Brechin City -vs- Stenhousemuir

There's an interesting game in store at the Glebe on Saturday. The home side are propping up the table (they never turned that corner, did they?) and they take on in-form Stenhousemuir. When was the last time Stenny were ever in form?

The meeting between the sides in October was pretty interesting - the Warriors were the better of the two sides, with Alan Cook hitting a delicious goal to open the scoring, until two sudden, horrible pieces of defending allowed Brechin to take the lead. Stenny pulled a deserved point out of the bag when Carlos Manzan Martinez volleyed home a pearler.

Attack like we did that afternoon and we'll win the match; defend like we did and we'll draw or lose. Our forward play has been excellent and in Jason Scotland we have a genuine star who can take us into the play-offs. I don't think there's much between third and tenth - nine points separate the eight clubs after all - but someone as good as Scotland can make a huge difference to our chances. As I said on another thread, he's not much use without the ball, he won't really work the channels or chase defenders down, but he's outrageous in possession. He's great at holding up play and running at opponents. Four goals in his last three matches too, what a boy.

I'd like to think we're defending better throughout this little purple patch but we've lost six goals in our last three matches and every goal looks like it could have been avoidable. That said, Stuart Malcolm looked the part in the last two matches, Ross Meechan will have learned a lot coming up against Rory McAllister and Chris Templeman and Jamie McCormack and Jim Paterson appear to have found some form. Bomber Ferguson spoke about bringing in a goalkeeper on an emergency loan deal after Jamie Barclay's red card but regardless, I'd keep Sean Robertson in goal. He made a great save against Forfar and looked sound with the ball so he deserves to keep his place.

I'd line up:

- Colin McMenamin - Jason Scotland -

- Alan Cook - Jon Robertson - Kieran Millar - Mark Gilhaney -

- Jim Paterson - Ross Meechan - Stuart Malcolm - Jamie McCormack -

- Sean Robertson -

The only change to the previous week's line up is the goalkeeper and swapping Stephen Stirling for Jon Robertson. Stirling's looked a little subdued in recent weeks and I reckon Robertson deserves a chance (although he's pretty similar to Kieran Millar). No reason to say why we can't win - I'd be disappointed if we didn't, to be honest - but I'm still not 100 per cent convinced about our defending.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just spotted the story on BBC about Smith.

I find it hard to believe a player can make a mistake like that. Was he not at training during the week? Does he live in a bubble and not use the internet? I can just about understand a supporter making a mistake like this and it happens now and again, but a player?

He is going to get some terrible stick for this. :lol:

We were nt very good but did nt deserve too lose a very poor game ! Nothing between teams at all ! Noticed over last few games Dods is just clearing his lines and nvr passes the ball sometimes putting us back under pressure ! Tiffoney was a passenger and an embarrassment McCormack nvr touched him and he went down squealing then had a good chance to shoot but opted to dive ! Not the sort o thing I like to see! Another cracking goal from Isaac and an equally great finish from Jacko although it was deemed offside! Good to see James Dale get a run and he did quite well did nt just want to hoof it up park . We ve been poor 1st half of last 3 home games and only start playing 2nd half !! Defo a good chance o 3 points thrown away today more effort needed from certain players ! Best for me were Bates ,Perry n Tiger

Archived