televised games saturday 3 pm

Haven't seen a thread about this before, maybe I have missed it.

Is it time we just bit the bullet and allowed televised games at 3 pm on a Saturday. Would the reduction in crowds be any worse than the pish on a Sunday lunch time?

People can stream live games on a Saturday anyway. Also one of the arguments for shitty summer football is increased exposure for the game. Well, we would have that if we had a live premier league game on at 3 pm on a Saturday on Sky. Alternatively, they could show the goals as they happen NFL red zone style on soccer Saturday.

They do it in Germany on Sky Deutschland where they simulcast all the 3-30 kick-offs and switch between matches if anything happens. It's decent, I watched it last week, it's not so bad, but you need to be listening carefully to what's going on. BBC Final Score used this model for the Sunday Games of the FA Cup First Round a few weeks ago, I found it quite entertaining. Especially with Yeovil holding on for dear life with nine men.

Televising games at 3pm could impact on every single game around the country, not just the game which is on TV. There might be a lot of folk deciding to stay in the pub or at home watching Aberdeen v Celtic or Hibs v Rangers, rather than going along to watch their own team.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't ever do it, but it's a major consideration that clubs would have to make.

I would not like to see it. Hard enough going down Gayfield as it is when you're utterly shite and its heading into December, a big game on the TV at 3, wouldn't affect me personally but I think it would have an impact on quite a lot of people.

No thanks.

Anyone got a link to what the blackout regulations are? Does it cover everything eg a Spanish game couldn't be shown anywhere in UK at 3 pm on a Saturday.

On the wider principle if arbroath can't get people along because of hearts Aberdeen is on the telly that's tough shit. If you wouldn't go to watch the club you support because Celtic are on the TV then the rest of Scottish football don't owe the club a living.Clubs need to market themselves and attractive customers on their own merits.

Besides, as I said before with the soccer Saturday coupon crew and the ease with each EPL and Scottish games can be streamed the reality is these people can choose to do other things with their time. Why not monetize it?

The issue would be how easy it would be to get round a blackout.I reckon it would be worth a season long trial in any case.

Who's realistically going to watch any 3pm Scottish games outside of Scotland anyway? It seems like a total waste of time, the Scottish fans that do go to games will miss seeing Scottish football on TV, the English fans aren't exactly going to watch it the only games they care about is the OF, the vast majority of football fans in the UK will more than likely be at a 3pm game anyway.

I think it's an awful idea.

Even if the SFA chose not to have a blackout, live Saturday 3pm games could only be shown in Scotland because England and Wales also have blackouts in force.

We should have a blackout of English games in in Scotland or at least negotiated some sort of deal that means for every English game broadcast in Scotland we get equal coverage of a Scottish game

It will never happen sadly, we've allowed English football a monopoly over the UK (with the assistance of the BBC)

UEFA allow each association to define 2-2.5hrs per week when games usually kick off - so for us and England it's 3pm-5.15pm; for Wales it's 2.30pm-4.45pm. So the idea above is a complete non-starter (putting aside the pettiness of it).

The blackout stops any football being shown in that territory. If it's broken, it's the association in which the match is being played that's held responsible - e.g. if a Spanish match is shown in Scotland, the Spanish FA are liable to UEFA punishment if the SFA complain (even if it's a UK broadcaster showing it).

Who's realistically going to watch any 3pm Scottish games outside of Scotland anyway? It seems like a total waste of time, the Scottish fans that do go to games will miss seeing Scottish football on TV, the English fans aren't exactly going to watch it the only games they care about is the OF, the vast majority of football fans in the UK will more than likely be at a 3pm game anyway.

I think it's an awful idea.

If you think the vast majority of people with an interest in football are at a game Saturday 3 pm you are an idiot.

The legalities would appear to make it a non starter so fine, but the if it's good enough for the most successful sporting league in the world there is maybe something we could learn from it.

its not about the game thats on telly as that is likely to be a popular one anway, its more that people will choose to stay in and watch a live game from england/spain/glasgow rather than go to a local game. as someone already said the soccer saturday coupon crew are a real thing these days, most people like that i know dont have much interest in football itself, just whatever narrative sky are running with at the time, the EPL on sky is as much a soap opra as eastenders. i cant see showing games at 3 making our situation any better

We should have a blackout of English games in in Scotland or at least negotiated some sort of deal that means for every English game broadcast in Scotland we get equal coverage of a Scottish game

It will never happen sadly, we've allowed English football a monopoly over the UK (with the assistance of the BBC)

We used to have that. Couldn't show English highlights unless a Scottish game was also shown. As you say though we can't turn the clock back

If we're going to run Scottish football for the benefit of TV companies and the fat-arsed armchair fans who never go to a game, then this is a great idea. Otherwise, it would be another nail in the coffin of our game. It would be time to shut up shop if this ever came about.

Why not monetize it?

Apart from that horrendous b*****disation of English....how is money from TV going at the moment as far as the Scottish game is concerned? Not too well, as we are constantly reminded. We get buttons, so would live games bring in big cash at the expense of people actually going to a game?

We had two home games v Rangers moved to ridiculous times when they were in our division and probably lost out on about £300k.....and for that we received the princely sum of £5k. OK, that's at the extreme, but do you not see that anything that reduces crowds is actually bad for the game? Bad for income, and bad for credibility.

As an aside, the clubs involved don't get anything from live Alba screenings, I believe. TV is not Scottish football's pal.

If you think the vast majority of people with an interest in football are at a game Saturday 3 pm you are an idiot.

The legalities would appear to make it a non starter so fine, but the if it's good enough for the most successful sporting league in the world there is maybe something we could learn from it.

Maybe there's something to be learned, but 100 percent definitely not this.

its not about the game thats on telly as that is likely to be a popular one anway, its more that people will choose to stay in and watch a live game from england/spain/glasgow rather than go to a local game. as someone already said the soccer saturday coupon crew are a real thing these days, most people like that i know dont have much interest in football itself, just whatever narrative sky are running with at the time, the EPL on sky is as much a soap opra as eastenders. i cant see showing games at 3 making our situation any better

^^^^^^^Didn't get English O Grade/GCSE.^^^^^^^

No wonder these ideas, and i use the term very loosely, get oxygen when The Cockwomble tells the Sunday Mail he's looking at their 'blueprint'. They slagged off Ernie Walker, Jim Farry, Roger fucking Mitchell and any other decent administrator who managed to succesfully organise more than a pissup in a brewery. Now look at whats left!!!

If we* did something like BTs UCL Goal Show, where they show the goals & major incidents just after they happen (which qualifies it as not being live and therefore permissible under UEFA rules) I'd pay** to watch that at 3pm on a Saturday if I wasn't at a game.

*I say 'we' because I'm still waiting for Scottish Fitba Television...the only way we'll ever get a fair crack of the whip from TV.

** PPV not a monthly subscription though, cuz I have commitment issues...

Archived