The Worst Championship Team of All Time?

That Morton team somehow got worse when they brought Kenny Shiels in. Making an already atrocious team filled with has beens and Jobbers like Nacho Novo and Kabba Cham and try making them play possession football with hilarious results.

I remember Shiels threatening to sub the keeper because he keep playing it long. We almost won that game playing with 9 men for about 40 minutes.

I remember we were playing Morton that year and shiels from his technical area shouted the best tactical advice I have ever heard at the top of his voice

"kick the ball!" about three times throughout the match

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All things taken into consideration, I reckon Morton's team of 2013-14 are the worst second-tier side of the last 20-odd years. They were an absolute gang, and the way the season finished with the 10-2 loss to Hamilton Academical was a disgrace. Chuck in boys like Kenny Shiels, Garry O'Connor and Rowan Vine (not to mention Dougie Rae's comments at the end of the season) and it was a complete catastrophe.

I think you could call it the biggest debacle in that time, but considering the Clydebank team that went down in the late 90s or even the Stirling team from about 5 years ago, I don't think it was the worst. It was such a peculiar season - Shiels' team had changed so much from Moore's, I think the question is probably which Morton team was the worst that season.

What made it the strangest of all was that we looked as good as any team in the league against Dundee and Falkirk, then we lost 10 to Hamilton. For whatever reason there were players who chucked that match.

The Dumbarton team of 95/96 and Clydebank team of 99/00 also suffered eight goal drubbings, at Tannadice and Love Street respectively. There are a couple of factors that would tip it "in favour" of that Morton team however- double figures jumps out at you, that fact that the 10-2 game came on the last day of the season and was an appropriate end to a season of utter misery makes it more memorable, it's more recent, hence fresher in the memory, happened to a club who had much greater ambitions earlier in the season and, on this forum at least, to a club who's fans are pretty unpopular, adding to the lols for our peers.

Morton's points total was however significantly higher than both Clydebank and Dumbarton's and we can also claim the Celtic scalp from that same season in our favour, whilst Dumbarton beat eventual title challengers Morton and Dundee United in 95/96. Clydebank on the other hand finished with the lowest points total out of the three, and also managed to lose to East Stirling in front what might be the lowest crowd in Scottish football history in the League Cup.

I'd go with the Clydebank team- which doesn't excuse our "efforts" of two years ago in any way whatsoever.

Ok I'll be the daft one to bring them to the thread.

The worst team ever to grace the Championship was surely the team that was promoted there at the start of last season. They had almost ten times the resources of the rest of the league. They were supposed to have the best players. They had the highest paid players. They had the highest crowds in the history of the Championship. I wont mention their name but here's a little clue.

They are still in the league.

The worst team ever to grace the Championship was surely the team that was promoted there at the start of last season. They had almost ten times the resources of the rest of the league. They were supposed to have the best players. They had the highest paid players. They had the highest crowds in the history of the Championship. I wont mention their name but here's a little clue.

All joking apart, that's a very good shout.

It's hard to argue with the logic.

In absolute terms, there have obviously been many, many worse teams - the vast majority in fact.

Pound for pound though, the outfit you refer to must be the worst ever. They didn't even make the top two places.

I agree with this and they haven't run away with it just yet this season either

The Dumbarton team of 95/96 and Clydebank team of 99/00 also suffered eight goal drubbings, at Tannadice and Love Street respectively. There are a couple of factors that would tip it "in favour" of that Morton team however- double figures jumps out at you, that fact that the 10-2 game came on the last day of the season and was an appropriate end to a season of utter misery makes it more memorable, it's more recent, hence fresher in the memory, happened to a club who had much greater ambitions earlier in the season and, on this forum at least, to a club who's fans are pretty unpopular, adding to the lols for our peers.

Morton's points total was however significantly higher than both Clydebank and Dumbarton's and we can also claim the Celtic scalp from that same season in our favour, whilst Dumbarton beat eventual title challengers Morton and Dundee United in 95/96. Clydebank on the other hand finished with the lowest points total out of the three, and also managed to lose to East Stirling in front what might be the lowest crowd in Scottish football history in the League Cup.

