The Worst Championship Team of All Time?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burton obrien.

Good shout. He was substituted by Alloa yesterday and I don't think he touched the ball. Incredible how long he's been around at this level despite contributing nothing.

Jimmy Scott scored from halfway almost on touch line, best goal I've ever seen live - sure someone can dig it out

You weren't at the game where Prunty scored his goal against Livi then?

Scott's was good, very good. Prunty's was world class.

Cowdenbeath under Andy Harrow (92-93), Dumbarton under Jim Fallon (95-6) and East Fife under Jimmy Bone (96/7) were easily the three worst sides to have played at this level in the last thirty years.

If pushed to name a definite worst then I'd go with Jim Fallon's Dumbarton "side". East Fife run them pretty close though.

Good shout. He was substituted by Alloa yesterday and I don't think he touched the ball. Incredible how long he's been around at this level despite contributing nothing.

You weren't at the game where Prunty scored his goal against Livi then?

Scott's was good, very good. Prunty's was world class.

If prunty can bang one in with his bad foot from the halfway line I'll give him it!!!

After Alloa's humiliating defeat again tonight, will this be a sign of things to come for the rest of the season and put them in the same categories as the teams we've mentioned from the past?

They play teams around them like Livi and St Mirren (Lol) and an out of form Raith Rovers next so there is potential to get points along with a possible new manager boost, decent january signings and playing teams with nothing to play for later on could save them from being historically bad.

Here is some benchmarks of the worst figures since 1994 and a comparison with Alloa after 16 games.

Points Per game Clydebank 99/00 - 0.28 (10), Alloa is 0.31 (5)

In terms of goals per game Clydebank had 0.47 goals per game in 99/00 (17), Alloa is at 0.44 (7)

Goals conceded per game set by Dumbarton in 95/96 at 2.61 (94) , Alloa is 2.25 (36)

Ok I'll be the daft one to bring them to the thread.

The worst team ever to grace the Championship was surely the team that was promoted there at the start of last season. They had almost ten times the resources of the rest of the league. They were supposed to have the best players. They had the highest paid players. They had the highest crowds in the history of the Championship. I wont mention their name but here's a little clue.

They are still in the league.

In their defence, they were facing the finest team ever to grace the second tier (and "the best footballing side" in the country.....apparently)

• 2 weeks later...

Ffs.... all. when daz took over from Anelka he quizzed one of the midfielders over his footballing qualifications and he admitted that he had only played seven a side before and said he was a plumber...ended up fixing the drain system on the old grandstand for total pishness and stunning inadequacy Anelkas team was the greatest ever. You could not wrote a believable book.....

Archived