televised games saturday 3 pm

They do it in Germany on Sky Deutschland where they simulcast all the 3-30 kick-offs and switch between matches if anything happens. It's decent, I watched it last week, it's not so bad, but you need to be listening carefully to what's going on. BBC Final Score used this model for the Sunday Games of the FA Cup First Round a few weeks ago, I found it quite entertaining. Especially with Yeovil holding on for dear life with nine men.

I watch this regularly, it's a great service but can get a bit annoying when you are watching a game and they switch elsewhere because someone has a 40 yard free kick that they are about to put out the stadium, while it appeared the team you were watching were hitting on the break.

If we* did something like BTs UCL Goal Show, where they show the goals & major incidents just after they happen (which qualifies it as not being live and therefore permissible under UEFA rules)

It's not permissible. If it were, Sky would show English Football League goals and incidents as they happen, like they do with midweek games. The exact text of UEFA's Article 48 is:

1. UEFA and the member associations shall have the exclusive rights to broadcast and use, as well as to authorise their broadcast or use by picture, sound or other data carriers of any kind (including data carriers that have yet to be developed), matches which come within their jurisdiction, either live or recorded, in whole or as excerpts.

It's not permissible. If it were, Sky would show English Football League goals and incidents as they happen, like they do with midweek games. The exact text of UEFA's Article 48 is:

Looks like you're right.

Looking at the actual article the 4 home nations, Austria & Montenegro are only nations that still use this rule. I guess because our league, Wales & NI are so shit scared of the EPL we have kept it in place. Presumably the English also have it because of the whole United Kingdom thing as a sop to the diddy nations fitba.

I'm guessing this is why England & Scotland to a lesser degree have never gone down the path of televising every top league game live like they do in most other countries

Austria doesn't use their block during their Bundesliga games, presumably it's to protect their lower leagues? And Montenegro have it on specific occasions only....

How terribly British...

Anyone got a link to what the blackout regulations are? Does it cover everything eg a Spanish game couldn't be shown anywhere in UK at 3 pm on a Saturday.

On the wider principle if arbroath can't get people along because of hearts Aberdeen is on the telly that's tough shit. If you wouldn't go to watch the club you support because Celtic are on the TV then the rest of Scottish football don't owe the club a living.Clubs need to market themselves and attractive customers on their own merits.

Besides, as I said before with the soccer Saturday coupon crew and the ease with each EPL and Scottish games can be streamed the reality is these people can choose to do other things with their time. Why not monetize it?

The issue would be how easy it would be to get round a blackout.I reckon it would be worth a season long trial in any case.

This wouldn't be "monetising" anything. Nobody would be showing any extra games - Sky and BT would just broadcast the same games that are already being shown, but have more of them at 3pm.

I wasn't aware of them doing it recently - they were doing it a season or two ago, but were stopped due to it appearing outside Wales.

However, they have left some gaps in their domestic BBH, i.e. early August, September 19th, and April 30th:

http://www.uefa.com/news/newsid=19817.html

Northern Ireland have left New Year and, for some reason, February 13th.

EDIT: Ah, that's the Irish League Cup Final which is on TV.

I was at a meeting with Sky about 18mths ago with my work and they said they had no intention of breaking the blackout in the near future and the reason was to protect lower league football. As much as they are to blame for football being as money centric as it currently is and appear to not give a damn about fans, they do seem principled on this issue.

In Scotland, I just can't see any benefit of allowing 3pm Saturday games to be broadcast, it would just encourage more people to watch on tv rather than attend.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at a meeting with Sky about 18mths ago with my work and they said they had no intention of breaking the blackout in the near future and the reason was to protect lower league football. As much as they are to blame for football being as money centric as it currently is and appear to not give a damn about fans, they do seem principled on this issue.

Am I missing something here? It's the football authorities who impose the blackout, not Sky.

Aye. But like i said if they wanted it badly enough it would happen. The english league would have their palms crossed with silver whilst the spfl would accept whatever pittance in a take it or leave it deal

Im not convinced the SPFL would even get the option of take it or leave it.

More just a case of 'here you go'.

Followed by Doncaster telling us all what a great deal he negotiated and telling us he's a top guy.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived