Before they were famous...

Nutz_the_Squirrel

Oasis supporting Verve at the old Cathouse in Glasgow round about December 93.

Was there too.

Oasis were bottom of the bill.

A band called Acetone were above them.

Oasis were superb that night and I thought the new Stone Roses had arrived.

Supersonic came out a few weeks later and the rest is history.

Must have only been a few hundred there.

Was also when Verve were decent and before they "sold out'..prob due to Oasis strangely enough

One of the best, most memorable gigs ever, Underworld at Barrowlands shortly after Dubnobasswithmyheadman.

Way before the Trainspotting masses became interested.

Does Spiritualized at King Tuts count (not 'technically" new as Spacemen had just split up)

• 3 weeks later...

Biffy Clyro supporting Cooper Temple Clause in La Belle Angele in 2002 I think.

There were about 5 people in there when Biffy played, and they were all just the bands mates from Aberdeen Uni. I thought they were fantastic that night. Blew me away. Much better than CTC who I instantly forgot about. Then Biffy gradually got shiter and shiter. I actually saw them not too long ago here in Sao Paulo on their first visit to Brazil (just cos they were here) and they were just another spoiled rock band with expensive haircuts, skin products and clothes and poncy rock poses. They don't scream any more. They played Gliiter And Trauma and stopped the song before the best bit at the end with all the screaming. Boooooring.

Saw Coldplay at the Attic in Edinburgh back in November 99. They were supposed to be supporting Bellatrix, but got shifted up to headliner.

I saw the same bill at Tuts, although Coldplay were on first that night. Went downstairs for a pish during Bellatrix's set and decided to get a pint at the downstairs bar as it was quite quiet. Coldplay were huddled at one end of the bar, and after I sort of nodded acknowledgement, asked if I'd enjoyed their show. Diplomatically, I told them they weren't the sort of thing I was into but they were good at what they did which they seemed quite happy with.

Thinking back, if myself and a few others at that time had said "Nah, you're really pish and you should give up music" we probably could have saved the world a lot of pain in the years since.

• 2 weeks later...

The Fratellis (before Chelsea Dagger came out but I think Creeping Up The Backstairs was just released or was at least getting airplay) and Glasvegas before they were signed.

Saw a few American pop-punk bands on their first UK/Euro tours as supports for bigger bands at places like Strawberry Fields and the Cathouse and, next time they were over, were playing The Barras and the like.

Biffy Clyro supporting Cooper Temple Clause in La Belle Angele in 2002 I think.

There were about 5 people in there when Biffy played, and they were all just the bands mates from Aberdeen Uni. I thought they were fantastic that night. Blew me away. Much better than CTC who I instantly forgot about. Then Biffy gradually got shiter and shiter. I actually saw them not too long ago here in Sao Paulo on their first visit to Brazil (just cos they were here) and they were just another spoiled rock band with expensive haircuts, skin products and clothes and poncy rock poses. They don't scream any more. They played Gliiter And Trauma and stopped the song before the best bit at the end with all the screaming. Boooooring.

I saw Biffy on the very same tour at the On Air East in Dundee (now Buskers). I was there to see the CTC but my brother, who had seen Biffy previously in Arbroath, had mentioned that they were half decent but I didn't agree. They weren't my cup of tea then and I still find them a bit boring.

I can't really think of any other support acts who went on to big things. AFI (supporting the Offspring) became reasonably successful but not hugely and that's about it.

Most bands appear to turn pish once they start playing larger venues.

Be fucked if I know why any c**t would want to go to a "gig" in a stadium or exhibition centre.

Be as well watching it on fucking TV.

Oh, that's what actually happens anyway. Fucking pish.

I did see Stereosphincters supporting Subcircus in Glow in front of aboot 20 folk.

When they were half decent and without conceit.

Also saw Muse in there. they were crap.

And Idlewild, Captain time, supporting Warm Jets.

Saw James at the Venue in 85/86. Around 800 years before that Sit Down pish infested their set.

Saw Nirvana supporting Mudhoney. Somewie in Edinburgh. Allegedly.

That Razorlight pish, supportin the excellent Raveoneetes at King Tuts.

Primal Scream in their flowery stage, post anorak with the Fannies at the Beach Ballroom, '89.

JAMC smashing up shit in '85, though i do think they were quite notorious already. At the venue. Pixies as well.

One of my favourite (but affa political) bands ever Easterhouse, supporting The smiths at the Capital.

That Soup Dragoms at the Metro before that few years before that "I'm Free" John Inman shite.

Doonstairs fae that in the Pelican that "Ebeneezer Goode" c***s. Shamen?

Had a couple of great gigs in there with Swervedriver, Boo Radleys and Lush. I suppose the latter 2 did actually have chart success a few year later.

Could go on but have run oot o steam.

Later maybe.

Archived