We Need To Talk About Buzzfeed

yoda

There's a lot of awful things on the internet, be it videos of horrific ISIS executions, pictures of cats, the use of .gifs by certain posters on here, the Guardian's "Comment is Free" section, or YouTube vloggers.

However, nothing - absolutely nothing - is as fucking awful as Buzzfeed. Not a day goes by without someone retweeting a dreadful twee article about "63 Times The Girls Of Tumblr Were On Point" onto my Twitter timeline, or someone else shares "34 Reasons Why Gilmore Girls Should Have Been Set In Scotland".

Case in point, this moment of peak Buzzfeed: The Story Of Egypt's Revolution In "Jurassic Park" Gifs

Quite how Buzzfeed has become such a phenomenon, I'm not sure. Take a look at their front page and it's just folk taking tweets and reposting them. Or lists. Endless lists. Or quizzes about how we know what your spirit animal is. And Harry Potter references. So many Harry Potter references.

Please, people of P&B, share your hatred of Buzzfeed here. Be it that Scottish woman's crusade to make as many lists about "18 Reasons You Should Move To Scotland Right Now" or Jamie Ross and his now outdated references to "Alex Salmond Solero". Or maybe this. Or maybe that. On the other hand, maybe you are a regular reader of Buzzfeed and enjoy their fresh content. Maybe their list of "life hacks" have helped you become a better person? Maybe you think, "Hey Yoda, shut up, I like the 'feed". Well you can join in as well, try and help me understand what I'm not quite getting (preferably in list form and with at least two references to times when Beyonce was fierce).

c***s*.

*Buzzfeed, not you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's their insistence that they're a serious, serious news outlet that really gets the seethe flowing. No you're fucking not.

I also associate them with the disgisting rise of the use of the word 'piece' instead of the classic 'article'.

It's their insistence that they're a serious, serious news outlet that really gets the seethe flowing. No you're fucking not.

I also associate them with the disgisting rise of the use of the word 'piece' instead of the classic 'article'.

A piece is what I have for lunch, not something I read. I agree with you, it's time to get that chat in the bin right away

Dreadful website. Jamie Ross, the politics editor, is a thin-lipped little shit and I wish nothing but the worst for him.

They're also diluting Twitter by handing out verified Twitter accounts to all and sundry. Horrible organisation, horrible people.

Jamie Ross is the best thing about Buzzfeed.

I use it if I'm trying to waste time over a cuppa at work and there's the odd decent article that makes me laugh. However, for everything I read there's probably about 20 shite articles I scroll past or give up reading after five seconds.

Sadly, it gets hits and has led to other media companies trying to copy it with lists etc in a bid to attract readers, even if they're reading shite. The company I work for launched a blatant rip-off of it a few years ago and it was chronically bad. They eventually called it quits a few months back and pulled the plug.

If you don't like Buzzfeed, you might like this http://www.clickhole.com/

It's the articles that are based on Scotland/ Edinburgh that I do not relate with in anyway whatsoever. That and their weird deification of random female celebrities and average TV shows.

The only non Daily Mail website that tops it for stupid articles and terrible writing is Bleacher Report.

Archived