I'd go with the Clydebank team- which doesn't excuse our "efforts" of two years ago in any way whatsoever.

We failed to score in 26 games that season - including cup ties

We only scored 17 League goals and conceded 82

Our top scorers that season were Ian Cameron and Lee Gardner who both scored 5 each

Absolutely horrendous season but the guys that did play tried their best - the fact that we were able to put a team out at all at some points during that season was a miracle in itself.

In the 20 games we played after Christmas that season we scored 7 goals - one of them was an OG!!

But through such trying times characters are tested and loyalties challenged - many guys had chucked supporting the club by then but those of us who stuck by them can look back and say that we were there.

We may have dropped out the leagues but are now run by a group of guys who were there watching us at that time and who have the clubs interests at heart.

Our top scorers that season were Ian Cameron and Lee Gardner who both scored 5 each

Absolutely horrendous season but the guys that did play tried their best - the fact that we were able to put a team out at all at some points during that season was a miracle in itself.

In the 20 games we played after Christmas that season we scored 7 goals - one of them was an OG!!

But through such trying times characters are tested and loyalties challenged - many guys had chucked supporting the club by then but those of us who stuck by them can look back and say that we were there.

We may have dropped out the leagues but are now run by a group of guys who were there watching us at that time and who have the clubs interests at heart.

Don't really know where your final points are leading though- are you disputing the argument that that Clydebank team were the worst team at this level in the last 20 odd years, or just giving yourself a pat on the back because you supported your club through tough times, like many of the rest of us have?

Just checked and after 15 games Morton were on 9 points two years ago. I think a fairer comparison may be after 18 games though as we still have Dumbarton and livi to play.

After 18 games Morton were still on 9. This would mean alloa picking up 4 in the next 3 games (Dumbarton, Livingston and St Mirren)

Aye, but have you beat Celtic at their own midden on a cold rainy night in September?

Don't really know where your final points are leading though- are you disputing the argument that that Clydebank team were the worst team at this level in the last 20 odd years, or just giving yourself a pat on the back because you supported your club through tough times, like many of the rest of us have?

Not trying to get a pat on the back at all Toby - we may have been the worst team at this level for 20 odd years but there were extenuating circumstances behind that.

and as for supporting your club through tough times - no offence mate but there is a big

difference between being pish on the park and the circus that we went through at that time

Not trying to get a pat on the back at all Toby - we may have been the worst team at this level for 20 odd years but there were extenuating circumstances behind that.

and as for supporting your club through tough times - no offence mate but there is a big

difference between being pish on the park and the circus that we went through at that time

I know- Clydebank's suffering coincided with the Hugh Scott era at Morton.

I think you'll find that your club is alive and well in League 1.

No, that's no more true of them than it is of TheRangers in the Championship.

Yes it is- the shell of Clydebank were bought over before they could be liquidated, then renamed and moved to Airdrie, taking their league membership. Rangers on the other hand died. Clydebank technically just moved and rebranded.

Perhaps we should create a 'Championship worst ever Xi Dreamteam'.

We've not been here very long, (and neither have I compared to some of the posters on here) nonetheless I'd like to nominate Kenny Shiels and Calude Anelka for the co-manager roles. Kabba Modou Cham (Morton) and Bilel Mohsni (Rangers) shall act as the spine of said team - unless someone can suggest someone worse.

McNeil

Perry Khalis Mohsni Fitzpatrick

Peralta Black ?

Brighton Cham O'Connor

Subs: T.Morgan

Mobile strikeforce that

Perhaps we should create a 'Championship worst ever Xi Dreamteam'.

We've not been here very long, (and neither have I compared to some of the posters on here) nonetheless I'd like to nominate Kenny Shiels and Calude Anelka for the co-manager roles. Kabba Modou Cham (Morton) and Bilel Mohsni (Rangers) shall act as the spine of said team - unless someone can suggest someone worse.

Add Gary O'Connor and Mark Fitzpatrick to the team.

Archived