Wick v Linlithgow

FuzzyBear

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If wick win the match is it likely a game in wick in January would be postponed due to weather ?

No reason to assume so, it appears. Wick only suffered 3 postponements throughout all of last season, and only 1 this season prior to this tie.

Archive - Inverness Thistle v Falkirk postponed 29 times

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/33721057

All-time record is Airdrieonians v Stranraer, off 33 times in 1962-63.

However in those days reattempts went every day of the week (except Sunday) after the first couple of tries.

What do you suggest? Keep cancelling Saturday games until it can be played?

Yes. I'd expect exactly that. Plenty time to catch back league fixtures midweek. I'd also add in scheduling every Sunday.

#unrivalledlol

sure the inverness v falkirk record for postponements came about,as they counted every day of the week.

That's correct. In those days you had to try every day of the week (except Sundays) after a couple of postponements. In reality, I'm sure the pitch was known to be snowbound for certain spells of the period, with the daily inspection a formality and neither club preparing for nor expecting play.

Airdrieonians-Stranraer was first attempted Sat 12th Jan 1963 but finally played Mon 11th Mar 1963 i.e. 58 days later, at the 34th attempt.

St Johnstone-Stenhousemuir wasn't much different, finally played previous Thu 7th Mar 1963.

Inverness Thistle-Falkirk was Sat 13th Jan 1979 and Thu 22nd Feb 1979 respectively i.e. 40 days later, at the 30th attempt.

I remember back in 1978 we had a replay with Partick Thistle postponed umpteen times as well like the Inverness game it was inspected daily from what I can remember the pitch was cleared only for the snow to start again! Really bad winters back then.

1946-47, 1962-63 and 1978-79 are the bad winters in Scottish & British football history. First coincided with a fuel crisis and a ban on midweek football (owing to lost productivity) in the aftermath of WWII.

There was also a bad cold snap in Jan-Feb 1940, during the 'Phoney War' period: across Great Britain only the game at Plymouth made it on Feb 3rd, and the previous week only the games at Bournemouth, Portsmouth, Plymouth, Clapton, Swansea and Aberdeen, presumably due to their proximity to the sea.

Since it went all-in in 2007-08 it's Lochee-Ayr (2008-09 R3)... off 5 times, took 18 days.

Sat 29 Nov ... P-P

Sat 06 Dec ... P-P

Mon 08 Dec ... P-P

Wed 10 Dec ... P-P

Mon 15 Dec ... P-P

Wed 17 Dec ... played*

*finished in a draw - replayed went ahead at first time of asking on Tue 23 Dec

Alternatively it's Inverurie-Motherwell (2008-09 R4)... off 4 times, took 23 days.

Sat 10 Jan ... P-P

Tue 20 Jan ... P-P

Mon 26 Jan ... P-P

Wed 28 Jan ... P-P

Mon 02 Feb ... played

If you're including replays then Stenhousemuir 2-2 Threave Rovers was played on 2010-11's R3 day, Sat 20th Nov... however the replay didn't go ahead until Wed 12th Jan after suffering 15 postponements :lol:. Went past R4, completed 53 days after 2-2.

Sat 27 Nov ... P-P

Mon 29 Nov ... P-P

Wed 01 Dec ... P-P

Mon 06 Dec ... P-P

Wed 08 Dec ... P-P

Mon 13 Dec ... P-P

Wed 15 Dec ... P-P

Mon 20 Dec ... P-P

Wed 22 Dec ... P-P

Mon 27 Dec ... P-P

Wed 29 Dec ... P-P

Mon 03 Jan ... P-P

Wed 05 Jan ... P-P

Sat 08 Jan ... P-P (this was R4 day)

Mon 10 Jan ... P-P

Wed 12 Jan ... played

Also 2010-11.

Drew 2-2 on Sat 20th Nov, replay completed Tue 4th Jan.

However, it seems to have attempted just once per midweek? Possibly they officially tried Tue-Wed but one inspection covered both.

Sat 27 Nov ... P-P

Tue 30 Nov ... P-P

Tue 07 Dec ... P-P

Tue 14 Dec ... P-P

Tue 21 Dec ... P-P

Tue 28 Dec ... P-P

Tue 04 Jan ... played

Wick's postponements seem to be just above average for the Highland League. Formartine are much better now since putting new drainage in a year or so ago.

P.S. Nicked from Fitbanorth.

Average of 4.5 postponements per season, nothing to be ashamed of in that, and some of those would be for snow / freezing.

Archived