St Mirren Relegation Express. Championship Edition.

mrcat1990

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hearing rumours of Barry Ferguson as manager. I think most fans would be happy with this, on the basis that most fans aren't St Mirren fans.

I, for one, would welcome this.

One more reason to dislike St. Mirren.

One more reason to like the great Clyde.

Actually, two. Boab will come along too, don't forget Boab.

I remember when Shankland signed he said he spoke to a few clubs before signing with the midden. Wonder if he now believes he made the right choice?

Now he's in a relegation scrap and the fans baying for blood as the boo's ring out. Wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to return to Aberdeen in January.

Hope Shankland does return to the Dons in January as he has been a waste of space for us. Lethergic, slow, cannot head a ball nor tackle. Maybe there is a decent player in there but he done himself no favours with us.

I remember when Shankland signed he said he spoke to a few clubs before signing with the midden. Wonder if he now believes he made the right choice?

Now he's in a relegation scrap and the fans baying for blood as the boo's ring out. Wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to return to Aberdeen in January.

Yeah, he probably regrets it - mind, it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few fans who'd happily drive him back themselves.

That's not Shankland's fault, though - as people have pointed out, he seemed sharp and confident when he arrived. So we didn't play him, and now he looks sluggish and lacks confidence.

When he has been played, he's been pitched in alongside Gallagher and expected to form an instant understanding. They should have been our strikeforce from day one and they might actually be reading each other by now.

I still don't fully believe we'll go down, but I didn't last season, either - certainly not at this stage of the season. Obviously the appointment is critical. However, given that our board seems to have quite massively lost the plot on that front, I'm not optimistic.

We need a clearout. Without being in the dressing room, it's hard to know who the negative influences are, but it's not difficult to imagine.

Thommo was finished last season: surprisingly, he's no less finished this season. I still think Goodwin can do a job, but I'd be fascinated to know if he and Thommo actually hate each other. Something has to be wrong there.

Finally, we currently remind me of Coventry when they were plummeting. I was at the press conference when Peter Reid quit the job. In really vague terms, he just admitted he didn't have what it took to do the job. Reading between the lines, the club was such a basket case at every level, it was difficult to see an easy fix.

We are currently a basket case in much the same way, and it's clearly not just an issue of switching manager, or just clearing out the deadwood from the playing staff, or finding new owners. In an ideal world, all those things need to happen.

A new manager could still make some tweaks and keep us up, but we all know it'll be papering over the cracks.

Don't players often say that? I spoke with loads of clubs but this is where I always wanted to come etc.... Probably will depend on who we get in as to how happy players will be.

Alex Rae actually done a half decent job for us. He didn't have any budget at all to spend (Davie Farrell, his assistant at the time, goes into a bit of detail about it in his blog) and he done okay at bringing in players and developing some of our younger players that had made their debuts the previous season (Dixon, Robertson, Kevin Mcdonald etc) and made some decent signings for us like Curier and Gary Mckenzie. We finished 3rd in his first season with a total patchwork team on a shoestring and the following season he was unlucky to lose out to an excellent Hamilton side with Mcarthur, McCarthy, Easton etc. His teams were decent enough to watch too - played with a bit of width and liked to attack. His last few months in charge were poor as he struggled to replace the core of our team which had basically been ripped out - Mckenzie, Lyle, Mcdonald, Robertson and Dixon all moved on after Accies won the league. I always had the impression he was a wee alcky, rangers-loving ned but I met him a few times when he was our manager and he was actually always a really decent guy.

The assertion that he would be worse than Tommy Craig is a total load of shite. I believe you could do a lot worse.

The Dundee squad when Rae was there was pretty decent.

He probably is a better manager than Craig though.

He brought in the majority of the players himself although the better ones were already there in McDonald and Robertson. The main gripe I had with him was he signed a few from the Rangers youth team(shock) but he did get in an impressive Gary McKenzie but then again he signed Bob Davidson as well.

Rae was more of a pain when he was player manager instead of just being the manager himself. He used to wind up the majority of home supports when we were away from home. I'm pretty sure he scored against Thistle then cupped his ear to the main stand and was sent off for it.

Archived