St Mirren Relegation Express. Championship Edition.

mrcat1990

The ball's burst for us now. I don't think the arithmetic matters a tiny jot at this stage: there's no way we can come back from a 3-0 shoeing at home to a former relegation rival.

We're seeing transfer targets fall through, we've signed a young midfielder from Aberdeen while QotS sign Rankin. I think you've got to assume at this point that any players worth bringing in won't fancy a relegation on their CV.

Easily my lowest point as a St Mirren fan.

^^^^ Sobbing uncontrollably, etc.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

We're seeing transfer targets fall through, we've signed a young midfielder from Aberdeen while QotS sign Rankin. I think you've got to assume at this point that any players worth bringing in won't fancy a relegation on their CV.

Aye, you really find yourself scrambling desperately for any old dud in these situations. Even if St. Mirren offered more than QoS did to Rankin (not saying they did, just for argument's sake), at 33 he's going to value the security of an 18-month deal at a lower wage more than 6 months with St. Mirren at a higher wage. St. Mirren aren't in a position to hand out contracts on competitive wages longer than six months, and that's just considering the financial side of it before taking into account that someone like Rankin will feel he's above League One and isn't willing to commit to a team likely to be playing at that level next season.

Obviously that doesn't mean it's impossible to get any players who'll improve the side, but it makes it so much harder. We saw this three years ago when Shiels attempted to overhaul the whole squad in January. You can't expect to find that many good players mid-season and we ended up with an even worse squad at the end of the window than we started with - we made 10 signings with 10 leaving over December & January and only Stuart Findlay and Rowan Vine were improvements on the players they replaced. No one was sad to see, for example, Stephen Stirling leaving, but replacing him with David Robertson only made us worse, similar to you lot being delighted to get rid of Kyle Hutton but then having to use David Clarkson in central midfield regularly.

A few signings to supplement what you have is better than dumping half the squad and starting again, but even that's difficult enough when solid, experienced players at this level like Rankin and Loy won't go near you and you're having to gamble on youngsters and players who are without a club for whatever reason in the middle of season.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

The ball's burst for us now. I don't think the arithmetic matters a tiny jot at this stage: there's no way we can come back from a 3-0 shoeing at home to a former relegation rival.

Easily my lowest point as a St Mirren fan.

^^^^ Sobbing uncontrollably, etc.

It was nice of Div and Norrie to step in and man the barricades for you over the weekend but it was a bit like when a supply teacher comes in and the class smells weakness. 

23 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

It was nice of Div and Norrie to step in and man the barricades for you over the weekend but it was a bit like when a supply teacher comes in and the class smells weakness. 

:lol: Even by the standards of this thread, it's been a bit of a mess over the past 48 hours.

I lurk over the weekends but can rarely be arsed to engage properly using a stupid touchscreen keyboard. It also gives me the opportunity to cool down slightly (Yes, that's right, the midweek version of me is the relatively rational one).

If you could ignore the whole massive threat to the club's existence aspect of relegation, I'd not actually be that fussed about going down. If all it meant was a load of pictures of Michael Portillo from witless Morton fans and a few seasons in the part-time league, I'd be pretty comfortable with that. Sadly, as we all know, most clubs like ours are run on a financial knife-edge and that's what makes me feel really sick: the threat of non-existence. :unsure:

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

:lol: Even by the standards of this thread, it's been a bit of a mess over the past 48 hours.

I lurk over the weekends but can rarely be arsed to engage properly using a stupid touchscreen keyboard. It also gives me the opportunity to cool down slightly (Yes, that's right, the midweek version of me is the relatively rational one).

If you could ignore the whole massive threat to the club's existence aspect of relegation, I'd not actually be that fussed about going down. If all it meant was a load of pictures of Michael Portillo from witless Morton fans and a few seasons in the part-time league, I'd be pretty comfortable with that. Sadly, as we all know, most clubs like ours are run on a financial knife-edge and that's what makes me feel really sick: the threat of non-existence. :unsure:

Pars were 10 points behind Ayr going in to the festive period last year and ended up 18 points ahead of them by the end of the season so it's far from over yet.

6 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Pars were 10 points behind Ayr going in to the festive period last year and ended up 18 points ahead of them by the end of the season so it's far from over yet.

Presumably you were showing some signs of wanting to put up a fight, though! I appreciate your encouraging words, but 3-0 at home to a team on a winless streak like that is completely abject.

26 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Presumably you were showing some signs of wanting to put up a fight, though! I appreciate your encouraging words, but 3-0 at home to a team on a winless streak like that is completely abject.

Having a wee Moroccan prince who scores 30 goals from open play would be a good starting point. 

On 07/01/2017 at 20:44, DA Baracus said:

I hate to be 'that guy', but currently League 1 isn't all that seasidey, with only East Fife, Peterhead and Stranraer being seaside like. It's more of a rural league.

Also Brechin and Peterhead don't have train stations (neither does Stenhousemuir technically but Larbert station is a 10 min walk from the ground).

You say you hate to be that guy but you've mentioned it on at least two threads. 

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

We were poor on Saturday but anyone who was there, including The Doonhamers, will tell you there wasn't much between the teams in terms of performance. It was a dire game of football between two poor sides.

Saints chased the game in the latter stages and went 3 at the back and got caught on the counter.  That's the gamble. Losing 1-0 or 3-0 makes very little difference in our situation.

We smashed one off the crossbar at 0-1. That goes in it's a different game. Thems the breaks and we ain't getting many right now.

You are right though, the lack of fight was concerning. There wasn't much there on Saturday to say we have what it takes to dig ourselves out of this, whereas two weeks previously at Tannadice, even though we lost, I thought we played well enough to merit hope.

Saturday was an extension of the performance against Morton.

Exactly as above. You have a decent manager and decent squad. When I watched you guys at Falkirk you were a decent side and I rightly predicted you'd pick up your first win against qos that midweek. I think it might be as much about how Ayr do as yourselves. Qos have invested well and dunfermline are on a run. Dumbarton are stuffy and always pick up unexpected points.

11 minutes ago, Div said:

We were poor on Saturday but anyone who was there, including The Doonhamers, will tell you there wasn't much between the teams in terms of performance. It was a dire game of football between two poor sides.

Saints chased the game in the latter stages and went 3 at the back and got caught on the counter.  That's the gamble. Losing 1-0 or 3-0 makes very little difference in our situation.

We smashed one off the crossbar at 0-1. That goes in it's a different game. Thems the breaks and we ain't getting many right now.

You are right though, the lack of fight was concerning. There wasn't much there on Saturday to say we have what it takes to dig ourselves out of this, whereas two weeks previously at Tannadice, even though we lost, I thought we played well enough to merit hope.

Saturday was an extension of the performance against Morton.

Capture.PNG

20 hours ago, Cowshed118 said:
20 hours ago, Cowshed118 said:

Try sending them a tweet if you use twitter they sometimes come back with a price and a link to place the bet

19 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Aye m8. Just tweet them. 

Thanks chaps.

They came back saying "around 4-1" for Saints to still be in the Championship next season. Less than I'd thought.

Not sure whether to lump on now or wait for our inevitable defeat on Saturday :P!

BTW, on Saturday I had my usual compensation bet on (ie, Saints to lose).

When Queen's second went in I cashed out, in the forlorn hope we'd come back and equalise and I'd still get some cash!

I was more than a tad surprised to find out that I got MORE cashing out early than I would if I'd just waited end collected.

This was on SkyBet - looks like they're doing a cash out bonus promotion at the moment.  And someone's obviously not thought it fully through if you're cashing out at close to the complete win value!

Archived