New badge for Ayr

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this heraldic badge shit cover everything outside of sport as well? If so schools, kids clubs and business would also be in line for a visit. Fecking nonsense!

Does this heraldic badge shit cover everything outside of sport as well? If so schools, kids clubs and business would also be in line for a visit. Fecking nonsense!

Covers all walks of life and not just sport. If you use something which is deemed to be "an heraldic device" by the Lord Lyon's Procurator Fiscal, then he can take action if it is not registered. Registration costs about £3,000 and is not a formality i.e. you can't register any shield with letters in it and you can't use the Saltire unless you are a recognised national institution.

CapitalDiamond,

A question if you don't mind.

If the 'objection' was Officially withdrawn, would the Lord Lyon 'stop' ?

From what I have seen, the response to the complainant noted that he might be called upon to give evidence. No one ever takes this matter to "the Lyon Court" because there is zero chance of success.

If he was to email the Lord Lyon's Procurator Fiscal to say that he didn't wish to give evidence I'm not sure that would help Ayr at all. On the one hand because he has made all that correspondence public, but on the other because the evidence that is required is only that Ayr United has a badge which is deemed to be an heraldic device. That's a fact and doesn't really require anyone in particular to stand up and testify. When it was Formatine the report made was anonymous.

The inconsistency is that the Lord Lyon's Procurator Fiscal doesn't take action unless a complaint is made. Prosecutions should only be brought if they are in the public interest. When I asked why that was the case with Airdrie's badge he told me that no one liked Airdrie. OK he didn't really, he said that by not registering the badge and paying the necessary fee that was an action akin to tax evasion.

That justification only works if it is consistently applied. The fact that a complaint triggers a prosecution is a nonsense. The badges are all in the public domain. They appear in the papers on nearly a daily basis. Part of me thinks that Ayr should force the issue by reporting every other senior football badge which is "an heraldic device" and asking what the Lord Lyon's PF is going to do about those. If it was all clubs and not just a one-off the outcry might actually be strong enough to change the status quo.

As it is, it all looks very familiar. A decent bit of press coverage for the club, an online petition signed by a modest number of people (including me) and no one really caring about it.

Interesting reading, Capital Diamond. A piece of nonsense is this law.

I'm pulling together a Parliament petition to raise the matter in Westminster. Have also sent off correspondence to Corri Wilson (Ayr MP) and fired an email off to Sturgeon to just chance it.

It might be small fry to target Ayr, Airdrie and Formartine United, but what is going to happen when Dundee, Hearts and the like get their names dragged in to it? You can be sure as shit they wont take it lying down.

Let's press for change to this ridiculous law!

Part of me thinks that Ayr should force the issue by reporting every other senior football badge which is "an heraldic device" and asking what the Lord Lyon's PF is going to do about those. If it was all clubs and not just a one-off the outcry might actually be strong enough to change the status quo.

I've been thinking the same, however it would take somebody ballsy to stand up and do that!

I've been thinking the same, however it would take somebody ballsy to stand up and do that!

Cameron should raise it at the next SPFL meeting and ask all member clubs to report themselves rather than anyone from the club doing it.

It is only a matter of time before these clubs are reported individually by some arsehole so the clubs should be proactive, and come together to expose the issue to a national audience.

Unfortunately that won't work. It will still be deemed to be Heraldic on the basis that there is still something there that could be painted onto a shield and carried into battle.

I know night out's in Ayr can be dodgy but carried into battle? Do they still joust down there also?

I wouldn't underestimate what we're up against here.

Mohammed Al Fayed, Donald Trump and companies such as Porsche have backed down when the Lord Lyon has taken action - as have Police Scotland. In footballing terms, Rangers (badge on the side of the Bill Struth Stand), Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hibs, Killie, St Mirren and Formartine have already been through this.

Getting 10,000 signatures on a Westminster petition won't be easy. We managed 1,500 on our change.org petition despite pushing it on here and taking it to the message boards of clubs potentially affected. While people agree that it's a nonsense, getting them to fill out a form online is not easy.

Even if you hit the 10,000 mark, that only forces Westminster to consider the issue (probably in some sort of Petitions Committee). A change to the law will not be straight-forward. Only Scotland is affected and so trying to have a bill passed through the Commons and Lords will be very difficult.

That said, unless the law is changed (and I think it would be fair for heraldry to remain as it is at present for Individuals, the armed forces and the Military), this will keep happening.

There should be support from across Scottish Football and the business world will have had its own experiences, but there's a high chance of failure.

Still better to have tried and failed. If I can help at all please shout.

We still prefer our old badge!

Archived