St Mirren Relegation Express. Championship Edition.

mrcat1990

23 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

:lol: Even by the standards of this thread, it's been a bit of a mess over the past 48 hours.

I lurk over the weekends but can rarely be arsed to engage properly using a stupid touchscreen keyboard. It also gives me the opportunity to cool down slightly (Yes, that's right, the midweek version of me is the relatively rational one).

If you could ignore the whole massive threat to the club's existence aspect of relegation, I'd not actually be that fussed about going down. If all it meant was a load of pictures of Michael Portillo from witless Morton fans and a few seasons in the part-time league, I'd be pretty comfortable with that. Sadly, as we all know, most clubs like ours are run on a financial knife-edge and that's what makes me feel really sick: the threat of non-existence. :unsure:

Surely St. Mirren are enough of a household name in Scottish football to survive in one form or the other? Maybe as a phoenix club in the lower leagues at worst? To lose the club altogether would be a massive shame.

St. Mirren have never been lower than the second tier. The 11th place finish in the 19-team second division in 1974 (ranking them 29th in Scotland) equates to the third tier in the current league structure, but that was a one-off in your entire history.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Cruoninga said:

Surely St. Mirren are enough of a household name in Scottish football to survive in one form or the other? Maybe as a phoenix club in the lower leagues at worst? To lose the club altogether would be a massive shame.

Naturally I agree with the latter part, and hope you're right about the first bit (at the very least). I think fans would dig deep and we have enough of a fan base to ensure survival.

I don't think there's any imminent danger of this happening - the real risk is if we go down, stay full time, and don't come back at the first attempt. That's the point at which difficult decisions have to be made.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Naturally I agree with the latter part, and hope you're right about the first bit (at the very least). I think fans would dig deep and we have enough of a fan base to ensure survival.

I don't think there's any imminent danger of this happening - the real risk is if we go down, stay full time, and don't come back at the first attempt. That's the point at which difficult decisions have to be made.

Didn't Dunfermline stay FT for 3 seasons in league 1?

Similar sized support too 

21 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Yeah it's pretty easy to do when you've shafted all your creditors. I'd like to think that a decent club like St Mirren won't go down that road though.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Yeah it's pretty easy to do when you've shafted all your creditors. I'd like to think that a decent club like St Mirren won't go down that road though.

We certainly won't given we don't have any creditors....or at least not enough to shaft!

Reckon we'll stay F/T for another season in L1 and then if the shit continues to hit the fan, it's time to cut our cloth.

I also don't believe there is any real or valid threat to the club's existence if and when relegation does occur. I think (hope) the crowds have now bottomed out at the 2,800 average that they seem to be maintaining at (3,400 average but discounting the large away supports, it's approximately 600 less) which would make us comfortably the best supported club in L1 by a factor of 3. A successful L1 campaign would see those home crowds creep up over the course of the season, as is the norm. Probably even north of where they sit just now.

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Even easier when you sell the soul of your club to Tesco and get a shiny new stadium thrown in for free...

Have any clubs that, traditionally, hang around the top half of the League set up went part time after relegation? Morton, Queens, Dunfermline, Livingston, Partick all stayed full time did they not? I guess only Airdrie would be the exception and their circumstances were entirely different. They died. Like Rangers.

49 minutes ago, Astro said:

Even easier when you sell the soul of your club to Tesco and get a shiny new stadium thrown in for free...

Ok, I'll bite.

Naw, that deal took ages to come to fruition and required some really hard work by the Bod and supporters over a number of years.

It's much, much easier to f**k over suppliers and creditors and mess with people's lives and livelihoods.

1 hour ago, Astro said:

Nah it's easier when your chairman (or whatever Masterton was) draws up the wage budget based on an average attendance of 7000. A quick and easy step to guarantee screwing your clubs finances up. 

We didn't sell our soul we sold a crumbling wreck that was costing us a fortune to maintain. 

23 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

If only you could swap them for points :(

Bah gawd almighty, that man had a fam'ly! As God is mah witness he is broken in haif!

Bigger support, we also turned a profit in the last year.
Ok, I'll bite.
Naw, that deal took ages to come to fruition and required some really hard work by the Bod and supporters over a number of years.
It's much, much easier to f**k over suppliers and creditors and mess with people's lives and livelihoods.

Yes, it was definitely much, much easier to save the club from going to the wall through chronic mis management than it was for your fans to do?...

Fucking drama queen [emoji38]

Eh? That's not what we were talking about.

If it was easier to negotiate a no-strings-attached commercial property transaction that secures the long-term viability of your club, than it was to just f**k over your creditors, then you really should just have done that.

Eh? That's not what we were talking about.
If it was easier to negotiate a no-strings-attached commercial property transaction that secures the long-term viability of your club, than it was to just f**k over your creditors, then you really should just have done that.

This will utterly shock you, but we weren't exactly keen on the idea either.

As it was dealing with the fallout was a bit of a nightmare.

1 hour ago, tonnitus said:

Every single one of those goals is absolutely screaming relegation.

Boooooo :lol:

Holy f**k that is grim.

Every single one of those goals has at least 4 or 5 players not only failing to do their job properly, but actually doing it badly. Even if one of them was doing the right thing it would have stopped the goals. What's most worrying is the lack of surprise or any obvious concern or care from the players both before and after the goals. 

No doubt their heroic resurgence will come on Saturday.

1 hour ago, tonnitus said:

Every single one of those goals is absolutely screaming relegation.

Boooooo :lol:

4 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

Holy f**k that is grim.

Every single one of those goals has at least 4 or 5 players not only failing to do their job properly, but actually doing it badly. Even if one of them was doing the right thing it would have stopped the goals. What's most worrying is the lack of surprise or any obvious concern or care from the players both before and after the goals. 

No doubt their heroic resurgence will come on Saturday.

Yip. Three massive gifts.

I think the second was probably the worst of the lot to be honest.

It's got absolutely everything: starts with a clearance being deflected to an opponent, we win the ball back... then calmly pass it straight to an opponent... who takes a shot, which is saved and breaks to another opponent, who takes a shot which hits the post, and comes back to another opponent... who eventually thinks "These guys aren't going to let us away without scoring here", so he knocks it in.

I think those were pretty much Queens only 3 'attacks' in the game too :whistle

Archived