration and all that I let it go and resigned myself to the championship.

Going by the last two quotes posts and your last interaction in this thread with me I would suggest trying to find the same nirvana and let go. Enjoy the championship. Don't let my comments from several years back get under your skin. Hug your family. Smoke a bifta. Have a w**k. Happiness is fun.

Just now, mrcat1990 said:

Oh hai Mark

It is what it is. I went to todays game more nervous than ever have been and hated every moment until the goal went in. Then, I let go. Anger, frustration and all that I let it go and resigned myself to the championship.

Going by the last two quotes posts and your last interaction in this thread with me I would suggest trying to find the same nirvana and let go. Enjoy the championship. Don't let my comments from several years back get under your skin. Hug your family. Smoke a bifta. Have a w**k. Happiness is fun.

Doon ye go......glorious :lol:

Archived